• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Vision: an Ice Climbers video guide to desynching

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I recently got a TV capture card for my computer and celebrated by spending a few days making an IC training video. The result is Double Vision, a little visual guide to Ice Climber desynching. It runs about five minutes long and shows all the major forms of desynching, including rolls/dodges, dash dances, pivots, fast falls, landing ice blocks, and edge recoveries, as well as some simple applications of desynch techniques to pull off stunts like Nanapults. I intended to make a visual accompaniment to Exarch's excellent Guide to Desynching, so I focused on making examples of the thirteen desynchs Exarch describes in his thread, also keeping his terminology to make things easier to follow.

I highly recommend reading the Guide to Desynching before watching this video, particularly if you're unfamiliar with IC desynching.

I tried to put in overlaid instructions on performing a lot of the desynchs, but most are just too complicated, so I had to settle on only explaining the simple stuff. For the rest, please see Exarch's post.

Anyways, here are the videos, available on FilePlanet:

Double Vision (small) (320x240, 18mb)
Double Vision (large) (640x480, 35mb)

You can use the following links if you don't want to sign up for a (free!) FilePlanet account. The downloads won't be as fast as FilePlanet, though. You'll want to right-click these links and select Save As...:

Double Vision (small)
Double Vision (large)

Quick disclaimer: there's no chain throwing in this video; I'm saving those techniques for a separate video. Also, I realize the few "combos" in this video could be DI'd out of, rolled through, blocked, etc etc etc. The intent was to show possible uses of these techniques, not to give positive examples of them being used in a real match. Desynching is a neat trick, but it alone will not win most of your battles. It's up to you to find creative, effective ways to mix these tricks into your Ice Climber game.

That said... please let me know what you think! :)

Zoap

Smash Master
that name is really cool, going to watch the vid rite now...still love that name!

EDIT: say i need to have a subscription or somethin to dl :(

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
You don't have FilePlanet accounts? They're completely free. And this way I won't have to re-upload the files every 7 days/25 downloads...

I'll see about uploading the videos to my university web space. It'll be slower than FilePlanet, but you won't need an account.

EDIT: see the original post for alternate links. Please only use these if you don't want to sign up for a FP account. I also took the time to fix the hard-to-read text, so both versions should be fully readable now.

six

Smash Ace
Wow. I had played around with the ice climbers and picked up on the basics to desynching and some of the uses by skimming through that guide, but some of that stuff is really awesome. That blizzard edgeguard, for example, is really tight looking. I didn't realize there was so much neat stuff.

Having nana bounce up and down while popo walked straight forward was pretty funny too. How did you keep them desynched while you did that?

Awesome video, big thumbs up. Hopefully this gets copied (but not completely moved :-( ) to the misc. vids forum as well...maybe make a topic of it there too? If you haven't already, of course.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I did make a topic there :). The desynched bouncing is done by holding up on the stick during a roll or dodge. Nana will keep jumping so long as the stick is held in in up/up-right/up-left position, which lets you move around while she's bouncing. I'm glad you like it, that's my favorite part of the video. Cracks me up every time!

NG7

Smash Lord
Well done man, that was excellent. Waiting for your next one.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Seeing as this is a how-to Vid, I feel this should stay, but also be in the vid room too.

*Copies to Vid disc*

Kio

Smash Apprentice
thanks alot for this guide man, it was really well put together and helped me to see what the climbers can really do.

could you possibly tell me how you got popo to hog the ledge and nana to smash? that was REALLY cool.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kio said:
thanks alot for this guide man, it was really well put together and helped me to see what the climbers can really do.

could you possibly tell me how you got popo to hog the ledge and nana to smash? that was REALLY cool.
Desynch Nana into a charged downsmash by dodging and quickly pressing down+A, holding A down. Then turn away from the edge with Popo and wavedash backwards to hog the ledge. You must keep the A button down this whole time or Nana will release her smash. Also keep in mind that Nana will release as soon as you leave the level to grab the edge. Hope that helps.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Wow.
Thanks.
Quite a few things I need to thank you for. As I'm sure you're aware, I've been wanting to make a video to accompany my guide-so thanks for that-a lot. Also, I was not aware that the tactics I described in that guide were interpretable, most feedback I had gotten was "how do I do the infinite"-its good to see that someone was able to understand what I was talking about when I described the desynchs. So thanks for showing me that I can describe unknown manouvres well enough to be doable. And on top of all of that, thanks for the credit, it means a lot.
I've only watched it once-in between a class or two none the less, so I'll post more specific things later, everything was great though (i'll only post suggestions because i can't really criticize-it really was good.)
I'll stick a link to this in my guide when I get the chance, but I shouldn't even be writing this. So that will come later. I also have a few more desynchs recently discovered that I haven't had time to add.

Oh yeah one thing I do remember- you did the ftilt guard (sweet!) but you didn't desynch from it, (i was a little disappointed...frowny face) if you do that move, then correctly time a move, only one icy will do it. I find this is very useful for approaching unsuspecting people (marths?). WD in backwards, and if you hold the joystick in the direction you're traveling (not where you're facing) and hit A (fast enough) you will do a sliding ftilt guard, then can desynch directly into Nana's blizzard. The knock back is enough to keep them off you while nana starts the blizzard (please let me know if you get this too work- its one of my top most used ways to desynch.) Easier to do than the standing guarded desynch IMO, but they're both comparitively easy to other desynchs. Just a minor complaint (seriously though overall great job.) Probably more later.

Thanks again!
Edit=oh yeah: Props

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thank you for your reply, exarch. I'm really pleased you like the video! When I started the project I didn't have a very good grasp of any desynchs other than the basics... but by the end I had most of them down pretty well, so the video was a major learning experience for me. And yes, all your descriptions were quite clear; I had no trouble following any of your instructions :).

I didn't realize the guard desynch was so complex; I figured it stopped with just the two tilt attacks. Good find there. I'll try out the WD-guard desynch and see what kind of results I get.

I'm working on a followup video for chain throwing as we speak. I'm gonna split it into three main sections, the first on chain foundations (stuff you can do during the grab/throw to add damage and pin the enemy), then showing the big chain throws against madly-DI'ing opponents, and the final section on finishing moves and other grab combos. I'll look for you on AIM and show you what I've got if you're interested.

Kio

Smash Apprentice
SWEET VOL2!!!!!
thanks again for this guide nealdt. I pwned up my buddy today with the climbers, mostly thanks to you and exarch.

kciD

Smash Journeyman
Makes me wanna play the IC's more, but I know I'll only suck with em...cuz I like aerial attacks more...=(

Degreez

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I've recently started iceclimbers just this week (when I bought the GameCube)...

What exactly is the easiest way to desynch your two ic's to do these special attacks.

Please help me! :laugh:

Degreez

Smash Journeyman
This may sound EXTREMELY nooby, but what is the button combination to do that. Please help! :p :laugh:

PS: Just got the game last week (but I'm pretty good considering I can already beat 3 lvl.9 Ganondorf's if that's good) :dizzy:

BentoBox

Smash Master
Try to roll by holding l/r and tilting ur joystick left/right, and while the rolling animation, hold B. Only nana should throw an ice block when u stop rolling.

ChosenOne

Smash Rookie
IceClimba said:
This may sound EXTREMELY nooby, but what is the button combination to do that. Please help! :p :laugh:

PS: Just got the game last week (but I'm pretty good considering I can already beat 3 lvl.9 Ganondorf's if that's good) :dizzy:
Seeing as you are a n00b to the wonderful world of smash, read this thread and your basic knowledge of smash will dramatically increase!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749

Zero34

Smash Lord
well nealdt, just watched it. very nice. im adding IC to my list of regular characters...which has grown quite large over the days

now its: doctor mario, mario, captain falcon, falco, fox, IC, sheik, link, marth, and roy....

yeah, i need to calm down...

but great video. lets see if i can do that. and the IC freeze glitch, lol

PiMacleod

Smash Cadet
great video. I'm no IC player, but my pal just became one recently....as much as it'll pain me to add that to his skills, it must be done. ....besides, I got me some Ness glitch, so he can have his desynch. :)

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
I was just thinking... "My IC game really needs some better flow for desynching"

This was just what the doctor ordered. Excellent choice of music for the video too, Snow Cone Heaven is a fantastic remix of the original theme, and really does the game justice for the nostalgia value. :)

Between this and exarch's guide to how to actually do some of this stuff, this may be the edge I needed to get past my skill wall with the mallet wielding monsters.

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
A well deserved bump. I've already seen this great video on Google Video, and I need to have it saved to my computer.

Nealdt -

FilePlanet is giving me errors (Login rate limit exceeded.) every time I try to login. I've tried your FileFront account...I get around 650 KB before the download just stops. And the links to [csc.calpoly.edu] are broken. If you have time, can you (or someone else who has it) upload the vid (35 MB version) to another host?

Thanks.

ditkp

Smash Rookie
Hey. I'm trying to learn IC but can't get the links to work. When I follow one it tells me that an account is needed, and it costs $$$ The other link to the university site just doesn't come up at all. Any ideas/advice?

Jazzisforsquares

Smash Rookie
Wow, that was incredible. So many techiniques. I'll definatly be using these, I just need to practice them.
I'm not so great with the Ice Climbers probably because I don't do de-synching techniques, so I have a lot of practicing to do.
Thanks for the video, it was awesome.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Nana bunny

At about 02:52 in the movie, in the "silly stuff" part, you make nana jump simultaneously. Is this not a great way to confuse your opponent? Yes, but how the heck do you do it?!? Exarch's thread says nothing about it and neither does yours :dizzy:

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Desynch and hold up on the control stick. Simple as that. I discovered it myself :).
Wo, thats easy stuff then. Cool

Turns out that when doing this, Fair and F-smash can be done at the same time, which is kind of sweet. Maybe you could time it so that the F-smash sends the enemy up into the Fair, because of the lag time before the Fair attack, thus sending the enemy straight down in front of you? Maybe a setup for a chaingrab/cool meteor attack when the enemy tries to recover?

Does anyone follow my thinking?

Ryu777

Smash Ace
maybe, but it really isnt that hard for your opponent to go up and pick her off while she is just jumping around. But if you really wanna try it out I think hitting them with a d-smash and keeping them in place with a dair might be a little bit easier.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
maybe, but it really isnt that hard for your opponent to go up and pick her off while she is just jumping around. But if you really wanna try it out I think hitting them with a d-smash and keeping them in place with a dair might be a little bit easier.
No, i was thinking more like doing this desynch while enemy is of stage, but yours doesn't sound to bad either. I'll try it and rec it if it works

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Yeah!

It worked, and it looked awesome! :grin:

It's freakin' hard though, you have to time it just right. I succeeded two times on bowser and it sends them straight down and makes about 20-25% damage!
You could call it "a meteor attack out of nowhere", 'cus the enemy is ready for a forward smash, but that meteor is coming to fast for them to be able to react and meteorcancel. Im off to train this some more!

Top Bottom