• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down B Mash Tips?

Ice_21

Smash Rookie
NNID
iceegg12345
Despite using Luigi for a few months now, I've yet to find a way to consistently get a good mash with down b. I normally go even or get a little height at best. Is there a way I should hold the controller to do this or a technique to doing it better?

Last edited:

Xephilon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2294-3812-5736
If get a little height without any jump momentum, you're doing perfectly fine. Better than most Luigi mains in fact.

The way I do it is that I clench my arm muscles and that'll make my arm shake which I then use to mash. It hurts a little bit at first but you'll get used to it. The other way I've seen is by changing the taunt buttons to Special and then spamming both up and down on the D-pad as fast as possible. Check which one works best for you.

HA_Clino

Smash Rookie
NNID
Clino12
There's this one Smasher, Mr Concon, who is able to press the button around 16.52 per second. The trick is to have strong BICEPS as opposed to thumb muscles. Check out this video with video proof and an explanation. This should give you motivation to work out.

If all else fails, then use your double jump and mash down B before the apex of the jump. This is what I need to do.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
You don't even need strong biceps. I don't work out at all but I can get a good mash of about 13.2 IPS (inputs per second).

Not Con Con status, definitely... but all you nneed is practice. Playing Mario Party DS legit helps, no lie. That and this website.

That's my secret lol. https://clickspeedtest.appspot.com/

Remember, mashing ability is what sets one weegee apart from another. :p

v3ga

Smash Cadet
There's this one Smasher, Mr Concon, who is able to press the button around 16.52 per second. The trick is to have strong BICEPS as opposed to thumb muscles. Check out this video with video proof and an explanation. This should give you motivation to work out.
Wrong. It's actually your triceps, for clarification.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't mash by just pressing B with my thumb over and over. I actually learned how to mash accidentally because of how much fun I have rapidly choosing a character on the CSS while waiting for the stream to be ready with our names and whatnot. I put the middle joint of my thumb on the B button and I slide it back and forth from B to A. I don't know if this is easier for most people, but for me it's easier for me to slide my finger back forth than it is for my to lift my thumb up and press down over and over. The only risk here is just making sure you don't get ahead of yourself and press A first back accident, because if you do then you'll input a dair then you'll buffer the cyclone and you'll just fall to your death.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Try it with Luigi when you're falling. You'll know if you did it right if Luigi's fall with his cyclone slows then starts rising. I think if you're fast enough you can have Luigi just go straight up, but if you're trying to go for a gimp, it would be beneficial to have him fall just a little bit.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Something to keep in mind for the eventual future is to know your opponent's options on their way up. If they are able to hit you with an aerial and still recover, he may end up hitting you and since you were mashing, you'll now just buffer a second cyclone which has no rise on it as you fall to your death.

Top Bottom