• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't Approach: Melee's Flaw Dissected

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Lovely necrobump lol.

Play how you want, get good at playing that way, and **** breaking the game for win desperation. Play to combo and play to destroy.

Aggressive play since day 1. :colorful:

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
this thread is basically dead but i just noticed that smash 4 while overall slower fixes alot of these defensive issues, both croush canceling and smash di are severely weakened, double jumping back is viable because most characters have good recoveries and don't require a double jump + airdodging means they can still escape combos, and cornering people is good since ledge stalling was removed, go figue.

Last edited:

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
So basically my playstlye is very campy so I usually like to jump away on to plat forms and to retreating lasers but I'm not that good at baiting so here and there I just throw out random hitboxes towards my opponent
according to smash hour's neutral video he says that the only time you approach is when you notice an opening in the other player's defense or you have been baited

if anything I suck at counting mixups and noticing those openings, I tend to play extremely passively. what do you think I should do?

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
This thread is about to blow up again because of Scar and Toph making fun of it on the Reads. I love the way Aziz thinks about the game: he's got great ideas and thoughts, and takes them all up to 11.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
This thread is about to blow up again because of Scar and Toph making fun of it on the Reads.
Is it this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CgJNF59XNA
Time stamp?

Nevermind, I found it. Starting at 07:06 and until 07:53

Foxes like Crush use down-tilt more which is kind of safe in neutral as a sort of approach tool. Zain uses Marth's down-tilt to that effect.
Running Shine with Fox seems to work as a way to approach.
My initial thought is that his predictions aren't holding up at the dawn of this new era---not that his assessment of the differences between Smash and other games are wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom