• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario Mario's Future Career? - Doc Meta Discussion

How good will Doc be?

• Undisputed Best

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Top Tier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Solid-High Tier

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Lower-High Tier

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Upper-Mid Tier

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Solid-Mid Tier

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Lower-Mid Tier

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Low Tier

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Bottom Tier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ???

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Why Are You Asking The Game Isn't Out Yet

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
With Little Mac being able to act after side b, doc probably has the undisputed worst recovery. I'd say that's the main thing needed to be changed - it'd just be too polarising.

I'd also Luigify him a bit - make capsules even slower but do a lot more, make sheet have a bigger hitbox and do more damage, ect.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Considering the amount of buffs the lower half of the cast are receiving...
I believe there's a strong chance he'll resonate in at least solid mid-tier...

We know of his new Falcon style Dair and a higher Full Hop, hinting at a more agile and hard hitting fighter now, while trying to highlight his own identity. So I doubt these are the only improvements...

My only question is how far will they go with this concept...
Will his attacks be more focus on hitting hard over Mario's and by how much?

D

Deleted member

Considering the amount of buffs the lower half of the cast are receiving...
I believe there's a strong chance he'll resonate in at least solid mid-tier...

We know of his new Falcon style Dair and a higher Full Hop, hinting at a more agile and hard hitting fighter now, while trying to highlight his own identity. So I doubt these are the only improvements...

My only question is how far will they go with this concept...
Will his attacks be more focus on hitting hard over Mario's and by how much?
I think Solid Mid tier is fair. I think that there won't be undisputed worst characters in this game and that the worst characters in the game will still be pretty ok. Now as far a Doc goes, slow heavy hitters are getting a buff because of the games overall speed. Doc no doubt benefits from this and if he gets anymore updated moves it can only mean better for him. I play Doc a bit and I'm excited for him. This looks like it might be his best iteration.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think Solid Mid tier is fair. I think that there won't be undisputed worst characters in this game and that the worst characters in the game will still be pretty ok. Now as far a Doc goes, slow heavy hitters are getting a buff because of the games overall speed. Doc no doubt benefits from this and if he gets anymore updated moves it can only mean better for him. I play Doc a bit and I'm excited for him. This looks like it might be his best iteration.
The unfortunate truth. I feel like Bowser is one of the only characters that doesn't benefit from the added speed.
Care to explain this statement then? Granted, Bowser hardly moves slow these days, but the jumpsquat was still severely holding him back.

D

Deleted member

Care to explain this statement then? Granted, Bowser hardly moves slow these days, but the jumpsquat was still severely holding him back.
Because grabs won't be as good in Ultimate and Smash 4 Bowser is essentially ALL grabs.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Because grabs won't be as good in Ultimate and Smash 4 Bowser is essentially ALL grabs.
You don't use his utilt much, do you? Not to mention short hop fairs (and bairs against tall characters), and running jabs... really you can do a lot with Bowser's runspeed now that anything can be done out of it, along with his aerials being much less laggy on landing. It almost makes his slow walk a non-factor. And if we're going to use Smash 4 examples to picture how they'll do in Ultimate, I'd say it's DOC who doesn't benefit nearly as much as you'd think, because his movement is still not good at all and he's more likely to approach with aerials that didn't have much lag to begin with. Doc is weird because for a supposed heavy hitter, his frame data is top notch; after all, it's Mario's frame data. But it's really his movement alone that severely holds him back, and that needs to be directly addressed for him to get any better. Running combo-starting tilts are nice, but it doesn't mean much if he still can't get in range to use them.

Even if we go with the assumption that Bowser's "all grabs", his is still one of the strongest in the game, especially when you consider the nerfs almost everyone else got to theirs. His dthrow is on par with K. Rool's uthrow in terms of damage and he can still kill with both his fthrow and bthrow.

Last edited:

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
Both Bowser and Doc seem like they'll play completely different from 4 anyways. I'd say it's too early to say anything major.

godogod

Smash Ace
A good amount of the big smash 4 competitive's initial impressions give him a meh rating, but honestly they've never really played him to begin with.. I think he could be a potential sleeper, if the list of changes from smash wiki are true.. He should be at least mid tier.. but could go mid high. His nerfs include lower combo potential from down tilt, he's more vulnerable when dashing, and no collateral from back throw..

But his buffs, besides univeral jump squat from smash 4 include:

-aerials having less landing lag
-higher jump

-jab doing more damage
-tilt attacks doing more damage
-smash attacks doing more damage
-all aerials doing more damage
- new down aerial that can meteor
-all throws do more damage
-all specials do more damage. Megavitamins being larger, dr tornado 4-->7 hits

I'm assuming he still got the nerfed dash speed as smash 4.. But essentially he trades ground speed and recovery for more damage all around. Combo potential is unknown.. but slower mario with more powerful attacks, with frame data of moves are nearly identical. It's something he should have had in smash 4 to begin with...

I'm still really butt hurt they nerfed his ground speed for smash 4 though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom