• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down-B! UH! What is it good for?

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
What're some good uses for Disable? I've tried using it as a disrespectful horizontal air combo finisher and to punish missed L-Cancels OoS, but what other tricks and techniques have you found with this move?

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
As much as I love this move, the main thing I tend to use it for is just as you said: disrespect. There's usually a better option you could be doing, but the reward for landing one is so great that I like to try and implement it anyway.

It IS pretty useful on spacies via UAir strings into it, though. I seem to get a lot of aerial DownB's on them. Plus, it'll put them at a worse position than a Fair would in that scenario, where you can follow up with a pretty easy gimp afterward.

didds

Smash Lord
Taj in melee used to use it after jab reset type stuff just to tack on that extra percent, but that's the most ive seen

Master Raven

Smash Master
Sometimes just throwing it out as a mixup is good especially if your opponent is aggro

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
Would you recommend wavedashing backwards into it? Or maybe short hop away -> wavebounce disable against taller characters?

Garr

Smash Apprentice
Never really throw this move around in the neutral, but you can combo into it. The angle which it sends while airborne is similar to a Diddy Fair with less knockback, so try to finish your combos with it against characters with not-so-great recoveries.

It's been REALLY helpful in guaranteeing 0-to-death's on spacies. I love it :p

Shadowsoftime99

Smash Rookie
One interesting niche use I've found for Disable is actually as a counter-edgeguard. If you're falling past the edge it's possible to hit them with it, assuming they're trying to edgeguard by standing right at the edge with a charging smash or so.

Once it hits, your momentum is reset and it's easy to land a F-Air on them. Gotten multiple KOs off of it and it even helped me turn around a 3-1 deficit.

Granted, I tend to use Disable pretty often to catch an unsuspecting opponent (because it's the last move anyone but the M2 thinks of) and go into a grab or smash punish.

Shadowsoftime99

Smash Rookie
Looking at the gif, I'm assuming you mean just following up with a D-Smash.

So yeah, that's one of my favorite follow-ups since the hitboxes usually line up nicely for the sweetspot to hit. Really devastating, especially if fresh,

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
Yeah, that, and the fact that you can apparently use it as a wakeup. Could be good to punish missed techs at least.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Disable hit him during the bounce; not sure it would've hit him once he was back on the ground. Lot of characters are too low to the ground during knockdown for Disable or jab to hit them.

I thought I posted about this before, but I guess not. It's not just a disrespect option, it's his best horizontal finisher in the air if you're in a position to land it. Great angle, solid knockback. People need to practice comboing into it more, it's really underused.

Last edited:

PD | Lewd

Smash Apprentice
If you're in a bind and manage to get
get an on ground disable and their aabove 110 then some disrespect is to throw out a full shadow ball. Usually kills, always have a full one handy.

Last edited:

PD | Lewd

Smash Apprentice
Also just figured out how to do Emukillers ledge teleport cancel thing so if anyone wants a video lemme know.

Shadowsoftime99

Smash Rookie
| Lewd, post: 18616503, member: 292148"]If you're in a bind and manage to get
get an on ground disable and their aabove 110 then some disrespect is to throw out a full shadow ball. Usually kills, always have a full one handy.
To extend on this, Disable is a great combo-starter if it hits. I like to F-Smash, D-Smash, Grab, etc. after hitting it.

AndyT0073

Smash Cadet
Imo the aerial disable should have more kb to serve as a more optimal kill move. I just don't like the fact that its harder to land than falcon's knee and does less damage and kb

HyperSilver

Smash Cadet
I use it alot for reading people tech rolls, now that his disable had a slight buff in terms of distance, it feels pretty comfortable when using it.

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
The horizontal range is actually the same as 3.5 as the X offset is pushed back. Only the vertical range is larger to hit the short characters' standing animations.

Top Bottom