• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't (Doki Doki) Panic! Imajin for Smash 5!

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
There a character that more than deserves representation in a game that celebrates Nintendo. Despite that many have long forgotten about him (and his game) and plenty more never even knew about him, he is the main character in a game that spawned a large amount of Nintendo and Mario history.

The character the I'm talking about is Imajin. He is the main character Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic--otherwise known as Super Mario Bros 2. Imajin has the distinction of being the only character ever created with the intent of serving two roles: game character and television mascot.

Now, first, i'll explain the game. It was created as a Japanese exclusive for the Famicom disc system. It was a very well received platformer about a family trying to rescue kids. When it was time to release Super Mario Bros 2 in the United States of America, Nintendo decided the real SMB2 (later released here as Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels), was too difficult for the American audience.

Nintendo's solution was to give Doki Doki Panic a Mario face lift. They replaced Imajin, Papa, Mama and Lina (the Yume Kojo family and main characters of the game) with Mario, Peach, Luigi, and Toad. They changed many other things as well, which can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yume_Kōjō:_Doki_Doki_Panic

Imajin is the main character of what is the 2nd Mario game in the USA. He is a relatively unknown, yet very historical Nintendo character. Consider this: it was Imajin's game for which Birdo, Wart, and the ShyGuy's were created. Without Imajin's game, these characters would never have been in a single Mario main series game, let alone the spinoff games in which those characters appear so prominantly. Another small note: The alternate world in Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros 2 is called the Subspace.

Super Mario Bros 2 has been ported to the snes (all-stars), gba, wii (all stars), and virtual console. The characters and themes from the game have been adapted into Mario main series games as well as spinoff games countless times across every console generation. And none of this would have ever happened, so many classic characters would have never been a part of the Mario universe had it not been for Imajin's game.

As far as a moveset is concerned, I'd like him to borrow Peach's turnip pull, but otherwise have a unique moveset of his own. Aside from standard punches and kicks, of course. I'm picturing an Up B where he opens and enters the Subspace door, and another door opens higher up on the screen and he emerges. His Down B could work like Snake's, only instead of a landmine it's the potion bottle. I'm just brainstorming here, but the point is this character could have a lot of, well, character.

Here is an example of how he could look as a Smash character (credit goes to http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Fanten_Expo/Fantasy_Factory)

An out-of-left-field character who has a lot of Nintendo and Mario historical value. Maybe it's just me, but that feels perfect for Smash Bros!

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
A problem that I see with this, is that he is owned by Fuji TV, not exactly a video game character. But who knows, I sort of see Popeye and Imajin does have a history with Nintendo too.

Top Bottom