• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down Throw into Nair... did you know he could do it?

Corthos Fellrin

Smash Cadet
Hi………. The name is Corthos I’ve been hanging on to this tech for months. I’m here to tell you that you… Yes you can do down throw in to Nair.

Wait don’t go there’s more I promise.

Don’t leave me… I’M LONELY!

The Tech

Ok, jokes aside, you do Down Throw into Nair drag down and it will be a true combo. When you drag them down, you can act a few frames before they can, this can set up into a regrab. You can do this about 2 times on most characters and maybe 3 if they are a heavy/fastfaller. You can also do this with down tilt.

Video of what it looks like: https://youtu.be/nkwNyIn7b9Y?t=344

(You can't do it at high %, but I did because it looked cool :p)

The Issue

This can be inconsistent. Sometimes they can go behind you.

What this can do for him?

Make his punish game a lot better at 0%.

What you all think? Is this good? Or is this wack? I didn’t know if I should post this because I thought it was kinda wack, but I figured it was worth showing it. And yes I did do this online before. Also yes I made the thread name stupid on purpose.

Edit 1:

Here are some examples of it being done online

https://twitter.com/CorthosFellrin/status/1128778323755261952

https://twitter.com/CorthosFellrin/status/1129222238673285120

Last edited:

J.B.

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
1342-4251-4349
It's very inconsistent. I wish it was more like Palu's. Outside of against dumbasses online, I can only get two n-airs out of any situation. Honestly, I usually don't try to get multiple n-airs unless the first one comes out of shield. Out of d-throw, I go for u-smash at lower percents (u-tilt -> n-air on slow heavies), f-air at mid-percents, and single n-airs or u-airs beyond that.

Currently looking into d-throw -> d-air since one of the other guys here is getting a lot of funny stuff out of that.

Corthos Fellrin

Smash Cadet
It's very inconsistent. I wish it was more like Palu's. Outside of against dumbasses online, I can only get two n-airs out of any situation. Honestly, I usually don't try to get multiple n-airs unless the first one comes out of shield. Out of d-throw, I go for u-smash at lower percents (u-tilt -> n-air on slow heavies), f-air at mid-percents, and single n-airs or u-airs beyond that.

Currently looking into d-throw -> d-air since one of the other guys here is getting a lot of funny stuff out of that.
It is a bit inconsistent I know I will still go for it if I want to get closer to the edge and if no lag spikes happen. Otherwise Dthrow into sourspot dair into Nair is your best bet. Or Dthrow into Nair into Fair/NAir can work too.

Also here are some examples of me doing it online:

https://twitter.com/CorthosFellrin/status/1128778323755261952

https://twitter.com/CorthosFellrin/status/1129222238673285120

Vistra31

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vistra9000
3DS FC
4038-6222-6181
Switch FC
SW-2087-0604-7226
Dthrow nair is true but you have to move forward a little before you jump.

NCSU | KAI

Smash Rookie
Yeah I agree with J.B. J.B.

One of the biggest issues with it is consistency, sometimes popping them out behind you on landing. I won't go for dragdown nair > regrab offline. I usually go for dthrow>dair (sour)> nair/fair. If their DI is bad, I'll go for another sour dair after the first, then end with nair.

you can actually do the dragdown with fair also, but again, not consistent -> not really worth when their are better options

J.B.

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
1342-4251-4349
That's been a super awkward thing for me to get used to for some reason. I think if you can actually figure out exactly when they'll pop out behind you with N-air you could use that to your advantage somehow, like how falling F-air goes into D-tilt really easily. The mechanics of it are still confusing the f out of me though. :-/

Firox

Smash Master
I've been practicing his one and I can tell you that it creates one of the sexiest combos in Pit's arsenal. Here's what you do:

Down throw->DI forward and use Dair->Nair (Works from about 15-50ish%)

For percents over about 60, the opponent will start popping up too high out of Dair for Nair to follow up. That's why we then shift into:

Down throw->DI forward Dair-> Up Air (Works up to about 90% depending on weight)

After about 100%, you just start down throwing into up air.

These combos are pretty consistent too on everyone except some of the heavies where the Dair will spike them down instead of popping them up for the Nair/Up air.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize that Kai beat me to the punch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom