• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Dr. Mario Social Thread - Witches? Dragons?...I've seen worse walk into my office.

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys ever confirmed an offstage tornado kill after a Uair like in this video? https://youtu.be/6uVw_OwZUSE?t=2m44s
I've tried going for it but people always seem to have time to air dodge. I've done upB before, but I don't like going for it since if I fail the Breverse thats a lost stock. It's incredibly stylish and it seems like the high base knockback on tornado allows for early kills.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Have you guys ever confirmed an offstage tornado kill after a Uair like in this video? https://youtu.be/6uVw_OwZUSE?t=2m44s
I've tried going for it but people always seem to have time to air dodge. I've done upB before, but I don't like going for it since if I fail the Breverse thats a lost stock. It's incredibly stylish and it seems like the high base knockback on tornado allows for early kills.
You can just down b instead. If you want to try up air to down b, bait the airdodge.

Up-B is easy to b reverse on hit since the window to reverse it is large.

Also, up throw to fair might be a thing. Don't think it will kill though.

https://twitter.com/Tsumeato0213/status/713521604307779585?s=09

Last edited:

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
You can just down b instead. If you want to try up air to down b, bait the airdodge.

Up-B is easy to b reverse on hit since the window to reverse it is large.

Also, up throw to fair might be a thing. Don't think it will kill though.

https://twitter.com/Tsumeato0213/status/713521604307779585?s=09
Wow, if I don't remind myself that he's a top tier/glass cannon, I sometimes feel bad for Fox seeing how so many ridiculous strings can work on him because of his fall speed(despite also being very light).

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
TO BE DEVELOPPED

I noticed while trying to find new mixups as Doc & expanding our footstool combos that the platform of Smashville will cancel the height we're supposed to gain after doing DownThrow -> Footstool. This may open possibilities, and most importantly, either extend our range for the dthrow to footstool combo or the number of characters affected by it.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
I just came to the sudden realization that up-throw is the superior throw for about 40%.

Hooray me.

I don't want to sound like a scrub but what do you guys think of Bidou?

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I have no idea how good it is for Doc, but I kinda want to get a Wii U just so that I can see how much easier it is to actually do all of that stuff :S.

Kudemo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-3102-0316
Hey guys, i need advices to choose a second character who can deal with bad mu of doc. What is for you the best choice ? I don't want to play mario because i already choose to play doc instead of him.

P.S. F I R E E M B L E M B O Y Z

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Hey guys, i need advices to choose a second character who can deal with bad mu of doc. What is for you the best choice ? I don't want to play mario because i already choose to play doc instead of him.

Why not :4cloud:? Fast + good range + relatively straightforward. Overall, a really good pick. Other good picks imo are :4diddy:, :4zss:, and:4sheik:.

EDIT: Love your videos. :4drmario: Boyz!

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman

Meta Knight is a pretty good choice in my opinion. Despite nerfs, his rosa matchup remains very doable, so are Sonic, Ryu, and some other troublesome doc matchups for the doctor. Wario can also be considered, but leaves an overall weakness to swordfighters, especially Cloud.

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
God I love that short screen freeze when you land the sweetspotted fsmash on somebody

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
At times I wonder if Doc is the most forgotten about character in this game...

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
Apparently pills do a pretty good job of jab resetting, especially after a short hop Uair

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Down Throw weak Bair -> strong Bair seems to be a thing on fastfallers. Can kill on the sides of the stage. Thinking that down throw bair can be used on fastfallers at high percents instead of down throw up air. I say this because I think the bair will hit if they don't DI or DI forward. Still need to check it out.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Concept: A lot of characters have goofy looking combos off of falling up air (think Falco, Falcon, ZSS, etc.) and this is due to both the hitstun produced by the move and the generous autocancel window. Mario's up air ladder on battlefield works because he lands on platforms midway through the combo. I wanted to check if I could do something similar with Doc. If you land on the platform and cancel the up air, you can connect a few attacks consistently on certain characters (still a WIP). Examples include jab, down smash, up-b, up tilt (if the spacing is right it will combo and lead into an up air), forward tilt and down tilt. Doesn't matter if it's a rising up air or a falling up air, but it has to autocancel. Keep in mind that like Mario's up air, this only starts to work at certain percents.

DJSKRELP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NotApplicable
3DS FC
3024-8713-4194
Something I've experimented with lately is wall jump pivot pill as an edge guarding tool. It is pretty interesting. It can have great situational use (such as a Ness recovering low but is within distance to recover and cape/ pills on stage won't reach).

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Concept: A lot of characters have goofy looking combos off of falling up air (think Falco, Falcon, ZSS, etc.) and this is due to both the hitstun produced by the move and the generous autocancel window. Mario's up air ladder on battlefield works because he lands on platforms midway through the combo. I wanted to check if I could do something similar with Doc. If you land on the platform and cancel the up air, you can connect a few attacks consistently on certain characters (still a WIP). Examples include jab, down smash, up-b, up tilt (if the spacing is right it will combo and lead into an up air), forward tilt and down tilt. Doesn't matter if it's a rising up air or a falling up air, but it has to autocancel. Keep in mind that like Mario's up air, this only starts to work at certain percents.
SH FF Uair as always been pretty good for mixing things up with 2 hits combos starting with it.
Lot of stuff can be done with it, especially if you used it enough to condition your opponent into defensive options, most notably airdodging.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
SH FF Uair as always been pretty good for mixing things up with 2 hits combos starting with it.
Lot of stuff can be done with it, especially if you used it enough to condition your opponent into defensive options, most notably airdodging.
Was not talking about sh ff specifically, but yeah that could work. I meant that you can use ff uairs to extend combos.

E.g on battlefield against zss around 45 pct, middle of the stage: down throw, up air, fastfall onto middle platform, jab combo. And so on.

DJSKRELP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NotApplicable
3DS FC
3024-8713-4194

I'd say Sheik. Sheik has her flaws, but can land more safely and can cover his bad match ups.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I'm going to try and main Doc over Luigi in smash 4 to improve my consistency, both in smash 4 and other games. When I play Luigi in multiple games, I sometimes try doing things I know doesn't work, so I'm going to use him mainly in PM and Melee, since the adjustments arent as important.

On a side note, Luigi cyclone requires way to much effort.

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
MistressRemilia MistressRemilia The puzzle game. (Original Nes)

I like playing puzzle games. Playing puzzle games helps me think, it can benefit into playing smash thinking a step ahead of your opponent.

:pow:

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
MistressRemilia MistressRemilia The puzzle game. (Original Nes)

I like playing puzzle games. Playing puzzle games helps me think, it can benefit into playing smash thinking a step ahead of your opponent.

You should try Professor Layton then. Really good series of puzzle games (with good story and animation too)

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I think Prof. Layton and Dr Mario could be good academic buddies.

Just to introduce myself, I'm a Meta Knight main from the UK. Have played Doc for a while casually cause he's fun as heck and have recently decided to take him more seriously as a competitive secondary for certain MUs, alongside DK. I met itsameSMB itsameSMB at Albion last weekend and played a few friendlies which were fun (hi, I was the MK guy with glasses), and successfully counterpicked Doc into a Fox to win a set which was pretty great.

Hopefully I'll get an invite to the Discord, which I imagine is where most of the discussion takes place, so I can meet others and learn more of the ways of the Doctor. Also if there are other UK- or EU-based Docs out there, let me know and I'll look out for you at future tourneys!

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I believe there is a tournament coming up in Lyon, France. I think Kudemo (Swiss Doc player for those who are unaware) is going. I'll try to find the stream info.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
I think Prof. Layton and Dr Mario could be good academic buddies.

Just to introduce myself, I'm a Meta Knight main from the UK. Have played Doc for a while casually cause he's fun as heck and have recently decided to take him more seriously as a competitive secondary for certain MUs, alongside DK. I met itsameSMB itsameSMB at Albion last weekend and played a few friendlies which were fun (hi, I was the MK guy with glasses), and successfully counterpicked Doc into a Fox to win a set which was pretty great.

Hopefully I'll get an invite to the Discord, which I imagine is where most of the discussion takes place, so I can meet others and learn more of the ways of the Doctor. Also if there are other UK- or EU-based Docs out there, let me know and I'll look out for you at future tourneys!
Nice to see more & more people coming into the Doc Boards, always nice to see more new faces.
Anyway, if you're wondering about anything about Doc's matchups, metagame, or just something, feel free to share them, as well sharing even the tiniest bit of knowledge or help you might have about the character, we'll gladly take part into the discussion, so that we can hopefully push our character more & more as the metagame goes on.
I'd also gladly meet you, but i can't really travel, i'm a bit busy with everything, i'll warn people if i go to a meaningful tournament, i've only been going to locals tournaments with often no PR'd playrs & just a lack of threats sadly.

Anyway, enjoy the Doc boards!

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Here's every character you can do a grounded footstool up b garanteed on excluding miis, Corrin, Cloud, and Bayo (haven't bought them yet, will someone test for me?). All tests are on 3D stages, so 2D stages such as Duck Hunt my have special expections.
Mario, Doc, Luigi, Yoshi, Rosalina if luma is hit (not reliable), Wario, G & W, Sheik, Duck Hunt if facing opposite directions, King DeDeDe, Charizard, Captain Falcon if facing opposite directions, Pac Man if facing opposite directions, Mega Man, Sonic, and Mewtwo if facing the same direction and reversed.

Its pretty pointless, but its nice to know.

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Hey Doc mains, how's it going? The DK boards are redoing our MU thread and the good doctor is one of the chosen few for this week's discussion. We'd appreciate any feedback, insights, and opinions you guys have on the MU.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
New patch coming out today.

It's a long shot but I'm still hoping out for a buff or two.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Yeah, I don't expect any changes to Dr. Mario with the upcoming patch update. I however would like to see at least a small speed buff though.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Yeah, I don't expect any changes to Dr. Mario with the upcoming patch update. I however would like to see at least a small speed buff though.

My only problem is that most of his combos are just strings. Its pretty annoying that up air doesn't really do much.

Top Bottom