• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't you think Smash needs better singleplayer/cooperative content?

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of new in the Super Smash Bros series. The first one I played was the Wii version, but I played only a few times because I got the game after a lot of time thinking that I would not like it because of videos I watched on YouTube that made me thought the game was too confusing. Fortunately I was very, very wrong, and I really liked the game. Anyway, I had never played it too much on the Wii cause it was kind of dead at the time and I sold it with everything I had. When the Smash for WiiU was released, I had the WiiU since the beginning, and jesus.. I loved the game. It was beautiful, the graphics, the music, the controls were better, everything was great about the core gameplay of the game, but I always had the feeling that... when I wanted to play the game alone, but not actually fight with other people online, the game modes available to play were not really good or exciting to me... and even playing with friends, if we wanted to spend some time in other game modes in some cooperative game, the game wasnt really very fun.

See... for a game with such a huge amount of characters of many different games, I don't see how it couldn't have some really good content for singleplayer gameplay or even cooperative.

For example, the Smash Tour board game, I tryed one time alone and one time with my friends, it was super confusing and random and boring to play or even to try to understand, so I gave up and never played it again. And I must say that, with me being very nitpicking, only see the Smash Tour button on the main menu of the game together with the Smash button annoyed me forever until the end of times, it always felt like a mistake put it there on the main menu, cause it should be at least inside Games & More or even in a sub-sub-menu, to really hide it from my vision (with respect to people that like this mode xD).

Talking about buttons for game modes, I never understood why Smash and 8-Player-Smash are two different buttons on the menu. They are the same thing. It could have a single Smash button and well... more controllers connected means more players to join. No need for a 8-Player-Smash button, it always felt like something to give an appearance of more modes when it was actually the same thing.

So, returning to game modes to play alone...
Target Blast, I played one time or two;
Home-Run Contest, I played one time or two, never returned;

These two game modes are on a Stadium area, it's nice to have them, but they are very limited on the ammount of fun they can provide. They kind of feel like a small web browser minigame, so I couldn't care about them after test them.

In the Stadium menu there's also a mode called Multi-Man Smash. That I really liked, and it is the closer I have in this Smash Bros game I have from what I expected for a singleplayer content. You fight an army of Mii fighters and it is super cool. You first fight 10, than 100 and then.. it's over. You can fight forever in a never-ending mode of this gamemode, and that's the problem. It's too fast, it works more like a concept of some battle that could happen in a campaign or adventure mode or a bigger challenge mode that doesnt exist.. and it's a disappointment to me. I always wanted that the game could provide me more moments like this fight against the 100-army, it was super fun to beat them the first time, and after that I tryed with a friend and it was also super fun. But after beat them, the only challenge the game gives to you is beat your own score, and then I lost interest.

In some menu I dont remember there is a mode called Trophy Rush. It also looks like a small minigame that I had no interest in play.

In resume, these three minigames on the game I just couldnt care... Trophy Rush, Target Blast and Home-Run Contest. I want to fight in other game modes, not only play minigames that looks like browser games, I want to use the core gameplay in a mode where I can fight against other fighters or in some plataformer-style gameplay. Until now, from 4 modes, only 1 partially provides this to me, but insufficiently.

So, let's check the other game modes..

Classic and All-Star and Special Orders feels the same to me. They have different rules, but the matches feel similar. They also ends very fast, there's no progress feeling on these modes to me.

The problem with these modes are.. They are not really very different from what I could have if I open a custom match and customize the options of each match to something similar. There are some boss fights here and there, but it is still a fast game mode that ends after some matches. Since they are fast and you just can replay them with different difficulties, it still looks to me like training modes, not some thing to invest time and have a progress feeling.

And then we have the Event mode. I like Event mode, but not as a main mode with again, a sense of progress. Each match is just too fast and sometimes I'm forced to play just some seconds with characters I'm not used to play. I think it is a necessary mode to have in the game, but it works really like a challenge mode, a thing to do after you beat some bigger more focused game mode, but this focused game mode doesnt exist in the game.

So, what you think? Dont you think this Ultimate version of the game should use this word Ultimate to reference more than a character list and add better game modes to the game too? Some thing more deep like a campaign, adventure mode, to play alone or with friends in matches with a sense of progress or huge levels or some mix of that?

To me, I need it, cause the WiiU version has a lot of menus and buttons with a lot of game modes that I feel they are very irrelevant and I have no desire to play just because how they work or because they are very simple, but there is potential in this game to be so much more...

Last edited:

Donkey_Butter

Smash Rookie
I completeley forgot about most of the stuff in “games and more”. Really the only things I ever acknowledged was smash and online modes.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's why Super Smash Bros. Brawl is my favorite game of the series. You can play Subspace Emissary where you have a big story-mode with bosses. When you complete the story-mode you get to play a new stadium mode where you fight every-bosses in a similar way to the All-Star Mode. I personally played a lot of this mode while the others (Home Run Contest, Target Smash!, Multi-Man melee, etc.) get boring easily. By the way, the game is easily moddable so you can download/create a bunch of powerful opponents to play the game in infinite ways. (See below a random SSBB Hack video)

I bought Sm4sh recently and when I don't play with my girlfriend, sometimes I just get bored since everything looks the same. The challenges are a good way for me to spend time on that game but it will never be as fun as Brawl for me. So I get to the conclusion that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate needs a story-mode like in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. While waiting the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, you might give Brawl another chance.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I've been thinking about Classic mode for a good while. I thought how it was in the beginning in SSB64 and how it was in 3DS and Wii U. I would really like something that closer to the original. Below is what I'd like to see. Any unlocked character can be fought in any match and unlike SSB4, any Mii character that the player has created can be selected by the game as an opponent.

Stage 1: 1 vs. 1 Regular Battle

Stage 2: 2 vs. 2 Team Battle. You and a randomly selected ally fight against a themed pair. “Mario Brothers” for Mario and Luigi, “Trouble Kings” for Bowser and King Dedede, "Star Fox" for Fox and Falco, and so on. All characters are paired up in this manner if possible. Some characters might be in more than one themed pair.

Stage 3: 1 vs. 1 Regular Battle

Bonus Stage 1: Break the Targets. A blend of the SSB64/Melee and Brawl philosophies. Each Universe represented gets their own Target Test Map.

Stage 4: 1 vs. 12 Multi-Character Battle

Stage 5: 1 vs. 1 Regular Battle

Stage 6: 1 vs. 1 Regular Battle

Bonus Stage 2: Board the Platforms. As with Targets, the layout is different for each series.

Stage 7: 1 vs. 1 Regular Battle

Stage 8: 1 vs. 1 Regular Battle

Stage 9: 3 vs. 1 Giant Battle

Bonus Stage 3: Race to the Finish. Similar to Melee/3DS where it starts linearly for the first segment, breaks up into branching paths for the second segment before converging into a linear path ending in a terminus.

Stage 10: 1 vs 1 Metal Battle at Meta Crystal. Meta Crystal returns as a stage and on a side note, it is available for mutiplayer.

Stage 11: 1 vs. 30 Fighting Team opponents at Battlefield

Stage 12: Master Hand at Final Destination. Crazy Hand is also encountered if certain conditions are met.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I like the Melee/64 fan-service but still, it will get boring since that's too repetitive. I think that it needs more diversity, so here is a little arrangement of your ideas (red = modified, yellow = bonus stage) :

Stage #01 : Regular Battle - Player vs. 1 Random character
Stage #02 : Team Battle - Player + 1 Random character vs. 2 opponent (Themed pair)
Stage #03 : Multi-Character Battle - Player vs. 12 opponnents
Stage #04 : Break the Targets! - Different versions depending on the characters you choose (criteria=fighter mobility)

Stage #05 : Regular Battle - Player vs. 1 Random character
Stage #06 : Themed Battle - Player vs. 2 opponents (Themed pair)
Stage #07 : Giant Battle - Player vs. 1 Random character (Giant)
Stage #08 : Boards the Platforms - Different layout for each series

Stage #09 : Regular Battle - Player vs. 1 Random character
Stage #10 : Multi-Man Melee - Player vs. 30 opponents (Fighting Polygon/WireFrames/Alloys/Mii?) at Battlefield
Stage #11 : Race to the Finish!
- Mix between SSBM Race to the Finish! & Smash Run! (Sm4sh 3DS).
Stage #12 : Metal Battle - Player vs. 2 Random metal character (Like in Melee but in easier intensity, the player could fight only 1 foe) at Meta Crystal.

Stage 13 : Final Destination - Player vs. Master-Hand & Crazy-Hand that will later transform into Master-Core.

About :
I decided to limit the "Regular battle" since those will create a "repetitive" / "redundant" feelings to most of the players. Some of those got replaced with special battle to increase the diversity of the game while slightly increasing the difficulty (2v2 to 1v2 for example). Race to the finish come just after Multi-Man melee for logic purposes (Fighter escape from the Battlefield and then comes to Meta Crystal before arriving to Final Destination). Metal Battle will be a better challenge with 2 opponents like it was back in SSBM. There are no reasons to exclude Master-Core, that's why I also think it should be in the mix too.

Top Bottom