• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragon Quest: Draconic Quarrel

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Dragon Quest: Draconic Quarrel is a platform fighter based off of Dragon Quest.

Neutral attack

Cardinal tilt attacks

Cardinal smash attacks

Cardinal throws + pummels

Cardinal aerials + neutral air

Cardinal special moves (They almost always require MP)

2 ground rolls, spotdodge, shield, cardinal airdodges, neutral air dodge, air dash, and other “standard” smash moves. If you have an inquiry about if a certain thing is in the game, it is 99% of the time unless specifically stated, such as ledge slip kaswoosh.

Parry gives 6 frames of extra time to punish. Parry by putting up shields 5 frames before an attack connects. Counter by releasing shield 3 frames before an attack connects. Gives 8 frames extra time.

Every character has a super move. You build this super meter in casual matches by taking 2 stocks or losing 2 stocks. Each is unique, and some are status effects.

Every character has MP pools that vary.

Physical fighters have low MP pools, low MP recovery, and low MP passive regeneration. (10-250) (MP recovery 40% of damage dealt by normals)(1MP per second)

Magical knights have mid to high MP pools, decent MP recovery, and the best MP passive regen. (260-500) (MP recovered is equal to damage dealt by normals) (3 MP per second)

Mages have high MP pools, high MP recovery, and moderate passive MP regeneration. (600-999) (MP recovered is equal to 2x the damage dealt by Normals) (2 MP per second)

Physical fighters have special moves that take low amounts of MP required, like flame slash (2) and parallaxe (12). They have the best normals as well, with great combo tools and kill power. Warriors do not use spells. They only use abilities, which are essentially buffed normal attacks. They have ok recoveries and high weight on average.

Hero’s will have high and low mp moves, like gigagash (32) sword dance, (8) and kazap (48). They have good physical attacks, but worse than warriors, usually have good damage and combos. Spells and abilities are powerful, but usually bank on support rather than attack. They have the best recoveries and middle to high weight.

Mages will have incredible mp reserves, usually ranging from 800 to 999 mp. However, their spells have massive MP costs, like kaboomle (60), Kafrizzle (52), kazammle (42), and the coveted magic burst (All MP!). They have terrible to mediocre normals, but they restore the most MP proportionally and have high base knockback disallowing combos. Their specials are almost always incredible. Low weight and poor recoveries. Take 1.1 damage from normals and 0.9 from specials. Getting hit by spells has them lose 5 mp if the opponent is a mage, and the opponent gains 5 MP.

Stages will have 3 versions.

1. Tournament: This will have the stage stay in a fixed FD or battlefield layout that can be chosen at the beginning of the match. This is standard for official events.

2. Competitive: The stage switches from FD to battlefield during the match. This is standard for non-official events.

3. Normal: The default stage layout.

Stages will spawn items at fixed points if so desired. Item spawns are treasure chests. In casual stages, chests may be mimics that indiscriminately attack everybody! Defeat the mimic to gain an extra point toward your score!

Items are generally allowed in competitive play, however banning of items is allowed in game settings.

The items that spawn depend on stage layout. In normal, anything can spawn.

In tournament, only pre chosen items may spawn.

In competitive, 2 of 4 items are randomly selected to spawn throughout the match.

Music has 2 forms. Symphonic and synthesized.

Symphonic music is chosen by default should you not choose the music.

Synthesized must be manually chosen.

DLC: DLC is quite reserved in who is chosen. Most DLC is characters from Dragon quest, although DLC’s like Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Master Chief are rare but pleasant treats. (Only 5 third parties will be created. Submit wisely!)

DLC stages and music are included with fighters. DLC is free, and based off of online polls.

Story mode: Story mode is quite simple. A cutscene plays, you fight a battle, a cutscene plays. Sometimes you only have cutscenes. Story mode bosses are playable if you beat them 5 times in a roll without taking damage. Bosses are blatantly overpowered and are banned in competitive/online play.

The story mode is primarily to unlock bosses, and the story is exceedingly simple.

Multiplayer: You can play with people all over the world! You have multiple ways to play, including casual, for honor, and team battle.

Casual is a random match against unranked players where stages are put on default mode with all items.

For honor is a ranked competitive modes where you play others in your rank on competitive stages with one item that spawns. This mode determines whether you rank up by analyzing your wins and losses, as well as how easily you won your matches.

Team battle is a casual match except with a teammate. Attacks deal 90% of their normal damage, and MP is recovered 10% faster.

There are 11 (12) ranks, with 1 being the lowest ranked and one being the highest. They go from…

1. Slime
  2. She Slime
  3. Bubble slime
  4. Slime knight
  5. Snooty Slime knight
  6. Drake slime
  7. Dragon Slime
  8. King Slime
  9. Metal Slime
  10. Liquid metal Slime
  11. King Metal Slime
  12. Emperor Slime.

Ranks are purely for show, and don’t actually do anything than give you better opponents. However, items stop showing up at rank 9, metal slime. Emperor slime is kept hidden from the player until they unlock it, being intended as a secret. Only 1,000 players can be in Emperor slime at once, and it must be maintained by fighting other players and winning consistently. Lose too much, and you will be dropped! Assert your dominance!

Sleeping hibiscus (make people fall asleep)
Rock bomb shard (throwable boom spell)
Panacea (heals 30% and removes status effects)
Yggdrasil dew (heals all damage, including the enemies if they are too close)
Sage's elixir (restores 90 MP)
Wake Robin (wakes up sleeping teammate)
Coagulant (Paralyzes enemy)

New items are chosen through DLC voting. The 2 items with the most votes will be added! There are 6 items to be voted in each round.

Sleeping hibiscus and Coagulant are banned in competitive play.

Items will not spawn if a player stays near its spawn zone for more than 10 seconds, eliminating camping strategies.

Starting roster

Dragon Quest 11: Serena

Dragon Quest 2: Princess of Moonbrooke

Dragon Quest 3: Erdrick F!, Priest F!

Dragon Quest 4: Alena

Dragon Quest 5: TBA

Dragon Quest 6: TBA

Dragon Quest 7: TBA

Dragon Quest 8: TBA

Dragon Quest 10: Mjoll

DLC: 20 unconfirmed slots

Spells hierarchy: Spells follow a naming hierarchy.

First is the weakest yet least costly, usually one syllable spell. These spells are zam, zap, crack, frizz, woosh, sizz, bang, whack, heal, buff, accelerate, and oomph

Second is the stronger and more costly spell, usually with the -le suffix and has 2 syllables. These are zammle, zapple, crackle, frizzle, swoosh, sizzle, boom, thwack, midmeal, kabuff, acceleratle, and oomphle.

Third is usually the second strongest, usually having the Ka- prefix and 2 syllables. These are Kazam, kazap, kacrack, Kafrizz, kaswoosh, kasizz, kaboom, kathwack, and moreheal.

4th is the strongest, usually having both the ka- prefix and -le suffix. These are kazammle, kazapple, kacrackle, kafrizzle, kaswooshle, kasizzle, kaboomle, and multiheal.

5th and 6th is usually reserved for healing spells. These are full heal and Omniheal.

Job 1: Voting for the first character to add.

Rules for this job

1. Must be from Dragon Quest 4.
That’s all!

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Ah yes, I have to vote too!

Yea, I vote Alena! Bare fisted.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Cool! BTW you can choose what weapons they will use

Example: Ragnar>Swords.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
I am not too familiar with Dragon Quest but I'm glad we have more solo franchise platfighter creation threads as compared to big crossover ones.

Meena Mahabala

560px-MeenaDQIVDSArtwork.png

I do not know too many Dragon Quest characters but a fortune telling moveset would be kind of cool. She just seems cool. I recognize Alena from the Fortune Street games back when they crossed over with Mario and what not so I may know some Dragon Quest characters.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
BTW submissions end Thursday (don’t let champion of Hyrule know…) and voting begins on Friday!

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Torneko
1664929559945.jpeg

I made like two posts about this dude yesterday for some reason so why not right now too? He’s the protagonist of his own series and adding a merchant would be nice, plus he has lots of abilities in his spinoff series that would set him apart

The extent of my Dragon Quest experience is 20 minutes of the original game and the dragon quest your story movie but this does seem pretty fun so I’ll be participating in the future when I can

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule FazDude FazDude AlteredBeast AlteredBeast Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
Voting is complete! Our new character is...

Alena!

Alena is a martial artist princess who sets out of her homeland to help people and become the strongest fighter alive! With heavy hitting blows and extreme speed, Alena excels at pressuring opponents with fast options, but her lack of ranged attacks leave her struggling when faced with long disjoints and powerful zoning tools. Her high luck allows her to cut the chance of dying to a whack spell in half. The only character in the game without an MP pool, she can hit hard and do it consistently. She has an alternate costume based off of the shimmering dress, armor in her game!

Next Job is... Voting for the next job!

Option 1: Create a moveset for Alena
Option 2: Vote on a stage that appears in Dragon Quest 4.

You have until Tuesday to vote!

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Sorry for being so late!

Option 2 wins!

The stage selection is between

Hidden valley, a quaint village that the Zenithian Hero grew up in.

The Zenithian castle, a castle floating in the sky

Castle Nadriria, a castle commanded by 4 tyrants

You may also work on Alenas moveset during voting.

Voting lasts from now till Friday.

Next jobs:

A monster as a playable character

submitting an addition item.

I vote for Hidden Valley.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Zenithian castle

And I’ll submit Golem. Wanted to submit a monster other than Slime so I went with this one because I think it’s moveset could be interesting

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Zenithian castle wins! A simple flat stage, similar to FD. However, it is the only stage where items spawn on the sides of the stage, forcing you to take risks to obtain them. Item spawn respawn times are also doubled.

Monster submitting ends tomorrow! Voting beings Monday and ends thyroidday.

In the meantime, try to figure out what items you want.

Top Bottom