• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Donkey Kong Social Thread (read first post!)

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
How are you guys doing short hop double back air? I can't seem to do it at all and trying to gets me killed.

Last edited:

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
How are you guys doing short hop double back air? I can't seem to do it at all and trying to gets me killed.
To perform a short hop double b-air, the first b-air must be input immediately upon leaving the ground. The second b-air should be input immediately after.

If you are familiar with buffering, it comes into play here. As soon as you jump you should basically hold back and mash A to input the aerial as soon as possible.

Again, once we have C-sticks via GC controllers on the console version this will not be such a mindless endeavor. We will be able to advance or retreat and use the C-stick to input b-airs much more easily.

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
DK feels weaker than in Brawl
That is where you are mistaken my fellow smasher! Whilst characters "appear" to live longer, and yes, they only appear to live longer, giving off the illusion that Dk is weaker than his Brawl counterpart.

However! This is not the case at hand, at all. Everyone, and I do mean everyone has more knockback than their brawl counterparts, HOWEVER. Vectoring makes it look like everyone got weaker because Vectoring can make people live about 30-50% longer than they normally would.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Do you guys think we need a Q and A Thread so we don't get simple questions made into a full thread?

I don't think it would be a bad idea so new players will see it right away and not start a thread asking 1 question.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Hey DK dudes! I'll be participating in an online Smash 4 Invitational with a $250 pot bonus tomorrow (11/6/14) on VGBootcamp's livestream starting at 5:30pm EST. There were 16 top players invited and I was lucky enough to be included this time around!

I figured I should let you guys know in case you wanted to watch. =) I'll be using DK and Sheik. Just gotta find out if I want to use customs or not and in which matchups to use which character. Any suggestions would be appreciated and I'll take them into consideration during my sets!!! Thanks.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Nice Will! I think you should definitely consider running some custom sets if you can. I find that almost all of his customs are at least situationally useful. I'd recommend going for 1x33 (B, Side B, Up B, Down B).

With Up B3 you can do all the old Up B shenanigans that were in brawl like lagless landings and invincible roflcopter. In the air it has a pretty crazy vacuum effect that also applies hitstun (only closer to DK). It also has super armor frames both on the ground and in the air, but the super armor frames kick in later than the Up B1. It also doesn't go as high (I'd guesstimate it goes about 80% as high), so be careful with it offstage. You trade a multihitting grounded approach/dodge punish tool for crazy aerial dominance and shenanigans.

I really like Down B3 because it trades horizontal reach for vertical presence. Being able to hit people in the air is great, but what makes me like it a lot is it's potential at stuffing aerial approaches, ledge traps, and even platform abuse from below. It can serve as a kill move in a pinch at around 130ish and for some reason it has less lag and startup than Down B1 in the air which makes it actually decent as an aerial. Aerial Down B3 is disjointed enough to blow up bombs without getting hit at a diagonal angle in front of you, which also happens to be a blindspot for DK in the air. Some MU's you might prefer Down B1's range and ezmode roll punishes.

All 3 Side B's are situational and semi-useful. I don't think it matters much.

You should probably opt for the standard Giant Punch most of the time. It's the only one with super armor and massive KO power. If you are vs someone who gives you 0 breathing room or leaves you with no free time to charge safely, you might want to get Lightning Punch (B2). It charges very fast and it pretty much behaves like a souped up Ftilt that you can also use in the air.

I hope this helps you or anyone else thinking about using customs and which customs to use. Good luck in the tourney.

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
How useful in the jumping headbutt in mus where landing is difficult? I feel like that can be a useful move against those people who just never let you land, but I haven't really tried it much.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
So the 16 man invitational tourney Will mentioned should be starting pretty soon. Here is the link to the stream http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

@ Brickbox Brickbox I think jumping headbutt is somewhat useful in those scenarios, but what keeps it from being really good at escaping those situations is that the momentum you get from it is inconsistent shortly after getting hit. It's just another option to use, especially if you don't have a double jump.

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Can you guys help me test doing cargo throw at the edge and then letting them break free. I feel like it could be a solid gimmick on certain characters.

If the person jumps the have to time it perfectly so they get the ledge and don't get hit. If they use their up b it still leaves you at an advantage against characters with slow start up recovery moves(like spaces and lucario etc.) If they don't jump into your dtilt you can just punish the up b with stage spike.

This might not make since. I hate posting on mobile.
Glad to see Will used this against the lucario on stream, it puts you in such a good position against certain characters.

enjoyed the stream a lot :)

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
got any tricks with it I might not know? so far I only use it at the ledge against certain chars.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
You have no idea how GOOD the Cargo hold break is.
So are Cargo Hold breaks DK's next big thing? I guess I should be doing this near the edge and anything else?

On another note has anyone been testing out mid air downB? The move goes largely unused because of the lag it has mid air and into landing and mostly because it was just something that we couldn't do for the last 15 years.

But I've been fairly successful with it over edge on more predictable recoveries. With the double hit and the fact that it lasts longer than the other spikes it's slowly becoming a decent spiking mix up to be used off stage. For me any way.

I normally chase my opponents with the Dair or the Fair and for a DK it's pretty predictable so the downB has been spiking people by surprise.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I haven't been a massive fan of mid air down b, the spike is weak, first hit is frame 20 and it doesn't slow down your fall momentum either, so if you ff, you're dead.

Instead I've been using run off Nair for gimping, edguarding is really easy in this game now.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Same here, run off nair is great and it is my go to move if they are recovering ambiguously. It has a decent amount of active frames and covers a lot of space. If it hits you can almost always hit with ub-b afterwards.

Air Down-b in my opinion has no use at all at the moment.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Aerial Down B sucks without custom moves. Fair and Dair spikes are way stronger and easier to do imo. Well spaced Side B spikes can be ledge-canceled for safety. It has a very nice arc and would have been a good attack if it wasn't so slow/laggy or autocanceled/had less landing lag. Down B3 fixes the slow part, but it is still a little laggy.

Offstage, I think Nair is great. The long active frames lets you go deep with with it and still recover. It's especially good at punishing recoveries like Sonic/Rosa/Mega Man that have no hitboxes.

If you ever grab Mega Man after he Rush Coils, immediately go to Cargo Hold from the grab just release him on the ledge and he will fall to his death. If you are slow he might touch the ground with his legs during the grab and get his jumps back. If you grabbed him on the ledge you don't have to worry about his feet touching the ground mid grab.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
If you ever grab Mega Man after he Rush Coils, immediately go to Cargo Hold from the grab just release him on the ledge and he will fall to his death. If you are slow he might touch the ground with his legs during the grab and get his jumps back. If you grabbed him on the ledge you don't have to worry about his feet touching the ground mid grab.
Oooh good find, does it work with other recoveries? I'll have to test it out. I wish this game had a better training mode :/

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Hey DK boards. I've picked up DK for smash 4 and I'm really looking forward to playing him a lot more hopefully at a high level. He's got a really fun offensive game and his shield breaking ability is so fun, unique, and absurd. Also, the edge guarding with such a heavy character is something I really enjoy.

I've got a couple things for you that I haven't seen mentioned:

The advantage of the down-B aerial, at least in my experience, is that you can b-reverse/turnaround B it, so when you look like you're going for a B-air, you spike them. I'm not a very technical smash player (especially not on the 3ds), but whenever I pull it off, I feel really clever.

F-tilt has different properties when you angle it up or down or leave it neutral. Angling up deals 1% more (11%) and has more knockback/ kills at 184%, while angling down deals 1% less (9%) and has less knockback/kills at 222%. Leaving it neutral deals 10% and kills at 198%. The other differences are a higher/lower angle of launch and different hitboxes. At max ftilt range, an angled up ftilt will not hit a standing Olimar... but in general - Angle those F-tilts up!

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
One of my favorite things to do is spike people with Fair, but facing backwards. You jump at them faking a Bair, but really you are waiting for an air dodge and a stylish hard read.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Welcome Locke! yeah I did notice up angled f tilt did 1% more but I didn't know it killed earlier, thanks for the info.

And yeah, if you know with out a doubt some one is going to air dodge I would go with a fake bair and then fair. It is so much safer because b reversal down be just has so much room for failure.

Last edited:

RE-DAZ

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone, i'm finally here just wondering if i should main DK he is my "secondary" since i got the game, but i feel like dropping my main (shulk) but i still don't know. BTW any ideas for Oos opstions? B-air only works on tall characters from what ive seen and Nair too.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Hi everyone, i'm finally here just wondering if i should main DK he is my "secondary" since i got the game, but i feel like dropping my main (shulk) but i still don't know. BTW any ideas for Oos opstions? B-air only works on tall characters from what ive seen and Nair too.
Ub-b Oos is beyond good. better than any air move OoS.

Main who you are most comfortable with, if you are comfortable with both then just keep playing both. Having multiple characters in this game really helps out, especially with characters who have really bad mus.

welcome btw :)

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Thanks, why is people mad about Dk's Fsmash?
It whiffs against people very close to you. It is also weaker than it was in Brawl.

As for your earlier OoS question - I like Up B OoS, Bair OoS, and Dtilt/Jab OoS. If they do a strong but laggy attack that pushes you far away I like doing dash attack or Down B. Dsmash OoS and Neutral B OoS are good at punished laggy moves close to you.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Does anyone here have the capabilities to compile frame data once the full game is out?

I have a strange love for frame data ._.

Last edited:

RiotLettuce

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiotLettuce
3DS FC
0877-2587-1813
Won my second offline tourney as DK. Had to fight two good Rosalinas and a good Sheik. DK for God tier

RiotLettuce

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiotLettuce
3DS FC
0877-2587-1813
Also another thing that has been bothering me, is that DK only has 8 costumes. For all the other characters on the roster, it's always been one costume thats the coolest one, that you know is going to be overused, so you go for your own weird one or unique one. But with DK, almost all the costumes are used by players. And DK's costumes arent just regular costumes, they're practically individual personalities. I wish we could have more so most DK mains have a choice between which one and not being overused.

TL;DR: Give DK 30 costumes, Sakurai

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
<- would pay money for dk costume dlc
<-

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
People are really sleeping on dk. Eventscrubs has made people think dk isn't a threat. Great job neon!

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Yeah good performances all around. Hopefully I'll be able to join you guys in the Kong-quest for glory soon :chuckle:.

GanonMaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dragmirejr
well, hi fellow smash 4 DK people. I am a norwegian smash who picked up DK on 3ds, but it wasn't until yesterday I really fell in love with. Like, so mjuch that I actually wanna play semicompetetive now. (Melee is the only game I do competetive atm, and kinda Brawl)

So I've read some posts, and why doesn't aerial down b get love? it is my favourite spike by far, and the hitbox of it is HUGE. It kills most of the cast on 80% percent from my experience, and is the most usable spike imo.

As for playing DK, I find approaching and landing a very hard thing atm. I feel like DK has no approaches, but many awesome counterapproaches. Down b kills rolls and shields (breaks in four hits or something o_O), and ftilt/dtilt have enough range to counter grabs. Right now I am testing utilt as an antiair, but I finf utilt very hard to use in this game for some reason. (it is definitly harder than in melee!)

Also, Nair is a cool move. It combos sometimes into Fairs, nairs and dairs, so it is the main comboattack in the air :)

BTW: a combo I did tonight, I loved it myself xD

Shog

Smash Ace
Just want to say that I rekt my brother who I play smash with since 1999(wow!) with DK and we both were dumbfounded how huge the Side B range is...can't better player teach me the ways of Side B? I owned my bro but as always, he quickly adapted.

Side B from DK is such a good move :p

Top Bottom