• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong Spikes v Meteors

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
Which of Donkey Kongs aerials are spikes v meteors? I think fair and dair are meteors and I thought side b was as well, but I heard it's actually a spike?

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Dair is a meteor, Fair is definitely a spike, and side b is a gimmicky waste of a move slot so don't know or care what it is cause always a better option for edge guarding.

Last edited:

selkies

Smash Rookie
All three of the moves (Dair, Fair, and Headbutt) are meteor smashes. None of them are spikes.

Sources:
Aerials - supersmashbros(dot)wikia.com/wiki/Donkey_Kong_(SSBB)#Moveset
Headbutt - supersmashbros(dot)wikia.com/wiki/Headbutt

Sorry for weird links, technically can't post links yet because I'm under 10 posts.

If you're still skeptical, just set up a game with a friend and test to see if you can meteor cancel any of the moves. If it's cancellable, it's a meteor smash; if it's not cancellable, it's a spike.

Last edited:

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure DK's fair came up in conversation several times. The sweet spot acts like Lucas's bair and falco's down air. In addition have tried jumping out of it several times, done it on dair but no to fair.

Last edited:

MTGod

Smash Champion
+1 to fair being a spike. I believe Headbutt to be a meteor just because of the knockback scaling being similar to dair, but I rarely connect with the move so I can't say for sure.

If only it had armour!

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
Headbutt is a spike. And it's not a bad move, just extremely situational. If you give your opponent a weak bair/nair when they are expecting a strong one, headbutt will combo if you do it immediately. Because of its knockback trajectory, it's the best option in some circumstances.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Everything that is vertical is a meteor
Everything that is not is a spike. I think there's like 10° of margin of error but don't quote me on that.
Meteor cancelling is designed to couter moves that send you downward too violently, but sakurai forgot that some moves do not send you exactly downwards, hence the difference. That's pretty much all there is to it.

DK's moves that are meteors :
-dair
-down B (but it can only hit grounded opponents, so the only consequence is that it deals 1.3 times more hitstun due to the bounce that makes you lose momentum but not hitstun)

DK's moves that are spikes :
-the second half of fair
-side B

Kinda unique :
-footstool on an airborne opponent (it doesn't deal hitstun so it's neither a meteor or a spike, it makes the opponent go through a 30 frames long animation and the distance travelled is only proportional to their falling speed)

Don't link wiki pages that are from other games, DK has received changes.

Last edited:

Returnofthemac

Smash Cadet
You guys are ****ing wrong side b doesn't spike you *******.
Just go into the debug mode or whatever you wanna call it and do a simple test. At any decent percent a move is meteor cancelable after i believe 16 frames of travel after hitlag. there is a portion of dks fair that is a metor due to how the hitbox's angle is roughly tangent to the arc of his arms. so when its within 10 degrees (more or less) trajectory of straight down, you could meteor cancel it. However, Side b is 100 % a spike and after a simple test, one would find that you will only be able to act when out of hit stun.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Just go into the debug mode or whatever you wanna call it and do a simple test. At any decent percent a move is meteor cancelable after i believe 16 frames of travel after hitlag. there is a portion of dks fair that is a metor due to how the hitbox's angle is roughly tangent to the arc of his arms. so when its within 10 degrees (more or less) trajectory of straight down, you could meteor cancel it. However, Side b is 100 % a spike and after a simple test, one would find that you will only be able to act when out of hit stun.
I assumed the person was a troll and didn't bother responding. Debug mode kind of kills the need to ask these types of questions anyway. Plus there are several list for meteors and spikes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom