• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't expect a lot of big named characters for the Challengers Pack. They're going to mostly contain "niche" characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceCrystal

Smash Cadet
I'm telling all of you right now, you're going to be getting nothing more than mostly "niche" characters for the upcoming Challengers Pack, & not many big, popular characters like you think that you'll be getting, just like with the "niche" characters from the Fighters Pass (& notice how I have the word niche in quotation marks).

So those of you who keep thinking that a huge popular character like Dante, Master Chief, Doomguy, etc. will get in, don't be surprised. Prepare for more disappointment, just like with the Fighters Pass.

Notice how Sakurai mentioned to not request him for fighters & that the characters in the Challengers Pack were already picked out. It's the same as with everyone from the Fighters Pass in which those characters were already decided by him & Nintendo of Japan themselves. A character's popularity/relevancy doesn't automatically mean that they're a guarantee.

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
I assume this post is based on the pattern recognition and theorizing that definitely always 100% without question turns out to be right.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I'm telling all of you right now, you're going to be getting nothing more than mostly "niche" characters for the upcoming Challengers Pack, & not many big, popular characters like you think that you'll be getting, just like with the "niche" characters from the Fighters Pass (& notice how I have the word niche in quotation marks).

So those of you who keep thinking that a huge popular character like Dante, Master Chief, Doomguy, etc. will get in, don't be surprised. Prepare for more disappointment, just like with the Fighters Pass.

Notice how Sakurai mentioned to not request him for fighters & that the characters in the Challengers Pack were already picked out. It's the same like everyone from the Fighters Pass in which they were already decided by him & Nintendo of Japan themselves. A character's popularity/relevancy doesn't automatically mean that they're a guarantee.
To be completely fair, just about every character in the Fighter Pass is from a niche franchise. The only truly big franchise was Dragon Quest. Persona? It gets a tad more attention now, but it's still not a mainstream title. Banjo-Kazooie? Hasn't had a game for more than a decade, hasn't had a good game for almost 2. Terry? As Iconic of a character for SNK as he is, SNK fighters are not mainstream in the way that Capcom fighters are. They have their niche and a contingent of very loyal fans, but I wouldn't call them super popular characters outside of those groups.

I expect more niche characters, hell I embrace more niche characters, so long as they're not from already well represented series in Smash. Hell, even Fire Emblem itself is a niche series, so I'm not surprised that they pushed yet another one into the game to try and grow it's audience. As spiteful as it sounds, I hope that tactic failed so they'll stop trying to force it down our throats in Smash.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping for Scorpion & Urshifu & Lara Croft. Honestly don't care about anything else but I heard theres already recorded lines for Doom Slayer & Master Chief

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To be fair, Dante isn't exactly mainstream. He was considered so Niche to Capcom they gave him an unnecessary gritty western reboot to make him more mainstream. Because that always works so well

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
To be fair, Dante isn't exactly mainstream. He was considered so Niche to Capcom they gave him an unnecessary gritty western reboot to make him more mainstream. Because that always works so well
It's not that he was considered niche, but that they're idiots who felt rebooting a beloved franchise (except for 2) could get them more sales. Thankfully the abortion of a character that DmC Dante was, died quickly along with his lame brother. The real Dante is so popular as a character that he's been in several crossovers, including Project X Zone, Marvel vs Capcom, and Shin Megami Tensei. The genre may be niche, but the character has made waves outside of it.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
do you know what bothers me about the title? you come across like it's a fact while it's not,
just because nintendo/Sakurai already decided or still has to decide doesn't mean you get unpopular characters only,

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

Notice how Sakurai mentioned to not request him for fighters & that the characters in the Challengers Pack were already picked out. It's the same as with everyone from the Fighters Pass in which those characters were already decided by him & Nintendo of Japan themselves. A character's popularity/relevancy doesn't automatically mean that they're a guarantee.
No characters from this Fighters Pass were particularly niche. Dragon Quest, Persona, Fatal Fury, Fire Emblem, and Banjo-Kazooie are all pretty well known, and beloved (some more than others, but still).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom