• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragon Ball FighterZ

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Developed by Arc System Works, Dragon Ball FighterZ is an upcoming 3v3 fighting game featuring characters from the Dragon Ball series.

---

Confirmed characters
  • Goku
  • Vegeta
  • Gohan (teen)
  • Frieza
  • Cell
  • Majin Buu (good)
  • Future Trunks
  • Piccolo
  • Krillin
  • Android 16
  • Android 18 (17 shows up in some of her moves)
  • SSB Goku
  • SSB Vegeta
  • Tien
  • Yamcha
  • Nappa
  • Captain Ginyu (with Ginyu Force in certain moves)
  • SSJ3 Gotenks
  • Ultimate Gohan
  • Kid Buu
  • Beerus
  • Hit
  • Goku Black
  • Majin Android 21
  • Bardock (DLC)
  • Broly (DLC)
  • Vegito Blue (DLC)
  • Merged Zamasu (DLC)
  • Base form Goku (DLC)
  • Base form Vegeta (DLC)
  • Cooler (DLC)
  • Android 17 (DLC)
  • Jiren (DLC)
  • Videl (DLC)
  • Kid Goku GT (DLC)
  • Janemba (DLC)
  • DBS Broly (DLC)
  • SSB Gogeta (DLC)
  • Kefla (DLC)
  • Ultra Instinct Goku (DLC)
  • Roshi (DLC)
  • Super Baby 2 (DLC)
  • SSJ4 Gogeta (DLC)

Who are you hoping makes it in? Post anything regarding this game here!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Since this post was made, Future Trunks, Krillin, Piccolo, Android 18 (with 17 as an assist), and Android 16 have all been announced as being on the base roster, along with Super Saiyan Blue Goku and SSB Vegeta as unlockable characters.

The game's website also hints that we'll be getting multiple forms for Gohan and Buu, since they (along with Goku and Vegeta) have additional details listed beside their names on their character pages.

I've done a mock-up of what I think the roster could be like, though I'm not 100% sure about some of the choices.

I figure there will be a lot of overlap between Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden, the 3DS fighting game made by Arc System Works, and this game in terms of their rosters. The only character that I cut was Broly, since Kale is very similar, and I didn't include Jiren because I figure that there's not much known about him at the point where they're developing the game. (so far, in the ongoing arc, I'm pretty sure he's only attacked a grand total of once)

Aside from the roster of Extreme Butoden (minus Broly) and the already-announced characters, I included the following people:

Tien: the three major Dragon Ball heroes who weren't in Extreme Butoden were Tien, Yamcha, and Roshi. Yamcha has the least varied moveset of the three, and while Roshi nearly made the cut, Tien's more consistently prominent. (plus, he can fly, and one of the producers is a fan of him from what I've read)

Hit: of the opponents in the Universe 6 vs. Universe 7 arc, Hit is easily the most unique and popular. Botamo and Magetta may be unique, but they aren't all that noteworthy, and Frost and Cabba may be quite important, but they aren't unique.

Fused Zamasu: aside from being the most unambiguously evil villain that Super has, he seems like a good fit for the "ultra cheap final boss" concept that most fighting games run with. (either him or Beerus, but Zamasu has the look for it)

Kale: I went with her over Broly because, while both are popular, Kale's more recent and has more of a personality than "destroy Kakarot!"

Caulifla: it seems weird to have Kale and not include her as well; besides, of the Universe 6 Saiyans who have been shown, she seems to be the most prominent.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I finding it strange this thread isn't getting enough attention. This has all the makings of a great game! The main post might want to include Piccolo, Krillen, Android 16, and Android 18/17.

I hope they don't create a massive roster that seems to plague DBZ-fighting games in my opinion. Here is a list of characters I would like to see included:

Tien/Chaotzu (18/17 type pairing)
Yamacha/Paur (Puar will have a greatly lessened role)
Goten
Trunks
Brolly
Bardock
Kid Buu
Beerus
Whis
Master Roshi
Frost
Hit
Satan

And a few curve balls for good measure

King Piccolo
Garlic Jr.
Tapion
Uub
Grandpa Gohan

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
My predictions for the roster:

• Tien (with Chiaotzu showing up in certain moves)
  • Yamcha or Mr. Satan (joke character)
  • Captain Ginyu (with Ginyu Force incorporated into his moves)
  • Gotenks
  • Ultimate Gohan
  • Super Buu (they could maybe incorporate Buutenks/Buuccolo/Buuhan so he has different moves/stats depending on the form)
  • Kid Buu
  • Broly
  • Bardock
  • Beerus
  • Hit
  • Caulifla (we need some more female representation)
  • Goku Black (with Rose transformation)
  • Fused Zamasu (with corrupted transformation, like Megadoomer said he could be the final boss)

And my personal wishlist which has no chance of making it:

• Gogeta (with SSJ4 transformation)
  • Super Vegito (with SSB transformation)
  • SSJ4 Goku
  • Janemba
  • Cooler

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I've never been a fan of stand alone transformations as characters. When it's included with the character, that gives us the incentive to wish to power into it.

As for fusions, given the team-up nature of he game, perhaps it could be possible to fuse with certain characters to combine two characters into one? This could be a special mechanic that lasts for a certain time limit but enhances all the stats and allows for new moves and abilities?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Tien, Yamcha, and the brand new character Android 21 confirmed. Chiaotzu also shows up in some of Tien's moves like many were expecting:

Unknown if 21 is playable as of now, though she looks cool.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Trailers have been released for Tien and Yamcha.

Watching this, combined with the latest Super episodes, makes me want to see Roshi in this game, just to see what they could do with him.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Nappa and Captain Ginyu confirmed.

Nappa can use Saibamen in his moveset. Ginyu utilizes the Ginyu force as expected, and he has body change which even swaps your health. I expect this will lead to a ton of salt.

People are mad about Nappa but personally I'm glad he made it. We need more heavy characters and he has a ton of moveset potential.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...undle/c24md2gksd1k?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0

Some potential information about Dragon Ball FighterZ - this seems way too specific to be a placeholder.

The release date seems to be January 26th, 2018. That seems weird, since it's earlier than the Japanese release date.

Also, there's going to be eight DLC characters - Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Vegeta are advertised as "early unlocks" as opposed to DLC, so it's going to be eight characters that we don't know about yet.

I'm guessing at least half of them will be from the Tournament of Power (Jiren, Caulifla, Kale, Ribrianne?), and they'll come out after that arc has finished. Maybe Android 21 will be one of them? From what we've seen, she doesn't seem to be a playable character at the moment.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Steam page is up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/678950/DRAGON_BALL_FighterZ/

Releasing on January 28th for $60. FighterZ edition includes a season pass for 8 new characters after the game releases all for $95 (essentially $4.38 per character). Ultimate edition includes the season pass, 11 anime music tracks, and some voice commentary for a whopping $110.

It's funny seeing people freakout about the season pass, as if DBFZ is the only game out there that plans a season pass ahead of time. If all the 8 DLC characters are fully in-game at launch then I can understand the frustration, but otherwise everyone is making mountains out of molehills.

I do agree though that the ultimate edition is overpriced, but I'm assuming it's because of licensing regarding the anime's soundtrack. Either way I'll most likely get the base game though I might get the FighterZ edition.

-----

So who do you guys think the 8 DLC characters will be? My predictions:
  • Super Buu
  • Vegito (with SSB transformation)
  • Janemba
  • Hit
  • Goku Black
  • Merged Zamasu
  • Caulifla
  • Ultra Instinct Goku

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like it depends on what the final roster is (they may throw some curveballs in there), but if I had to guess...

Jiren
Kale
Caulifla

All three of them are for the same reason - they're major characters in the Tournament of Power, but that won't be done for a while.

Android 21

From what we've seen so far, she doesn't appear to be playable, but I could see her being the first character added through DLC.

Hit
Fused Zamasu

Depends on if we're getting any Super content in the base game or not. If not, then they seem like the best options, as they're the main villains of Super's story arcs. (if they do make it into the base game, replace them with other major characters from the Tournament of Power, like Toppo and Ribrianne)

Vegito

I'm not sure if they'd add a third Goku through DLC, but fusions between Goku and Vegeta seem popular enough that I could see one of them making it in.

Janemba

This seems like a long shot, but I could see him working well in the game. He's unique, both in terms of design and abilities, and he's fairly popular. Not as popular as Broly or Cooler, but I can't see us getting both Kale and Broly. Alternatively, replace him with Roshi or Bardock if they don't make it onto the base roster.

EDIT: Given that Android 21, some form of Zamasu, and Hit are playable, I'd replace them and Vegito with Dr. Gero, Kid Goku, Roshi, and Toppo.

To sum it up, my preferences would be Jiren, Toppo, Caulifla, Kale, Janemba, Dr. Gero, Kid Goku, and Master Roshi

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Gotenks, Kid Buu, and Ultimate Gohan confirmed:

All were expected but still great to finally see. Gotenks even has his volleyball move, and the other person hitting it can be Piccolo or someone on your team.

Also while unconfirmed, Beerus and Hit are most likely going to be in-game as well based on this screenshot.

So assuming Beerus and Hit are true, that brings the roster count to 22. lt's been widely speculated that there will be 24 characters, so who could the other 2 be?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Beerus, Hit, and Rose Black officially confirmed.

(lol to those who thought the Hit pic from earlier was Ginyu)

Also special KO's based on famous DB scenes:

So now the roster is up to 23 characters, and I'm assuming the final one will be Android 21. Just one more month...

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
For once I really like a fighting game roster. They managed to include iconic characters along with unique and fun characters to create a balanced roster. Still hoping we get Brolly, Master Roshi, Dabora, Janeemba, Jaco, and Cooler.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For anyone planning to get the game through Steam, the PC requirements have been revealed.

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/949385026356920322

If you Google "finding graphics card", you should be able to see how to determine if your computer's specifications are good enough. With Windows 10, you just type "dxdiag" into the search on the bottom-left corner.

D

Deleted member

I really want this game. First Dragon Ball game in long time to interest me.

Especially if we get a Switch port down the line.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Majin Android 21 confirmed as the last character.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I'm more interested in how unique everyone plays. Yamcha, for example, seems to be the Rekka Ken character, which should mean that he's good against opponents that like to block since he could change up very quickly whether he's attacking high or low. Android 16 is obviously a grappler. However, as far as most of the rest of the cast goes, it isn't clear to me how the characters are significantly different from one another, which might be because a lack of imagination on the part of the devs or the beta players I've seen thus far. It seems like you could play almost any character and still get the same experience, like your choice doesn't matter---unlike Vergil, versus Phoenix Wright, versus Iron Fist. That doesn't make a good fighting game, in my opinion.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
With a starting roster of 24 and 8 DLCs confirmed, we've been trying to figure out who could be DLC.

Here's some speculation, divided into 5 categories
  • Appeared in original series up to the End of Z
  • Appeared in the movies
  • Appeared in Super (specifically, the Univeral Surival Arc)
  • Appeared in GT or other non-canon work
  • Oh man, not another [character already in game]
DBFZ.png

I have a hard time making a list of 8 I'm confident in but ones I think are locks are
  1. Broly
  2. Jiren
  3. Master Roshi (super gave him a lot to work with)
  4. The Universe 6 female Sayians (either as Kale or Califla with the other as assist or as Kaefla)
  5. Arale (if licencing is sorted out)
  6. Bardock
What do you all think?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
My guesses for DLC are:

• Broly (very popular and we need more giant characters)
  • Janemba (another popular movie character, who has potential for his teleportation and sword attacks)
  • Roshi (series staple)
  • Vegito w/ SSB transformation (very popular and has a ton of moveset potential)
  • Super Buu w/ various absorption transformations (could have an interesting mechanic where he can transform into Buuhan/Buucolo/Buutenks, each with their own moves/stats similar to Shulk's monado arts; also the only main version of Buu we don't have yet)
  • Merged Zamasu w/ the half purple face (again we need more bulky characters and he has a lot of potential)
  • Kefla (very popular with a lot of moveset potential, plus we need more female fighters; a Caulifla/Kale duo like 17/18 could also work)
  • Jiren (easily the strongest opponent Goku has faced as of now so he is ripe for being a character)
Honorable mentions: Cooler, Dabura, Gogeta.

There could also be some characters from GT (Omega Shenron, SSJ4 Gogeta) but I'm going to assume GT won't be present at all.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Now that the game's out, who has it? Which characters are you enjoying?

I'm really liking Kid Buu so far, though I'll have to experiment with other characters to see which ones I particularly enjoy playing as.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Now that the game's out, who has it? Which characters are you enjoying?

I'm really liking Kid Buu so far, though I'll have to experiment with other characters to see which ones I particularly enjoy playing as.
My brother's copy just came in today. So far I've been enjoying Gotenks, Nappa, and Teen SSJ2 Gohan. Yamcha has also been very fun to use.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Bardock and Broly confirmed as the first 2 DLC characters:

Broly was expected though I'm surprised at Bardock, especially since everyone complained about there being so many Goku-like characters. Still glad he made it though. Broly's confirmation also means we can start speculating movie characters, so Janemba and Cooler still have a chance.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I’m just sitting here hoping that my boys Janemba and Cooler in his Fifth form make it in.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Base form Goku and Vegeta confirmed

Am I the only one who is excited for these characters? Everyone is (understandably) pissed at yet another Goku/Vegeta, but the Saiyan saga is my favorite DBZ arc and the kaioken mechanic seems interesting.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Base Goku and base Vegeta seem like lazy choices, in my eyes. I get that base Goku can use the Kaio Ken and Spirit Bomb, but aside from his Great Ape form (which he doesn't even seem to use), there's nothing that base Vegeta can do that the other two Vegetas don't already have covered.

It's like if Dark Pit, Doctor Mario, or Pichu were made into paid DLC for Smash Bros. This doesn't seem to be a situation like BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle, where they make an unpopular decision (in that case, making half of the main cast of RWBY as DLC when they're one of the main franchises in the game) and make up for it by making the characters free - if the cost of the season pass is any indication, they're going to cost the same as Fused Zamasu or Vegito, which just seems silly.

It's especially frustrating since the series has so much to draw from. Even if they couldn't use the Tournament of Power, which gave us so many interesting and unique characters (and also Jiren), there's still characters from the original Dragon Ball, characters from movies, characters like Dr. Gero or Roshi who could have really interesting moves (especially since Gero has strong ties to the game's main villain, and he was playable in another 2D DBZ fighting game), Arale from Dr. Slump... I could keep going on and on.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Jiren and Videl confirmed through a leaked trailer. Will be releasing on January 31st (will also be updating the OP since I haven't done it in forever):

Also DBS Broly and SSB Gogeta confirmed.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Only six characters in this season pass, which is understandable - it's not like the first pass, where they had an entire series (Super) to work off of.

I hope that Roshi's one of them, mainly for the creative moveset potential. Not sure who I'd want for the last spot - Janemba? Mr. Satan/Hercule? Arale? Dr. Gero? Kale/Caulifla/Kefla?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Only six characters in this season pass, which is understandable - it's not like the first pass, where they had an entire series (Super) to work off of.

I hope that Roshi's one of them, mainly for the creative moveset potential. Not sure who I'd want for the last spot - Janemba? Mr. Satan/Hercule? Arale? Dr. Gero? Kale/Caulifla/Kefla?
I have a feeling at least one of the spots will go to Kefla since she's really popular and would incorporate both Caulfila and Kale as well as bring in another female character to the roster.

Jiren was expected but I'm actually really glad we got Videl. I'm especially hyped for Gogeta since he's my favorite DB character (would've preferred his SSJ4 form but this is fine too). I can't say I'm too excited for the new Broly though since we already sort of have him (I'd rather have him be an alternate costume than to take up someone else's slot).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Since this thread was last posted in, we got Kid Goku (from GT, though there are some elements from the original Dragon Ball), Janemba, Gogeta, Broly (Dragon Ball Super), and a new season pass with five more characters. At the moment, only two are revealed (Kefla and Ultra Instinct Goku) - I've seen rumours and supposed leaks about who two of the unknown characters could be, though I have no idea how valid they are.

I haven't really played the game much since season 1 ended, but I got it on the Switch, and I'm enjoying the chance to try out new characters, replay the story mode, and see more of Dragon Ball. (Jiren is incredibly bland in my experience so far, but everyone else is fun)

How's everyone been enjoying the game? What team combinations work for you? Who do you hope to see in those last three DLC spots? (I'm hoping for Roshi, at the very least. Uub and Arale would be nice, though I doubt we'll actually get them in the game)

Also, I've seen people really wanting to see Majin Vegeta in the game, though I don't know why. I get that he'd have a cool dramatic finish against Mr. Buu, but it's basically Super Saiyan Vegeta with no armour, electricity sparking around him, and a tiny M on his forehead. They'd probably change up the basic moves a little bit, like how Hyper Dragon Ball Z did it, but do we really need another Goku or Vegeta at this point?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I updated the OP with the new characters that have been added.

My two main characters are Teen Gohan and Gotenks. Third character would either be Base Vegeta or Gogeta Blue, but it's hard to choose.

Oh yeah also the Latin Bandai Namco Twitter account just posted this:

Assuming this is true, Roshi is in. I'm perfectly fine with this since he was one of my most wanted along with SSJ4 Gogeta.

Also, I've seen people really wanting to see Majin Vegeta in the game, though I don't know why. I get that he'd have a cool dramatic finish against Mr. Buu, but it's basically Super Saiyan Vegeta with no armour, electricity sparking around him, and a tiny M on his forehead. They'd probably change up the basic moves a little bit, like how Hyper Dragon Ball Z did it, but do we really need another Goku or Vegeta at this point?
Yeah this would be really pointless. If any other Goku/Vegeta is to get in, it should be SSJ4 and that's it (but even that is stretching it).

Oracle Link

Smash Master
My personal Dream would be a Roster even better than DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi3/Sparking Meteor (Extra Characters like Teen/Super Goku Super villans and maybe Bulma) with artstyle of Fighterz
but i know this will never Happen

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
New character leaked through V Jump.

And the next FighterZ character is...

Super Baby 2

I actually wanted this character so I can't say I'm too mad. Still weird they got in over Omega Shenron.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
New character leaked through V Jump.

And the next FighterZ character is...

Super Baby 2

I actually wanted this character so I can't say I'm too mad. Still weird they got in over Omega Shenron.
Dragon ball fighterz handling of leaks is just terribble

Nice that we get a Gt Villan (even though i still need to watch it)

I think this means we hopefully dont get Majin Vegeta or Vegeta SSGSS but darker

also i lot of People think theyre too many Gokus yet they want more Vegetas Goku has a lot more Forms/Variants in the Show For Example Gt Goku should have been Gt Goku and Kid Goku maybe in the Sequel they split them up we could remove Goku SSgSS to make room!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Dragon ball fighterz handling of leaks is just terribble
I mean I wouldn't really blame this on FighterZ. They occasionally announce fighters through V Jump, and the entirety of V Jump usually gets leaked 2-3 days before it releases each month. This isn't like the SSB4 leak or anything like that.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well the final character is here and needless to say I AM SUPER EXCITED!

Favorite Dragon Ball character as well as my most wanted FighterZ character. I am completely satisfied now.

Top Bottom