• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double jumping and you

Labernash

Smash Lord
Hmmmm....

So if I unerstand correctly, don't use Double Jump as an apprroach or just to get higher so you can use more empty air moves?

That thing you said about Snake's Dash Attack made it click a bit more. Thanks Chair!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wario's double-jump is better than most characters, so it's more important for us to use it well than most characters.

I'll check this video out after class today.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
This video is just brilliant. It made me realize even more about how mindlessly DJing is not a good option. I had lots of fun watching it, even though I was kinda being made fun of xD
I mean seriously, while watching my match through your video... I've never before thought that I would play so badly. Now I can't watch any of the matches where I play as Wario anymore without facepalming at all those pointless DJs.
It's good though. There is nothing more than improvement left ahead.

I would recommend this to be watched by every Wario main !

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think Wario players tend to do it badly because we have the luxury of being safer than most characters in that situation by being able to airdodge or autocancel a D-Air. It's definitely a bad habit to do without putting thought into it.

It has its uses--After some shorthops, you can bait something like a Diddy F-Air, do a quick double jump, and them punish it. The important thing, though, is that you shouldn't go in without a double jump unless you are quite confident that you're gonna be safe and/or deal serious damage.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
oh right, forgot to mention that

you can autocancel your dair out of a normal full hop, you dont need a DJ, it just requires a bit more effort

Lord Chair

Smash Master
tbh i actually tried to compare those vids to one of yours but i dont understand your DJs in the first place

not that theyre bad

i just cant see a pattern lol

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I can probably explain it better if we use an example video. If you want to collaborate, you're welcome to. Otherwise, I'll just post about it here when I have the time.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
We could all learn a lot from you, Lord Chair. Thanks for this awesome video! My worst habit is instant double jumping lol, I'll definitely have this lesson in mind next time I play smash! :)

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I already knew DJing was bad, but seeing it in use emphasizes how bad it is. I've tried to eliminate my excessive DJing by bike hopping instead, because I generally feel more comfortable approaching from above and getting up high.

But I still make those mistakes a lot, no doubt. Guess I gotta keep working on breaking that habit, I'll admit it's kinda tough.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I already knew DJing was bad, but seeing it in use emphasizes how bad it is. I've tried to eliminate my excessive DJing by bike hopping instead, because I generally feel more comfortable approaching from above and getting up high.
I didn't realize it was possible to be even more careless with your resources.

Why do you want to be up SO high SO badly? Why?

Labernash

Smash Lord

Well, it makes sense if you don't think about. To the untrained eye, being high up is safer. We don't process that, by using the tools to get that high, we get screwed over a few seconds later, not realizing that's what happened. That is, until you shared your knowledge, Mr. Chair!

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
My favorite place to be as Wario: Right about to land on the ground, still in the air. Here you can do cool stuff like aerial to buffered spot dodges/other ground moves, throw out quick Nairs and bites as mixups, land and quickly buffer a turnaround side B to insta-crash the bike, instant throw items, etc.

oh and of course double jump!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
My biggest problem a year ago for me was that I would get grabbed a lot by characters like Peach and even Donkey Kong. When I began to not throw my second jump out immediately and became more patient with it, I wasn't getting grabbed as much.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker

lol. I was debating whether or not to respond.

I remember it being affective against characters with projectiles, and it helps me play campy. I need to rewatch my vids and see how that gets me punished. I also wanted to keep my DJ in case I needed to retreat, but I still need to touch up my playstyle.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Yeah it's really interesting to watch videos of yourself and pay attention to double jumps. Very educational!

Labernash

Smash Lord
I've been pausing the game mid-match and cutting my thighs with a box cutter everytime I DJ stupidly. Happens a lot. :(

I WILL BREAK THIS HABIT!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
A jump to immediate double-jump can give you a specific height that you wouldn't normally be able to get to quickly. This can be thrown in with your general movement sporadically to keep your opponents guessing, but you generally don't want to have to commit by losing your double jump like that. It has its place, but, don't let it be predictable.

That said, even if you use your double-jump like that, you can always just retreat instead if it seems like the opponent is ready for your approach.

Top Bottom