Ben Holt

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
NNID
BenHolt
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I realized while playing Donkey Kong's Classic Mode that DK compared to K. Rool is way too damn big, especially when you count his width.
Look in this video! DK is almost as tall as K. Rool and Bowser, but look at this Mario height chart:
940.jpg

Donkey Kong on all fours should be about Peach's height, but obviously much wider.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that notices this, but to me, it's so jarring to see DK fight K. Rool due to the insanely bad scaling.
I'm not saying that K. Rool needs to be twice DK's size like he was in Donkey Kong Country, but DK could use a decent size nerf.

Anyone agree with me?

EDIT: Also, Wario needs to be Luigi's height, but this is a DK subforum, so Wario only gets a footnote for being slightly off scale.

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
If he were smaller, his attacks would also have less range so it wouldn't be a universal buff. I do agree DK is too big and his infamous tie hurtbox doesn't make sense anymore since they changed his idle stance.

whitesnake

Smash Cadet
Size - and by extension a big hurt box - drags down all of the heavyweights

I do wish they would trim the hurt boxes slightly and put more emphasis on what should be a positive aspect of size: bigger hitboxes / more reach

Ben Holt

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
NNID
BenHolt
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Yea. Size is such a mixed trade-off with bigger hitboxes, but bigger hurtboxes as well, that it's basically a wash.
Before Ultimate, it didn't seem as weird since we didn't have K. Rool to compare to DK size wise, but the first time I played Classic Mode with DK, I legit thought that K. Rool was scaled down.
DK easily should be 25% smaller to be in proper scale. He's DONKEY Kong, not KING Kong.

whitesnake

Smash Cadet
Yea. Size is such a mixed trade-off with bigger hitboxes, but bigger hurtboxes as well, that it's basically a wash.
Before Ultimate, it didn't seem as weird since we didn't have K. Rool to compare to DK size wise, but the first time I played Classic Mode with DK, I legit thought that K. Rool was scaled down.
DK easily should be 25% smaller to be in proper scale. He's DONKEY Kong, not KING Kong.
I agree mostly but don’t think the trade off at present is fair. Ex: is pikachu’s fsmash longer than k rool’s? Do all of the swordsmen outrange most heavies?

NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I realized while playing Donkey Kong's Classic Mode that DK compared to K. Rool is way too damn big, especially when you count his width.
Look in this video! DK is almost as tall as K. Rool and Bowser, but look at this Mario height chart:
View attachment 243185

Donkey Kong on all fours should be about Peach's height, but obviously much wider.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that notices this, but to me, it's so jarring to see DK fight K. Rool due to the insanely bad scaling.
I'm not saying that K. Rool needs to be twice DK's size like he was in Donkey Kong Country, but DK could use a decent size nerf.

Anyone agree with me?

EDIT: Also, Wario needs to be Luigi's height, but this is a DK subforum, so Wario only gets a footnote for being slightly off scale.
Actually, DK's body isn't bigger than K. Rool, it's just DK's head that makes DK appear bigger. DK isn't too big, his head is too big lol!

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
NNID
BahamurShin
Nope. DK' size is fine as it is. Making him almost as big as Bowser and K. Rool gives him a more powerful presence that just wouldn't feel as effective if he was smaller.

And I wouldn't use the Mario chart for reference. The source material can't even agree on one consistent size for its characters:

Old DK and Diddy looked disproportionate next to each other, and King K. Rool in DK64 is a giant instead of simply being larger than DK.

The chart also depicts Petey Piranha whose size differs depending on the game. In Smash, he is massive; in Mario Kart, he is just taller than Bowser.

Capture.PNG

Smash Bros. size is where is at.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
NNID
BenHolt
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I would LOVE this size. DK right now ingame is almost as tall as, and even WIDER THAN K. Rool.
I'm not asking to make DK a middle size character, but a 25% overall size nerf would make him look so much more in scale with K. Rool.

NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would LOVE this size. DK right now ingame is almost as tall as, and even WIDER THAN K. Rool.
I'm not asking to make DK a middle size character, but a 25% overall size nerf would make him look so much more in scale with K. Rool.
I think nerfing the size of DK's head a bit would be good enough honestly.