• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Vision: an Ice Climbers video guide to desynching

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I recently got a TV capture card for my computer and celebrated by spending a few days making an IC training video. The result is Double Vision, a little visual guide to Ice Climber desynching. It runs about five minutes long and shows all the major forms of desynching, including rolls/dodges, dash dances, pivots, fast falls, landing ice blocks, and edge recoveries, as well as some simple applications of desynch techniques to pull off stunts like Nanapults. I intended to make a visual accompaniment to Exarch's excellent Guide to Desynching, so I focused on making examples of the thirteen desynchs Exarch describes in his thread, also keeping his terminology to make things easier to follow.

I highly recommend reading the Guide to Desynching before watching this video, particularly if you're unfamiliar with IC desynching.

I tried to put in overlaid instructions on performing a lot of the desynchs, but most are just too complicated, so I had to settle on only explaining the simple stuff. For the rest, please see Exarch's post.

Anyways, here are the videos, available on FilePlanet:

Double Vision (small) (320x240, 18mb)
Double Vision (large) (640x480, 35mb)

You can use the following links if you don't want to sign up for a (free!) FilePlanet account. The downloads won't be as fast as FilePlanet, though. If you have a choice, please use the FilePlanet links -- these alternate links are hosted by my university, which is liable to yell at me if I use too much of their bandwidth.

Double Vision (small)
Double Vision (large)

Quick disclaimer: there's no chain throwing in this video; I'm saving those techniques for a separate video. Also, I realize the few "combos" in this video could be DI'd out of, rolled through, blocked, etc etc etc. The intent was to show possible uses of these techniques, not to give positive examples of them being used in a real match. Desynching is a neat trick, but it alone will not win most of your battles. It's up to you to find creative, effective ways to mix these tricks into your Ice Climber game.

That said... please let me know what you think! :)

(Note to moderators: this is a cross-post from the IC forum. I couldn't find any forum rules saying I shouldn't do this, so if I'm being bad, please add a note to the Video Discussion rules page forbidding this type of post.)

VilNess

Smash Champion
AWESOME DUDE!

I can´t believe how clear and detailed this was! no stupid hassle and clear instuctions with good font and nice music.
Anyone who ever does vid. guides should watch this for inspiration! yeah.

Babe Ruth, ROFLed that :D

yes, this guide is banned. ;)

thanks dude!

Gea

Smash Master
That was glorious. I fully expect you to make more. o.o Sign my chest?

But really, it gave a much needed visual. Keep it up. :o

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
that was serously awesome stuff ive never seen or new before the two best parts were the ice block chase and the double edgeguard thing where one edgehogged and the other dsmashed lol thats insane

nin10do

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Like VilNess said, good music and design. This might help some people who were confused with exarch's guide.

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
Hey, I d/led the vid, and now it's on the hub. So if you can, download it there to save his university's bandwidth.

Edgehog-guard owns.

I gotta get better at desynching. Very nice vid, and helpful.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks for the kind replies.

Regarding the edge hogguard... it's flashy, but I don't think it's that useful. In the video, Pikachu would have died simply from the ege hog; the downsmash was completely unnecessary. And most times you try the hogguard, the result is the same: it's either the hog or the guard that kills the opponent, not the combination. When it does work, though, it's usually by forcing your opponent to aim for the level rather than the edge because of the hog, which gets them smashed by Nana. The difficulty in this is that Nana releases her smash as soon as Popo grabs the edge, so the timing is hard.

cF=)

Smash Lord
This is a totally brillant guide for people who want to see what look like desynched IC in game.. and the nanapult was --> :D

Great work !!

Pichu Paizano

Smash Journeyman
Nanapault, yeah. Never heard it called that, but nevertheless, awesome technique. This vid was utterly helpful, and I agree, should be looked upon by anyone looking to make a vid guide. If I weren't at school I'd hop on my cube right now, but I guess that'll just wait till later. Thanks again. ICs 4 L, son!

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
That was definitely pretty sweet to watch. very good guide. keep up the good work, that makes me want to play as the ICs.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
*Jumps out of his chair, turns on the gamecube, and begins to plays for hours with the IC*

I loved it so. Im so going to play with them. I see the possibilities of using 2 characters with 1 mind, sounds like a fun challenge.

Thomaz

Smash Lord
That was an awesome vid, seriously. Too bad I know most things already for playing the IC's. <_<

And that Babe Ruth was awesome, lol. Gotta try that out. :p

Good ****. Keep it up. ^__^

Shwn

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen it YET but Thank You! Its nice to see someone sharing how all that can be done with IC. And it seems from everyones posts that it rocks. So nice work.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
VERY well made, this is awesome!

I'm not a fan of the IC's but this video was fantastic, and it did make me want to try it out...

But I'll stick to my low tiers Bowser and Kirby for now ;)

Hozart

Smash Journeyman
I thought everyone was being sarcastic/exaggerated about how good the video was, but it seems that I was mistaken. Well done. Hope to see the Ice Climber's infinite eventually.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Wow I was actually floored by how well this video was made; very clean, simple, straight forward, and extremely easy to follow. This one is definitely gonna be a staple in the DC++ Hub (I'm Nintendoking I can make that kinda promise about the hub!) I can't express how well this Tutorial Vid was produced. Kinda makes me want to add IC's to part of my character lineup...

:bluejump:

P.S: ROFL THE BABE RUTH, hahahahahahaha..... oh man that made me bust up.

Pichu Paizano

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I'm gonna go out on a whim here and actually critize. I hope I don't get mugged, LoL...

As I said b/f, I loved the vid; top tier stuff. But there was one thing that bothered me. I realize that this was meant to be an instrucitional video only and all, but I thought that you didn't actually show the uses of each technique a lot, "application"-wise I guess. I know you did for one or two things, namely the basic dodge desynch, but for the more adv ones, mainly the sh desynch and "nanapault" (IDK why, but I just hate calling it that). They're such awesome moves. Especially the nanapault; it's just hardcore top tier. You should have included a few clips of examples of how to actually follow those up. I know some people will probably get some of it down, and then turn around and not actually be able to put it to good use. True, I know that people should learn things and come up with stuff on their own, but it never hurts to give more examples. Again, I realize this was only meant to be an introductory, but I just felt it laced a bit in this area...

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Pichu Paizano said:
Ok, I'm gonna go out on a whim here and actually critize. I hope I don't get mugged, LoL...

As I said b/f, I loved the vid; top tier stuff. But there was one thing that bothered me. I realize that this was meant to be an instrucitional video only and all, but I thought that you didn't actually show the uses of each technique a lot, "application"-wise I guess. I know you did for one or two things, namely the basic dodge desynch, but for the more adv ones, mainly the sh desynch and "nanapault" (IDK why, but I just hate calling it that). They're such awesome moves. Especially the nanapault; it's just hardcore top tier. You should have included a few clips of examples of how to actually follow those up. I know some people will probably get some of it down, and then turn around and not actually be able to put it to good use. True, I know that people should learn things and come up with stuff on their own, but it never hurts to give more examples. Again, I realize this was only meant to be an introductory, but I just felt it laced a bit in this area...
-_-" ........if this guy shows you how to play his style no one will be able to grow on their own accord and develop their OWN style. I admit if your super nooby and want to learn how to use these desynching moves in practical applications, the vid could be expanded on. but then again if your THAT super nooby you probably don't even know how to WD or L-Cancel so there would be no point in trying to learn the practical applications as of yet. And i strongly believe that if you can pull these deysnching moves off comfortably like Waveshines come to Zelgadis,, you should have no problem encorporating them into your game. But that's just my opinion.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's a fair criticism, NK, but thank you for the support :). I didn't include what Pichu's looking for because I felt it would be outside the scope of the video. I'm recording all my IC matches now, though, and plan to eventually piece together a Shined Blind-style combo video where the "combos" are all desynchs. Dunno how long that'll take though; good clips don't come too often.

KiLlAmArTh72

Smash Apprentice
ya the freez.if u know how to do that can u do mewtwo soul stunner if u do can u make a vid

DaPerson

Smash Apprentice
Although it has been repeated to death i feel the needs to say it again... Awesome vid! Not only did it have crystal clear instructions and was enjoyable to watch, but it made me want to pick up my controller and play ICs right now :).

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
This video is awesome. I really cannot stress how good of a job you have done on this video, seriously, IMO one of the best instructional videos, everyone should learn from this (along with Tipman's). I only knew like 30% of the desynchs on that video, now I really have an urge to go and try some of those out.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
dude this video as well as your chain grab video owns face. the resolution was great and in the chain grabbing vid the stalling in the credits made me laugh like crazy. i used to play ICs casually but i was never good with them untill i saw the vids you made. my ICs are still lame but who can say desync ice blocks arent AWSOME!!!!!>!?!?!?!?! :laugh: great vids man.

Top Bottom