• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down Throw to Back Air - Revisited

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Original Source: Back Air from Down Throw

So recently, I've been toying around with this, and I felt like this was guaranteed on more than just :snake:. No one had bothered to look into this further so I figure I might as well. I mean Back Air KILLS people. Another guaranteed kill setup would be amazing in theory.So I did some testing of my own and I felt like I was able to land this on several characters consistently. So with Aerodrome's extensive testing, we were able to confirm that this indeed works on more than just Snake. Below is a table that illustrates this discovery:

Character | Back air hits :mario2: | -
:luigi2: | -
:peach: | -
:bowser2: | Yes :dk2: | Yes :diddy: | -
:yoshi2: | -
:warioc: | -
:link2: | -
:zelda: | ?
:sheik: | ?
:ganondorf: | Yes :toonlink: | -
:samus2: | -
:pit: | -
:popo: | -
:rob: | Yes :kirby2: | ?
:metaknight: | ?
:dedede: | -
:olimar: | ?
:fox: | ?
:falco: | ?
:wolf: | -
:falcon: | -
:pikachu2: | ?
:squirtle: | ?
:ivysaur: | -
:charizard: | Yes :lucario: | -
:jigglypuff: | ?
:marth: | -
:ike: | -
:ness2: | -
:lucas: | -
:gw: | ?
:snake: | Yes :sonic: | -

- means no
Yes means HYES!
? means the character is too light and the frame advantage is 0 anyway.
So basically this works on large framed characters, minus Dedede. But still pretty useful in these MUs. This means we **** :rob: a little harder now since we previously didn't have anything guaranteed on him aside from D-Tilt.

HOW DO I PERFORM THIS AGAIN?

GIMR said:
Frame 1: run forward
frame 6: pivot
frame 7: jump and press your control stick towards snake
Frame 8-11: press a to buffer bair.
It's not overly difficult to perform with practice. I set my R to jump to make this and Up Smash from Down Throw MUCH easier. Jump Canceled mechanics aren't difficult to implement into your game. So give this a shot again. We've been neglecting this for a while and its not even that difficult to perform.You get 3 frames of leeway to work with. We need to use everything we can. Down Throw is too good.

WHAT'S NEXT?

Back Air may also be guaranteed from Down Throw on other characters using platform and edge mechanics. More to come on that at a later date.

Credit goes to Aerodrome for helping me test this.

Credit goes to God-Is-My-Rock for originally discovering this gem.

:dedede:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
For the record, it doesn't have to be frame perfect. There's approximately 3 frames of leeway in most cases. :D

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
oh, something i found this weekend vs mvd's snake (not sure who else it works on but the concept is simple)

there's a certain spacing of d-throw at the edge that allows them to shield at the very edge if u dont grab

if u get that spacing, u can run into them forcing them off

if u kno thats gona happen, right before u touch them with ur body from running u can dash attack, the initial animation of dash attack pushes them off stage into the hitbox

-the more u know!-

Doc King

Smash Lord
I've found on Charizard and Bowser that you can just turn around and Bair so you don't have a chance of tripping. Not too useful but it's just something I wanna mention. I don't know if you can do that on other characters.

Someone should test edges. Maybe even slopes but they aren't very common so I wouldn't overthink on that.

Dedede's d throw for best move in the game.

Top Bottom