• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down throw is the optimal "combo" throw?

NoSharp

Smash Rookie
Lately I've been using down throw as my main "combo" throw and even tho it doesn't have a guaranteed follow up for every situation I feel like you can always follow something out of down throw, sometimes you can sneak a running up air, if they jump out you can catch them with up air making it a juggle situation and if they airdodge or attack you can shield below and use up tilt to get a string started. That's how I've been feeling lately about down throw, it seems to me that you can have a follow up for every situation.

I would like to know what you guys think about this, because d-throw is working really good for me, maybe it's just the people that I practice with? I don't want to go to tournaments and find out it was all a lie and that you can't always follow it lol

ClutchCity

Smash Cadet
NNID
Clutch5000
Yeah. D-throw always at the very least puts the opponent in a bad situation where if you read correctly can lead into either big damage or their stock.

seoh

Smash Cadet
Yeah, its the only throw with real follow ups. depending on character, DI in = uair, no DI = fair -> uair until mid percents (or drag down fair into ftil jab lock combos), DI away or up away = 50/50 rar bair (against a large majority of chars). His other throws do have very good uses because though you can't combo, they give a lot of stage control. Look where your various throws will put them (especially in relation to platforms) and see if you can get a hit, or for an air dodge into a frame trap. One good example is uthrow to tech chase uair on bf/dland/t&c

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Eh, it comes down to preference. Always choosing one option is never the optimal thing to do.

Against fastfallers, fthrow can be used as a tech-chase situation (sometimes leading into a kill with the right read/reaction). It can also put the opponent in a very bad position offstage, especially if you manage to grab them after they've used their double jump. I also enjoy following up with a laser when using fthrow if there's nothing else I can get out of it.

I also tend using uthrow on floatier characters as it forces them to find a way to land. If they don't have a disjoint, then catching their landing with a dash attack, dtilt, nair, or even usmash is actually pretty easy. At many percentages (starting at 0), uthrow can lead into a uair if the opponent does not airdodge. You can also punish them for airdodging with the right reaction. Generally speaking though, I stay on the ground and wait for a landing.

Dthrow is probably the easiest throw to get something out of though. With no DI fair > uair is the best followup at low percentages. And with DI rar bair > dash attack is also great, though it can be airdodged out of. One little piece of advice though, if you happen to get a grab on the Smashville platform, and you're facing the direction that the platform is moving, dthrow > uair is a true combo, even with DI.

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
Yea D throw is staple; condition the opponent to think that I'll always follow with fair, then mix it up with a rar bair, or even d-throw and run and sh, then wait for the airdodge and follow with an uair at high %

seoh

Smash Cadet
they do, but they still get hit by bair/frame trap or dash attack

Last edited:
Top Bottom