• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles with toon link. Who to tag up with?

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
Well first of all I want to say that what matters most is of course how synched you and your teammate are.

But I would like for people to share their experience with which character they have teamed with and why it was good or bad.

Best teammate experience Ive had is with :4ness: due to many reasons.

Pros:

- I feel that we can easily save his gimpable recovery due to him being able to stay long offstage and for us to throw a bomb at him.

- He can easily combo off our bombs or boomerangs into uair which is crazy strong. In general its very easy to combo people with ness, especially from pkt,pkfire, fair and throws.

- We can easily heal him with bombs.

- Both are small targets so its easier to avoid each others projectiles.

- He has incredible grab game which is a huge pro for toon link who makes people stay in shield all day long.

Cons:

- Both are kind of slowish in the air and floaty. So vs 2 very fast characters can be difficult if they get momentum.

- Not THAT much range on close range attacks.

Ive also had experience with :4lucario:, :4myfriends: and they work alright. Nothing special that makes it very good as far as I know. But Ikes upair and bair is very nice. Lucarios counter can be abused also. Someone with good grab game seems like a good pick general.

Last edited:

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
:4gaw: is a good partner due to bucket filling with bombs. :4ness:, as you said, and :4lucas: also work well. I haven't tested this, but the same might apply to a custom :4miigun:. I could see :4villager: working with some Bomb Pocketing shenanigans. No one else appears to be really spectacular. Characters with Counter could also maybe work as you can trigger it from a long distance. I've never been able to do doubles so this is all theoretical though.

Hydrobyte

~ If It Is To Be, It Is Up To Me ~
NNID
Hydrabyte
Personally, my brother and I, MZ | Hydrobte (me) and MZ | Protege, use Toon Link and Luigi for doubles. They work very well together as Toon is great at racking up percent very quickly and maneuvering around the opposition easily, while Luigi covers Toon's weaknesses in his landing options. Luigi balances it all out because he is great at controlling the pace of the game while Toon forces the opponents to a set distance by his various projectiles. This is our usual backup team, our main being Yoshi and Luigi, and we're the best doubles team in our region. Hopefully this helps.

Breezyspeed

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5300-8379-8151
I would say either :4metaknight: or :4sonic: since they can effectively rack up damage at a quick pace while toon link can support them with his projectiles.

If you don't like either of those two you can choose between :4greninja::4falcon::4fox:or :4zss:
You can even do another zoning character such as:4samus::4link: or :4tlink:

ItsSonic

Smash Rookie
Characters you can body guard and rely on to do damage imo. Since doubles their team isnt required to approach you they can 2v1 your teammate. If you can stay beside them and land a combo whenever they get hit this makes it hard to take advantage of not having to approach TL. :4bayonetta2::4ryu::4littlemac::4cloud: :4ganondorf::4corrinf:or other projectile characters like :4villager::4rob::4megaman::4samus: can work because they no longer have an easy target to 2v1.

Geicosuave

Smash Rookie
How would :4dedede: work with TL? My friend mains Dedede and I'm wondering if that would work well in doubles.

ElNachoCheese

Smash Rookie
NNID
ElNacho
Glad to see this thread, was wondering about good teams in general. Going to do my first major doubles tournament in march so my buddy and I have plenty of time to pick mains. If he picks a damage heavy main I'll normally pick Luigi and it works out pretty well. Vice versa if I pick damage heavy tank he'll go with meta knight normally and that works well too.

theyellowgreninja

Smash Rookie
I would like to preface my response by saying I've never been in doubles outside of for glory with my brother, ever.

I tend to think that characters who have strengths where your character has weaknesses, which makes sense, right? So, with that in mind, a Melee-heavy heavyweight would be ideal (That would be Bowser, DK, or Ike). However, I feel like anyone who can act on Tink's shield pressure would work well in a team with him. Like Ness, but also Bowser, because Bowser has some dope grab game + Bowser Bomb in certain situations.
Basically, Bowser seems like a decent option.

Top Bottom