• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do's and Dont's with Mii Gunner. What to do and what not to do.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Hello y'all. Just making an informative post on things you should try to do and things you should really stop doing as Gunner lol

First of all, I see almost all Gunners play. I keep track of all Gunner gameplay and videos. Sometimes it can be cringeworthy with how many of them I watch will do alot of bad things with Gunner and they'll lose because of it. I'll list these things.

What Not To Do:

*Stop spamming Down Smash - I swear, I see so many Gunners do this. I'll even see many do this, even when the opponent isn't even close to kill percent. Why spam this move and get punished? Just please stop.

*Stop being Predictable with GunDashing - This is a big common problem I also see. Smart opponents will adapt fast and learn your patern. Mix it up and use it when you can. Don't keep repetiting the same Dash pattern over and over. Just gets you punished.

*Stop being so predictable with Rolls - Another common Gunner issue I see. Yes, rolling helps with a tight defense and evasive game, but I'll see Gunners spam roll at the most inappropriate times. Learn to roll smartly, if that makes any sense.

*Stop getting reckless with Smash Attacks - Another common thing to see. "Opponnet is at 100%+? Better spam any smash attack recklessly and hope it connects!" No, please dont. Only throw out smashes when you can't get punished for it.

*GunDashing into predictable Smash Attacks - Why is this a thing? I mean, it'll work the first time, but why constantly spam the same strategy? Even when the opponent knows you are gonna down smash or up smash out of GunDash.

*Not using Fair as much - Why!!?? Lol Easily Gunners best move! Use it and spam it! But use it wisely and spam it smartly.

*Using Up Throw constantly as the only throw - Why are over using Gunners kill throw? Just why? Combos stop working after certain percents. Down throw is better to use after that.

*Using Flama Pillar in neutral - This move should only ever be used when you have alot of space or used for ledge shenanigans. Stop using it alot in neutral or when the opponent can easily powershield and punish the lag from it.

*Throwing out Grenade and Bomb Drop in random areas - I get it, grenade and bomb drop are very good and pretty spammy, but please use them to give you safe landing or trap opponents or set up for a kill confirm or combo. Don't just randomly throw it out when the opponent isn't even anywhere around there.

*Don't use gimmicky as heck customs - The only good and competitive one's are Charge Shot, Missile, Grenade, Bomb Drop, Lunar Launch, Flama Pillar and Reflect/Absorb Vortex(These are situational, but good for specific MU's). The rest are either outclassed or just very bad. Only use the bad one's if your playing for fun.

What To Do As Gunner:

*Grab more - Yes people, this option exists for a reason. Gunner actually has a good and fast grab and good throws to keep a camp cycle going. I hate seeing a Gunner roll away or use a laggy move on a close opponent, when they could have easily just grabbed them.

*Job more - Jab is one of our very few (get away from Mii tools). The other being grab. Use it on rushdown opponents, but don't over use it.

*Down Tilt is a good move to use - Down tilt is pretty safe on non-powerShield, less punishable than down smash, and it kills pretty early.

*Learn to play Mind Games with Fair - Fair is easily the best move Gunner has. Tho, opponents will spam power shield against our fair barrage. What can I do to punish them? You can actually approach( don't get too close to them) with short hop fair. Keep doing this, it'll force them to block. And when you see a block comming, go grab them. Mixing short hops with fairs and grabs makes it very hard for the opponent to do something. They'll think twice before dropping shield or shielding.

*Hold Charge Shot - Just hold it. You will add alot of stress and anxiety to your opponents this way. People are naturally scared of charge and hold projectiles. They don't know when it'll come out. Only use it when you see an obvious opening.

*Nair is a good anti air - This move is pretty good, but I don't see many Gunner mains use it to it's fullest potential.

*Save Up Throw for kills only - When Gunner has between 100%-149%. His Up throw will kill all lightweights and middleweights between 143%-155%(varies with characters). Heavyweights and superweights, it'll kill between 160%-175%(varies). When Gunner has max Rage(150%+). His Up Throw will kill alot earlier! Rage Up Throw kills Mario around 155%. Max Rage Up Throw kills Mario around 144%. A pretty big difference. Back Throw can also kill pretty early, but only near the ledge.

*Learn to read airdodge patterns - Gunner is very patient and campy fighter. Ex) Down throw and see if they don't airdodge or do airdodge. You can read their habit and punish badly with up air. A smart opponent will mix it up, which is why your reading game should be on point.

*Be tricky with your GunDash slides - Always keep your opponent on his/her toes by using a variety types of slides, whether it's a long slide, short slide, slide into attacks or grabs, etc. Mix it up and don't get repetitive with a pattern.

*Don't get reckless for kills, be patient - Gunner can kill early(early 100's) on many characters with all smash attacks, up air, down tilt, up tilt, and back air(near the ledge). Tho, it's tricky to land them at times. Be patient and learn to find the proper time to execute them. Don't stress if you build your oppoennts damage high, you can just grab and up throw them or even kill them with bomb drop or grenades.

I think I'm forgetting some, but I'll add them later. I know I'm not perfect, since I did the terrible Gunner stuff before when I first started lol Just wanna shed some more Gunner light, since I do see alot of Gunner mains repeat and do the things I listed as "don't do" constantly.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
*Don't use gimmicky as heck customs - The only good and competitive one's are Charge Shot, Missile, Grenade, Bomb Drop, Lunar Launch, Flama Pillar and Reflect/Absorb Vortex(These are situational, but good for specific MU's). The rest are either outclassed or just very bad. Only use the bad one's if your playing for fun.
No CU, eh? I personally find a good trade. I would say it comes down to preference. Do you want better survivability or better punish game?

*Throwing out Grenade and Bomb Drop in random areas - I get it, grenade and bomb drop are very good and pretty spammy, but please use them to give you safe landing or trap opponents or set up for a kill confirm or combo. Don't just randomly throw it out when the opponent isn't even anywhere around there.
People often "spam" them not 'cause the fun of spamming them, but 'cause they try to limit their foe's options (for example using Grenades to grounded approach more appealing option for the foe) and creating mental pressure. Some other characters do this too like Tink and Swordspider.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
No CU, eh? I personally find a good trade. I would say it comes down to preference. Do you want better survivability or better punish game?

People often "spam" them not 'cause the fun of spamming them, but 'cause they try to limit their foe's options (for example using Grenades to grounded approach more appealing option for the foe) and creating mental pressure. Some other characters do this too like Tink and Swordspider.
I'm assuming CU is that UpperCut Up B custom? If so, the trade off is not close to worth it. I've tinkered alot with it and love it! I've even found out that you can footstool people out of shield into UC puncg for a early kill. Feels so great to land, but it still isn't worth it. The recovery from Lunar Launch is vital and helps Gunner live for a very long time. UpperCut gets you gimped like crazy. Heck, I got annoyed when good Sheiks would just fair me at low percent offstage and that meant death. Dying at 40%, all cause Uppercut has very bad recovery. The trade off just isn't worth it at all, simce I still have better and more reliable ways to kill, while still having Lunar Launch as my UP B. Id say UpperCut would be better on tiny Mii, since Tiny has the air mobility to make it back easily and not get gimped as badly. Tiny is banned in all places sadly. Guest size just isn't suitable for that move.

I meant spam, as in throwing it out when thw opponent is above or not even within tje projectiles range. Like throwing them out randomly and getting punished for it.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
I am aware of Sheik and couple other characters being able to kill us very early if wii happen to have CU. People who use CU are aware of this. There is a reason why people have secondaries to cover things like these. It does make us less viable in solo use, but it does give us more counterpick use.
The case is very similar to that of a "Hero Spin or SSD" with Swordspider. Other move sacrifices recovery for better killing. In Gunner's case the options are more extreme.

Yeah I understood what you meant with spamming. I just wanted to put it out there for people who have hard time understanding the difference between spamming and intelligent "spamming" (everything which Gunner does in considered spamming by average joe).

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
What's your opinion on defaulting to Absorbing Vortex for more versatile recovery? (Disclaimer: I don't play competitive, but I think it has merit.)

Vortex can get you extra height on your air-jumps and wall-jumps as well as turning you around so you can always F-air boost back, on top of letting you stall in the air a little longer if needed. It's pretty advanced and semi situational, but I really like using those tools over regular old Bomb Drop.

(I also actually default to Cannon Upper, so I think that has a lot to do with it - it can help with my usually awful recovery. I do sometimes use Lunar Launch, but I usually prefer Cannon Upper because I love a strong punish game and the fact you can instantly and generally safely cover the ledge with a runoff turnaround CU.)

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
I am aware of Sheik and couple other characters being able to kill us very early if wii happen to have CU. People who use CU are aware of this. There is a reason why people have secondaries to cover things like these. It does make us less viable in solo use, but it does give us more counterpick use.
The case is very similar to that of a "Hero Spin or SSD" with Swordspider. Other move sacrifices recovery for better killing. In Gunner's case the options are more extreme.

Yeah I understood what you meant with spamming. I just wanted to put it out there for people who have hard time understanding the difference between spamming and intelligent "spamming" (everything which Gunner does in considered spamming by average joe).
Thing is, Custom Gunner can be Solo mained, since he only has 8 bad MU's(which are still doable). Uppercut just is asking to get gimped and makes winnable MUs become too stressful to win. Gunner goes even with Sheik, since Bomb drop eats through all of her moves. LL provides a big recovery, so you aren't gimped as easily. Like, there is no reason for me to ever use UC punch, since I can already get kill confirms with slow missile and projectile traps.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
What's your opinion on defaulting to Absorbing Vortex for more versatile recovery? (Disclaimer: I don't play competitive, but I think it has merit.)

Vortex can get you extra height on your air-jumps and wall-jumps as well as turning you around so you can always F-air boost back, on top of letting you stall in the air a little longer if needed. It's pretty advanced and semi situational, but I really like using those tools over regular old Bomb Drop.

(I also actually default to Cannon Upper, so I think that has a lot to do with it - it can help with my usually awful recovery. I do sometimes use Lunar Launch, but I usually prefer Cannon Upper because I love a strong punish game and the fact you can instantly and generally safely cover the ledge with a runoff turnaround CU.)
Inmo I always use Bomb Drop as my default. No reason to use AV or Reflect, unless I'm fighting against Ness or Lucas(since Absorb is so good vs both of them). Canon Upper is just too situational and you can get the job done better with creating walls of projectiles with fair, missiles, bomb drop, etc.

If your gonna use UC and Absorb in your set. I recommended you use Missile as your side b and grenade as your B attack.

Slow missile and grenade(at times) can help with confirms into UC. Since you hover longer, thanks to Absorb. Grenade is a perfect move to abuse it with, b3cause it provides a safe landing, since you arent using bomb drop.

Grenade
Missile
UpperCut
Absorb Vortex

Play super tight and poke at them with fair, missile, and grenades. Absorb does help Gunner more with a great keepaway game.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Inmo I always use Bomb Drop as my default. No reason to use AV or Reflect, unless I'm fighting against Ness or Lucas(since Absorb is so good vs both of them). Canon Upper is just too situational and you can get the job done better with creating walls of projectiles with fair, missiles, bomb drop, etc.

If your gonna use UC and Absorb in your set. I recommended you use Missile as your side b and grenade as your B attack.

Slow missile and grenade(at times) can help with confirms into UC. Since you hover longer, thanks to Absorb. Grenade is a perfect move to abuse it with, b3cause it provides a safe landing, since you arent using bomb drop.

Grenade
Missile
UpperCut
Absorb Vortex

Play super tight and poke at them with fair, missile, and grenades. Absorb does help Gunner more with a great keepaway game.
That's actually the exact set I tend to use. It mostly just comes down to personal preference at the time, but I tend to prefer an aggressive gunner so Grenade and Upper are pretty great, whereas Vortex just improves my recovery and some MUs, and Missile just improves my range game.

Again, I don't mind Lunar Launch and Bomb Drop, but I feel confident in my ability to use the CU/Vortex combo more than those two as part of a whole set.

That being said, I also oddly enjoy 1-1-1-1 gunner so it ultimately doesn't bother me too much if I can't choose customs as long as the moves aren't literally all the worst customs. (I actually think 1-1-1-1 is pretty solid but I understand the preference for and general though that Bomb Drop and Missile are better.)

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I used to be guilty of dsmash spam/yolo stuff, but luckily I dialed it back recently.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Glad you brought up n-air as I think it is one of the most important spacing tools in our kit. I see a lot more people using full hop n-air into a landing f-air to make space between themselves if they are too close.

The only thing I kind of have a different opinion on is holding charge shot. At high percents holding it is great, as like you said, it instills fear and can bait out reactions on its own. However at low percents I feel mixing up your charge shots is a good way to further condition your opponent so when they eventually get to that higher percents they are unsure of at what charge you will be willing to throw it out on.

SR-71

Smash Apprentice
This thread has a lot of great advice! Especially the part about using smash attacks too much in neutral... I do that myself sometimes because they are so powerful and long-lasting, they can occasionally catch an opponent. But it's a horrible habit; a better opponent will learn to avoid your smash attacks, and punish you hard. Twerk you are a great Mii Gunner user, one of the best, and I hope you continue sharing your videos/knowledge on this board.

Last edited:

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
Maybe i'm a little new to mii gunner, but I use u-air to kill off the top, and if I remember correctly, one airdodge can't last out the length of u-air. So it's a solid move, at least to me.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Maybe i'm a little new to mii gunner, but I use u-air to kill off the top, and if I remember correctly, one airdodge can't last out the length of u-air. So it's a solid move, at least to me.
I don't remember the exact numbers, but if timed within a like 3 or 4 frame window, its possible to airdodge the whole move. Again, I don't have the exact numbers on me, but i believe Uair lasts 19 frames, and most airdodges last from 22-25 frames, depending on the character.

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
I don't remember the exact numbers, but if timed within a like 3 or 4 frame window, its possible to airdodge the whole move. Again, I don't have the exact numbers on me, but i believe Uair lasts 19 frames, and most airdodges last from 22-25 frames, depending on the character.
thats probably true, but it just seems like it lasts longer than a air dodge.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Actually, up air lasts for 21 frames. The reason why it still usually catches airdodges is because people airdodge the move before the hitboxes come out.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's a tip for anyone who plans to make a Mii Gunner. Be careful with how heavy you make the Mii Gunner, because if it's set to the heaviest possible level, it'll run slower than Mega Man's walk speed.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
The O.P. was quite informative. This will inspire me to make :4miigun: my main character.

Here's a tip for anyone who plans to make a Mii Gunner. Be careful with how heavy you make the Mii Gunner, because if it's set to the heaviest possible level, it'll run slower than Mega Man's walk speed.
Good to know. I tend not to mess with the weight setting anyway. Instead, I prefer making most of my Miis as tall as possible.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Good to know. I tend not to mess with the weight setting anyway. Instead, I prefer making most of my Miis as tall as possible.
Be careful though, since taller and fatter Miis will end up weakening your Mii Fighter's mobility and jump height. Sure, you'd get KO'd later, but not by much.

The lightest possible Mii Gunner can walk about as fast as Falco's walk speed, and run faster than Kirby, but it falls short of reaching Mario's run speed. Also, the lightest Mii Gunner seems to move slightly faster in the air than Roy, but is apparently less mobile in the air than Mewtwo.

I've went through a good amount of mobility tests for the Miis, just to see how their weight and height can affect their mobility and jumping. And when it comes to mobility, the heaviest Mii Gunner pretty much has it the worst, despite having better air mobility than the heaviest Mii Swordfighter (who falls short of reaching Olimar's air speed).

On a side note, when I say "heaviest", I basically mean that the Mii is set to the tallest and fattest possible settings, while the term "lightest" is for the Miis who have the shortest and thinnest possible settings.

Last edited:

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
^ Honestly, I don't get what you're trying to accomplish by making that comment to begin with as if people don't already know that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even if the Mii Gunner isn't competitively viable, that doesn't mean that you can't use it for fun. This applies to the Mii Brawler and Mii Swordfighter as well.

Top Bottom