• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragon Quest XI's Luminary/Hero for Smash! (CONFIRMED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I was surprised to see this guy apparently didn't have a thread yet, so I decided to go and make one for conveniences' sake.

So anyways...

Who is this guy?

The Luminary is the protagonist of the newest Dragon Quest title in the series, Dragon Quest XI. He is the latest in the long-line of traditional protagonists who embark on a long, daring journey where they both end up saving the world from some powerful evil overlord and discover a shocking revelation about their past heritage. In this case, he's the reincarnation of an ancient hero, Yggdrasil's Chosen One, who has to fulfill his long-awaited destiny after having reached his sixteenth birthday.

Why should he be in Smash?

Dragon Quest is one of the most influential RPGs of all time! It's games have had a far-reaching impact on the video game industry and the RPG genre in particular, standing alongside Final Fantasy as Square Enix's two titan franchises.

But besides that, Dragon Quest XI is proving itself to be another successful title in the series, having currently sold over four million copies worldwide. It's success in North America is also nothing to sneeze at; it's release was the biggest launch in DQ's history, having doubled DQIX's numbers. So suffice it to say, Dragon Quest XI has definitely earned its place.

What could he bring to the table?

The Luminary is a Magic Knight, being a swordsman with magical abilities (which mostly specialize in the Zap spell families), but he could also dual-wield swords if need be. He could also learn healing spells that could be translated over to Smash as him restoring healing points slightly (with the caveat being that it has a long casting time).

Supporters

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm down for just about any form of DQ representation in Smash and I plan to get XI when it hits the Switch, so I'll support.

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
When it comes to Dragon Quest representation. I feel The Luminary would be the best option, considering Dragon Quest XI is coming to Switch. I also think Luminary has the best design out of all the all the possible Dragon Quest reps out there. Then again, I don’t know a lot about this series, but Dragon Quest in Smash could change that fortune for me. So I would definitely like to support.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Luminary confirmed default rep for DQ Hero! Holy crap! I didn't see this coming, NGL. Still stoked regardless!

Still unsure if I want to make either him or Eight my go-to skin.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Is this the smallest support thread ever to get in?
From what I can see, Piranha Plant and Wii Fit Trainer didn't even have support threads. Besides, this is kind of a weird case, since it's four supported characters in one. (or at least three; I'm not sure if there was a thread for the Dragon Quest 4 hero)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Dunno. I think I remember the Greninja support thread in SSB4 being just as small, and there were cases of newcomers getting into Smash without having support threads like Cloud of all people.

It wasn't helped by Erdrick getting most of the limelight in terms of DQ speculation because of Verge (as well as admittedly my own negligence of the thread).

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
From what I can see, Piranha Plant and Wii Fit Trainer didn't even have support threads. Besides, this is kind of a weird case, since it's four supported characters in one. (or at least three; I'm not sure if there was a thread for the Dragon Quest 4 hero)
I don't think Richter had one either.

Greninja has a small one, but it was bigger than this.

Also while Piranha Plant didn't have one, Petey Piranha did and that was what was upgraded to their social thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With Hero's release apparently being in the next couple of weeks (if not the next couple of days), I think it's best to move the discussion to the Hero Social thread to keep it all in one place rather than having each costume (aside from Solo/Four) being splintered off into its own discussion thread.

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-official-hero-social-thread-under-construction.484867/

This thread (and the others based on Dragon Quest's heroes) will be preserved as it is so people can see how the support developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom