• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong's New Meteor Smash

NNID
Rektnator
A week ago I was watching playthroughs of Donkey Kong 64, since it's my favorite Donkey Kong game. By watching the walkthroughs I remembered some of the abilities Donkey Kong and the crew had back then. Some of those moves are already part of DK's move-set, but there's one of his abilities that could be considered an excellent meteor smash for Donkey Kong. It's like Dk's Ground Pound version (similar to Mario's), but I think it suits him better than the current D-Air, and it's more likely a buff for Donkey Kong's move-set in my perspective. Should DK's D-Air be replace or should the Ground Pound move be added as a Down B-Air move? What do you guys think?

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=206dhjIY29w (The Ground Pound attack is shown at 14:10 of the video)

Last edited:

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
DK already has a true spike that has very safe spacing and hits below the stage when you're standing on it. He also has forward+B as a pseudospike.
As MVP put it, that would basically be a copycat of Wario's dair, which would be pretty awkward for DK's move kit, but unnecessary given DK's pre-existing options.

His current dair is great for extending combos, and is outclassed as a KO move (most of the time) by his other spikes. Dair KOs are very possible, though, if you predict an opponent's double jump and dair them as they recover.

NNID
Rektnator
DK already has a true spike that has very safe spacing and hits below the stage when you're standing on it. He also has forward+B as a pseudospike.
As MVP put it, that would basically be a copycat of Wario's dair, which would be pretty awkward for DK's move kit, but unnecessary given DK's pre-existing options.

His current dair is great for extending combos, and is outclassed as a KO move (most of the time) by his other spikes. Dair KOs are very possible, though, if you predict an opponent's double jump and dair them as they recover.
Fair enough... Correct me if I'm wrong, but DK doesn't have the Down B Air option, so wouldn't be great if he had an extra move? I don't see any effect on his move-set.

Returnofthemac

Smash Cadet
If I recall correctly, the only character other than dk that has an arial special that does nothing at all is peach with her down b. Now im not saying that DK desperately needs an arial down b, but, if he were to gain one it would have to make sense for him while not being too centralizing.

Maybe it could be something along the lines of something that could act like his move from donkey kong country where he simply jumps on the opponent and gains height. So something like a damaging footstool with similar timing. however for balancing, the frames and effects of the move can be adjusted to make it situational.

Once again I think DK is perfect how he is and this is nothing but a suggestion on something that could make him more of a unique character.

Id love to hear what you guys think about this.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
DK's current Dair is fine. I like catching people who like to roll a lot with it.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
Which one of DK's moves goes through the stage?
Also yeah I think this would be a bad idea. Ilike DK's movement and I think this clashes with it.
I'd kind of like him to have a wall jump

call2brawl7000

Smash Rookie
Boy would I love to have a wall jump on DK, but I don't think he needs it by any means. He's very much an onstage character already and I see him as similar to captain falcon in terms of play style and balance. He's got a weak recovery, but it's worth it for the godlike combos and reach, along with his speed.

Also, DK's fair and dair can both reach below the stage, but fair is the spike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom