• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kongs of from everywhere UNITE!

allens

Smash Rookie
Ok, Now most of you will not know me. But i have a collaborative idea for these boards to improve our skills as DK and possibly push him up the tier list to where i think he deserves to be.

OK here we go.
You know how ever since you started playing competitive smash, there was 1 person who helped you train, and you had your main (DK hopefully, but doesnt matter) and they had their main (this is the important part).

for the past 3 years, I have played countless matches against a toon link (one of the best in australia, who is currently talking to MJG about MU advice), i know this matchup like the back of my hand, I ALWAYS play confidently, I never over extend and when I switch character to fight a toon link, i can still win easily because i know toon link so well.

I also know a bunch of other matchups really well, but none even COMPARE to the toonlink match up. So here it is.

I want everyone who visits these boards to say what character they have the most experience with (One character should trump all the others), more than any other. Even if you dont main DK your input is greatly appreciated.

From here, we can compile a database of MU advice, from the players that know their ****. This is no disrespect to Will, Ripple, Ook, Bum, Dr Grandpa or anyone else. you are all great players, and something i believe that sets you apart from the rest is your ability to adapt. Taking what you have learn't in previous matchups and applying them to others.

Next chance i get to record some videos against my toon link player i will upload them and possibly give even the top players some advice on the match up, I think it would be great for everyone to contribute in the same way, but try and keep the advice you give exclusively to that one character you know better than anyone.

While the match is playing video commentary would also help.

When i make said video i will talk about:
options (mine and my opponents)
zoning
punishing specific attacks
conditioning
risk vs reward
attacks i avoid using, and WHY?
attacks to watch out for and punish!

tldr; read all of it, it's worth 3 minutes of your time (and not worth our's if you don't read it)

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I actually really like this concept. I'll try and get a set between me and Judo (Sheik) up and I wouldn't mind commentating it. I'd also really appreciate your Toon Link stuff.

Ruinn

Smash Ace
I'm sad that the person who taught me used random, so I'm not familiar with 1 character. However, because of him, I have a general understanding of every character. Though, the character I have the most experience against would probably have to be zss. My brother mains him, and I face countless of them online. I know the range of her grabs, throws, smashes, everything. I'm not the greatest at applying this knowledge I have of her, but I do know her like the back of my hand.

allens

Smash Rookie
This is all fantastic, i'm glad to see others think this is a good idea.

this weekend I have a tournament coming up interstate so I'll make sure i'll record some friendlies with my toon-link and add in some commentary.

@Ruinn, you're ZSS stuff would be appreciated on my end, I think video commentary would be ideal, but if not in depth matchup analysis would be amazing. If you're writing stuff down instead of speaking your mind try and remember you're audience is DK mains who aren't as experienced as yourself, so the more detail. the better. I feel that's the whole advantage of this scheme.

I'll keep checking in on this thread and my PMs, and i'll do my best to get the toon link match up ASAP (I'll make sure it's well polished to set a good example).

keep trainin ^.^

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
this idea is actualy really good. =)
is this more a mu threat or a guide?

well I always used to main dk
but atm I use diddy more in competetive play =$
and fun fact is that my teacher also mains diddy
I still know a Few important mu's really well. :)
my best mu as a dk would probably be iether diddy or marth
and I know mk really good.

I will try to whrite down mu's later on.Although I kinda suck at that expect=/

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
I don't really have anything new to contribute atm but I would love to hear about falco and diddy mu exp.

I think it's also about time we filled in more ties if you know what I mean

:phone:

allens

Smash Rookie
@ goofy

Yes this will be a match-up advice thread, but keeping each person to doing the matchup they know better than any other (this should hopefully be a significant amount).

I believe that by doing this we will compile an amazing database of in depth MU advice that we can all contribute towards! If we want to get better, we need to collaborate.

I know the MK match-up almost as well as the toon-link one, and thats because of the depth of research that has gone into MK's abilities and battle strategy, I want to provide detailed MU advice for every character (not just Metaknight).

This MU advice might just be something that gives us an edge over every other character.

and Goofy your information regarding the diddy match up might be very useful.

Other than maining DK i secondary Snake, Falco, Diddy so i can help with MU advice with those too. although I don't know them anywhere near as well as i know the toon link matchup, and its that knowledge that i'm trying to tap into.

Top Bottom