• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Good stuff. Especially vs Ally (the famed Mega Man killer). You were getting hungry for the kill in the last game. I think playing safer and baiting out responses might have been more beneficial.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
YEG open is over, here are the Doubles matches me and NinjaLink had during the event.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Hey guys, this match was really hype and I just wanted to share it with yall! (The video is set to the exact time about the match starts, so don't worry about having to find it)

Smasher1001 VS Ally Winners semis

https://www.twitch.tv/gooshigaming/v/90825706?t=02h15m06s

Thoughts?
I think you played solid, my only gripe would be that you never used leaf shield. Usually when % are high I try to bring up leaf shield for easy throw options. But it is ally so you can't play to risky.. Great play though, props

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

Something I came up with recently. Crash bomb + Bair + metal blade combination should catch any escape option.

The best thing to do is land with an aerial (unless you have bad landing lag...) but then crash bomb locks you in shield for another follow up (possibly shield brake setup?)

Last edited:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827

Something I came up with recently. Crash bomb + Bair + metal blade combination should catch any escape option.

The best thing to do is land with an aerial (unless you have bad landing lag...) but then crash bomb locks you in shield for another follow up (possibly shield brake setup?)
To see that in a Match would be OD AF

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
He guys just looking for some feed back here on what I could be doing right

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917

While I like the setup in itself, alcon had way more than enough time to DJ Airdodge. If they panic & Airdodge, the landing lag will make this a true combo. If not, it still creates a good amount of pressure. I really like it. Maybe trying to synchronize Crash Bomb's timer with our throws could be another way path we could explore.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
While I like the setup in itself, alcon had way more than enough time to DJ Airdodge. If they panic & Airdodge, the landing lag will make this a true combo. If not, it still creates a good amount of pressure. I really like it. Maybe trying to synchronize Crash Bomb's timer with our throws could be another way we could go.
DJ airdodge is covered by a run up Bair. We have more than enough time to get there and punish the airdodge.

Using crash bomb to extend throw combos is what I'm working on right now :D. This is a projectile with a lot of potential that I don't see utilized.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
So I won 1st at a local, again! Got to play on stream a lot more than usual, so I got a buttload of footage this time around, and I'm once again looking for advice on what I could get even better. Some of these matches had me using games with :4corrinf: instead of MM, but feel free to skip those.

vs Sirius :4ludwig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owkjqfl4bmo
vs Mexicutioner :4falcon: https://youtu.be/A0iDbRguFqw?t=127
vs Chubbs :4dk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86SOU3Lnk8g
vs Kami :4mewtwo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpS17-p5pnY
vs Skylar :4gaw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sia45wSxzk

vs Coco :4mario:, played 3 times in the tourney
Set 1 pools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczcvC_lmv8
Set 2 Winners Finals: https://youtu.be/cq2Z4Rh287U?t=494
Set 3 Grand Finals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiXuCL4VvMQ

I felt I should have played the Falcon, Mario, and DK matches more optimally, tried styling on the DK to get the footstool combo for a little while and failed, and getting up tilted so many times lets me know how much I really gotta tone down with the Falling Up Airs. With Falcon, I made terrible landing choices (have a bad habit of trying to land and poke with Bair, Idk why) and whiffed a number of grabs, and I made some panicky rolls in the Mario Matches and got punished.

Quite a lot of people still doubt my status as my region's best Mega Man (even though the main person I have to compete with has been inactive for months tourney-wise) but with your support, I could prove em all wrong and maybe even climb my way up to PR status eventually. Any and all constructive criticism is more than welcome, could really use it guys!

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
He guys just looking for some feed back here on what I could be doing right
Alright, so first things first : Bowser has got Tough Guy, so until he reaches 180%, Lemons won't do much unless you use them close to him. If you don't want to go in, Leaf Shield and Metal Blade are your best buds. Crash bomb is near-useless because of Tough Guy.

Now, what I saw that I didn't ike was the abuse of Leaf Shield. I just don't get wht he never punished you during the early frames of the move... Maybe he wasn't sure that he could hit you. Don't count too much on it next time. You didn't make much use of your grab game either, which is pretty sad. Leaf Shield can staru stunning Bowser once he takes 20%, so make sure to use this information properly. The last thing I'll say is that when your opponent is in the air, if you are far enough and want to go for a Charge Shot, don't be afraid to charge it. Most people should try to avoid it, either by landing on a platform or retreating to the ledge, but on a flat area, it will allow you to keep Stage Control, which is ever a bad thing as far as I know.

What I saw that was done well through was your usage of Metal Blade, Air Shooter, Leaf Shield toss & Spark Shot. You didn't overuse them to the point where you would become predictable, but you were able to deal a great amount of pressure. Knowing when and how to use them is key in every match-up, so I'm glad to see them being used properly.

If you ask me, you probably should try to ask for a rematch. I felt like the Bowser was lacking some MU knowledge, so he might not have been able to give it all he had.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
DJ airdodge is covered by a run up Bair. We have more than enough time to get there and punish the airdodge.

Using crash bomb to extend throw combos is what I'm working on right now :D. This is a projectile with a lot of potential that I don't see utilized.
My biggest problem with crash bomber is how in instances like these is how impractical it can be at times to pull all of this off.

You start off with a projectile that already comes out slow (frame 19) with a react able traveling speed once it's launched and takes about 3 seconds for it to explode. When you DO successfully attach it to someone, they can reattach it right back at you even if you grab them. I don't mind taking self inflicted damage, but when it can REATTACH RIGHT BACK AT YOU EVEN IF YOU GRAB THEM, it then becomes a huge deal and to think Masahiro Sakurai did this for the sake of balancing (referring to back at the developer direct right after the first ever Smash 4 trailer). It even becomes worse at higher % since it can stay attached to you longer than it does at low %.

Crash bomber is definitely still a move that has a decent amount of uses that you can take advantage of like pressuring their shield or setting up for rar bair if you grab them and then shield the explosion if you're at 40% or lower. It's just that the flaws of this move kind of prevent you from taking full usage and creativity of it a lot more often than it normally does.

B-throw>crash bomber explosion>bair or uair is mouth watering.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Cras Bomb has a weird timing on when it can start attaching to other characters... But if anyone starts running at you because Crash Bomb connected, they might just run into you if they are fast enough... If not, you can jst keep playing normally or start applying pressure. if they shiel it and their shield gets small enough, you might be able to Shield Poke. If not, they won't shield for a while since an UTilt on a worn-out shield can just break it. I'll try once I'm done with my tests. (School takes a lot of time :p )

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Mythzotick Mythzotick
While I understand the flaws that come along with it, I do think many are a bit overstated.

The move is slow, there's no doubt about that, but it does cover the horizontal really well. It's great for catching someone during a sh or after launching someone with the blaster hit of Nair. Retreating sh crash bomb is good for those who try to approach from the air.

I think the "Attached to opp/attach to you" dynamic is part of what makes it so interesting. Your opponent can try to shield or airdodge to avoid the explosion, or they can try to run in and attach it to you. The underlying power to this is how predictable it makes your opponent. Mega Man's keep away game is already strong so it's hard for them to actually tag you (especially if their mobility is only average or worse) but it makes the opponent tunnel vision their way in because they're put on a timer.

There's also the fact that you can airdodge and fall into the opponent if you have the crash bomb attached to you. The explosion will harm them while you're invincible, then you follow up on the final hit...incredibly risky but it's something

Last edited:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Alright, so first things first : Bowser has got Tough Guy, so until he reaches 180%, Lemons won't do much unless you use them close to him. If you don't want to go in, Leaf Shield and Metal Blade are your best buds. Crash bomb is near-useless because of Tough Guy.

Now, what I saw that I didn't ike was the abuse of Leaf Shield. I just don't get wht he never punished you during the early frames of the move... Maybe he wasn't sure that he could hit you. Don't count too much on it next time. You didn't make much use of your grab game either, which is pretty sad. Leaf Shield can staru stunning Bowser once he takes 20%, so make sure to use this information properly. The last thing I'll say is that when your opponent is in the air, if you are far enough and want to go for a Charge Shot, don't be afraid to charge it. Most people should try to avoid it, either by landing on a platform or retreating to the ledge, but on a flat area, it will allow you to keep Stage Control, which is ever a bad thing as far as I know.

What I saw that was done well through was your usage of Metal Blade, Air Shooter, Leaf Shield toss & Spark Shot. You didn't overuse them to the point where you would become predictable, but you were able to deal a great amount of pressure. Knowing when and how to use them is key in every match-up, so I'm glad to see them being used properly.

If you ask me, you probably should try to ask for a rematch. I felt like the Bowser was lacking some MU knowledge, so he might not have been able to give it all he had.
Thank's yeah in retro spec I should also be throwing him up and using lemons close. I wasn't aware of touch guy or what touch guy was, so I have to go and look into that.

I'll try to keep what you said in mind and go for a more solid over all game play

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
He really could have won that first game, all he needed to do when zero was recovering (the time he held ledge for a long time) was put on leaf shield and walk off stage. That or hold M blade then zdrop into leaf shield

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Was really impressed with Aba's pocket Mega Man despite the outcome. Needs to close the last stock out better, but still good though for a pocket that isn't easy to learn. It would be cool if him and Kameme were to practice together if they haven't already.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I didn't show these earlier (took a while to upload them), but I went to a tourney for my 18th Birthday a couple weeks and I did ok, but I'd love a little critique for my games so I can move on easier now that I'm into adulthood. These aren't all of the games I played on stream, but used only the ones I lost since they're a bit long.

Especially looking help for the G&W player, I can't beat that guy very consistently

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
https://discord.gg/nbUVZWA if you guys want faster feedback on ur critiques, join the megaman discord here. we have almost 1000 members and we're very active discussing megaman meta and helping everyone improve. we got scatt in here too as well as ACO, the japanese vine megaman who does the best footstool to mb combos

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
This site is so dead, but I'll post this here anyways. Had a set vs Elegant recently

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This site is so dead, but I'll post this here anyways. Had a set vs Elegant recently

That was amaing. You had me on the edge of my seat all 3 sets!

1st match was something else. Loved that "Crash Knuckle" spike (though he still recovered, oh well). Love your use of MB to prevent him from grabbing you as you land.

It's painful how he spammed up smash at the end due to how safe it is. :(

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Thanks! I was on the edge of my seat playing those matches. I wanted to beat him at least once :/

Yeah, I was disappointed when he didn't die from that spike heh

I have lots of other smash videos on my channel, if you enjoyed that you should check em out : )

Top Bottom