• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dozi - Mexico's Dragon

In the northern regions of Mexico, legends tell of a man whose Bowser makes his enemies quake in their boots. From Saltillo, Coahuila, Dozi is a competitive player with a twist. Armed with impossible levels of optimization and the sickest hairdo ever rocked in a tournament, he has only two goals in mind: to win hard, and to style harder.

* * *​

Notsuchabadguy: So, why don’t you introduce yourself to the readers?

Dozi: Well, I’m a 23-year-old competitive Smash player from Saltillo, Coahuila, where I’ve been living for the last 14 years. Does that help?

Notsuchabadguy: Very much. You don’t hear much about the competitive scene in Saltillo. How strong is it? Are there regular tournaments, or do you have to travel a lot to compete?

Dozi: We’ve actually managed to improve local events significantly during 2016! Tournaments have great results, good attendance and fair price pools depending on the number of people playing. Earlier this month we actually announced the first local smash league, “Mega Corporación Capsula”, a series of ranked tournaments we're planning on doing every Friday.

Notsuchabadguy: Sounds like you’re pretty involved in this. When did you first start playing Smash?

Dozi: I started at a pretty young age, like everyone else did, I think: 64, classic mode, all items on high. It all changed when I met this one friend of mine; his name is Javier, and he’s the one that taught me about tournament rules - you know, one on one, Final Destination, no items, Fox only, all that good stuff.

Back in the day, we thought we were amazing, like everyone else does when you can beat all of your friends, but things changed when we met Chota and Wonf while traveling to Monterrey. It opened our eyes: there are so many people out there that are so over our level, and since then playing competitive became a part of me, a part of my life. I wanted to play, improve, find new challenges and push myself further. And of course, enjoy the game I loved while I was at it.

From left to right: CS Dozi, CS Kaze, CS Question and CS Wonf
Notsuchabadguy: What do you find the most interesting about going to tournaments?

Dozi: It’s in great part about testing my skills and measuring how good I’ve become, but also about meeting people in the community and making new friends.

I remember my first tournament I was eliminated almost immediately, and it probably would have been really hard to keep going if it weren’t for all of the positive experiences I had with the people I met there.

The Smash community is a wonderful one, and I can see it from the way my friends that play competitive KoF, LoL or SF talk about their communities. I’ve met many amazing people here, and I've found what’s pretty much a second family in my crew, Crossover.

Notsuchabadguy: Speaking of Crossover, why don’t you tell us a bit about them? How did it form? What are your goals?

Dozi: My very own band of crazy *****. It was formed after combining two other crews, “Blaster Crew” from Saltillo and “SMACHOS” from Monterrey. We’ve all been friends since the Brawl days, and we visited each other constantly whenever we traveled from city to city. But when Smash 4 came around, only Chota, Wonf and Pimp were really a part of SMACHOS anymore, so they couldn’t participate in crew battles. We decided to bring the two teams together and recruit some new players while we were at it, and that’s how Crossover came to be.

Our only real goal as a crew is to have a good time. Of course, we’d like to be recognized as a strong group, but I think each of our members has their own little agenda that so happens to serve the group as a whole: Chota is the best Little Mac player in México, and Wonf the third best player in the country overall. I’m working towards the title of best Bowser myself, but… well, we’ll have to see about that one.

The Crossover Crew logo

Notsuchabadguy: Bowser’s a bit of an unusual pick for many players. When did you start using him? And why Bowser of all characters?

Dozi: I used to main King Dedede in Brawl, but when I tried to pick him up in Smash 4 his entire moveset was changed, so I didn’t enjoy it as much as before. I started trying new characters, and I’ve always had a leaning towards the heavy ones. I’m not too fast with my hands, you see? So I have to rely on reading to beat higher level opponents: heavier characters allow me to get more out of my reads and survive combos when I make mistakes.

Bowser has a really long pivot grab, gets two digits worth of percent with each hit he lands and has an immense amount of options to close out stocks, not to mention improved recovery and speed from Brawl. I decided I wanted to pick him up and try to optimize him as much as I could, to really take advantage of the tech he could offer.

I also really liked his black shell skin. He kinda looks like a bad boy rocker with bad-*** hair, which reminds me of myself.

Notsuchabadguy:
What do you feel is your proudest achievement in the competitive scene?

Dozi: That’s a few things I could talk about. Uh, probably winning first place in “VERSUS”, back in 2011; it was my first time winning a tournament, and the feeling of having a crowd cheering and applauding me was amazing.

Also, getting third place in the “Intergamers Mx” tournament back in August, 2015; the president of the organization, Roberto Alba, surprised us by announcing that the top 3 players in his tournament would become part of the team “Chosen Squad”, which I still feel extremely honored for.

Oh, and winning “Legacy Championship” last November, in Torreon. Competition was hard on that one since some of the best players in the region, along with all of Chosen Squad, were participating. This was pre Bowser-buff too, so it’s a big mark of pride for me. I don’t know, I think I have a field bonus in Torreon: I always do really well when I play there.

Notsuchabadguy: What would you recommend to players currently wanting to step into the competitive scene?

Dozi: If you’re gonna do it, do it hard! I know it can be difficult to go full competitive, it’s easy to get sad after you lose a few friendlies and don’t make it far in your first few tournaments, but if what you really want is to be the best, then it’s all about persevering through the rough spots! Look for people that can teach you and for role models that will motivate you to do better. Keep going to tournaments so you can acquire experience. And above all else? Have fun! Remember that you’re playing because you enjoy the game!

Notsuchabadguy: Alright Dozi, we’re almost done here. Is there something else you’d like to tell our readers before we sign off?

Dozi: Yes! Thanks everyone for reading, I deeply appreciate it. If it’s my people, regards to Crossover and Chosen Squad. I love you *****.

(Also, you should all totally read Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Multiverse. They’re OP.)

To follow Dozi in his quest to become the best Bowser in the world, you can check out his Facebook page. You can also follow the exploits of his ragtag group of censored swear words by going to the Crossover Youtube channel and their Facebook page, along with the one for Mega Corporación Capsula.

Last edited:
Eidolon

Comments

Really Awesome. This guy is great. It's always nice to see the smash scene through different lens.

I'm mexican, and watching stuff like this is motivational. Good work Dozi! There are many other competitive players here in Mexico and to receive this type of following should be such an honor for Dozi and its competitive project!

Last edited:
For a scene you don't hear about to often, I didn't really know that much about the apparently really good Mexican smashers. Great article.

For a scene you don't hear about to often, I didn't really know that much about the apparently really good Mexican smashers. Great article.
The Mexican scene unfortunately doesn't have much exposure right now, mostly due to the lack of infrastructure and understanding as to what makes competitive play interesting to watch. Hopefully, with new efforts being made towards getting our players' names out there, that will start changing soon enough.

Also, thank you! I worked really hard on translating for this one ;w;

Last edited:
Top Bottom