• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary Livestream News Summary

dragon quest news.jpg

Last night, a livestream presentation was held for the 35th anniversary of the Dragon Quest series. The event promised to show off much of what was to come for the series in the near future, and it more than delivered.

During the livestream, 6 major announcements (5 of which were new games) for the Dragon Quest series were announced. They are as follows:
  • Dragon Quest Keshi Keshi (Trailer)
    • A Japanese mobile game featuring many Dragon Quest characters. No actual gameplay was shown.
  • Dragon Quest X Version 6 Update (Trailer)
    • An update for the Japanese exclusive Dragon Quest X.
  • Dragon Quest X Offline (Trailer)
    • An offline version of the MMORPG game Dragon Quest X, featuring chibi-styled characters.
    • Releasing in early 2022 for Japan. No worldwide release planned as of now.
  • Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake (Trailer)
    • A remake of Dragon Quest III that incorporates the same HD/2D style seen in Octopath Traveler.
    • No release date announced yet, however they are aiming for simultaneous worldwide release.
  • Dragon Quest Treasures (Trailer)
    • A non-traditional RPG spin-off featuring Erik and Mia from Dragon Quest XI.
    • No release date announced yet, however a Worldwide release is planned at some point.
  • Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate (Teaser Trailer)
    • The next mainline installment in the Dragon Quest series. Will feature an updated battle system as well as a more "adult" experience.
    • No release date or systems announced yet, however it was said that they're aiming for a simultaneous worldwide release.

dq3 remake.jpg
dq12.jpg

Needless to say, fans of the Dragon Quest series have a lot to look forward to in the coming years.

Author's Note: Which announcement are you the most excited for? Let us know in the comments below!

Sari

Comments

Wonder how Dragon Quest fans are feeling about this part here.
Yeah even though i never really play them my favourite part is how silly these games are! i also dont get what they mean by "ADULT" after all i played DQ7 and it had some DARK **** in it!

DQ12's premise sounds interesting, I wonder if FFXVI and DQXII are following similar grittiness paths. Not that big on the DQ3 remake tbh, the Octopath style isn't my thing and it doesn't look much like Toriyama on the surface. I'd need to see a bit more details before considering.

Only two things I was hoping to see:
1. DQX releasing in the west (didn’t get that but there’s some hope of the offline version releasing worldwide despite current plans)
2. A DQ12 announcement (which I got though a little worried how this “adult” theme will impact the charm of the series)
——
the other stuff looks great

Looking back on the stream, I’m pretty sure the person who said it would be more adult wasn’t actually the developer, but actually the host of the stream, and “more adult” seemed to just be his first impression of the trailer because of the fire. It’s also important to agnowledge the exact wording of “more adult” might have been different in the original Japanese.

I’m kind of getting the impression that the story will be slightly more mature, but tonally it’ll mostly remain the same. Dragon Quest games don’t change up much that often, and I’m 99% sure “more adult” won’t be that big of a tonal shift. People are probably making too big a deal out of the line IMO.

Top Bottom