• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong is currently the best heavyweight, and probably even the best character, for beginners. Here's why

Inking2003

Smash Cadet
When I first started playing Ultimate, I went for my previous main, Kirby. To summarize my experience without going into great detail, he sucks. After my failure with the puffball, I decided to play the meme of the game, and I was amazed at how delightful he is to play. Good ol' DK is also pretty broken in the current update, especially when fighting against lower level CPUs, which is what most beginners do. DK is able to kill any fighter, and I mean ANY fighter, if they are over 50%. The fully charged Neutral B, or as I like to call it, the Monkey Punch, is extremely powerful. It has an insane amount of launch power, and does a good 20% of damage. And since the lower level CPUs give you the time to do this, he becomes a demon of a fighter.

Though DK can't chain combos or quickly recover from mistakes, and his grabs are kinda convoluted, he hits like a truck. Every single one of his attacks, except for his Side B, Down B, and non fully charged Monkey Punch, does something around 10-15% damage. This means that he can very quickly get his opponent into kill percentage. I have managed to find the optimal system of achieving the 50% KO, and it shall be listed below

1. Hit the opponent a few times. Within the span of a few hits, the opponent should be somewhere above 45%. That's right where you want them.
    • Make sure while this step is occurring that you are charging up the Monkey Punch
  2. Once the opponent is at that golden percentage, use the Side B to lock them in the ground. The Side B should do enough damage to get the opponent to just above 50%.
  3. Unleash the fully charged Monkey Punch while they are still in the ground. To do this, simply press B right after you do the Side B. You'll be the right distance away.
And that about raps that up. That's really how easy it is. A strategy like this is great when starting out because it will let you begin to unlock characters that you might like to perfect your skills on. Of course, this tactic does have its limitations. After you unlock a few characters, when it comes time to face another new fighter, the CPU will be pretty skilled. This means that the CPU will give you less time to charge up the Monkey Punch and be less open to damage. Another limitation is that even though DK can easily get opponents to the kill percentage, it's hard for him to actually land the killing blow when it comes to facing a skilled opponent or higher level CPU. Though he is a heavyweight and hard to KO because of that, he is very easy to punish for mistakes and to juggle due to that big hitbox. If this strategy were to be utilized in higher levels of game play, the person playing DK would need to be very skilled at him.

This strategy can only get a beginner so far, but once this tactic starts to become ineffective, the beginner knows a good amount on how to play the game, and can move forward off their great starting point. I hope this help the newbies of the Smash world.

Inking2003

Smash Cadet
Wow I was expecting at least a thank you for sharing this, but I guess I'll take the silent treatment. HMPH! Don't worry, it's not you, it's me....

I just want validation plz I'm lonely and need to feel good pat my squishy little head plz

Wolfirre

Smash Rookie
Sorry buddy but i don't get the point about that thread, if you are beginning you'll just have to play to quickly learn and improve

Inking2003

Smash Cadet
I know that. This tactic will help the new players starting with just the 8 original fighters quickly unlock the first few characters. This is a method that is meant to quickly go through and unlock said characters so that the new player can try them out sooner

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
This is lame. Don't tell beginners to use DK! If they aren't spamming rock and thunder they aren't doing it right.

TsmGoham

Smash Rookie
a nice tactic i like when using DK is Side-B into Donkey Punch
Since Side-B has armor which means even tho you get hit the attack will still go through.
Another nice combo is Up throw into Up-Air which is a pretty good combo to wrack up some dmg.
And Up Tilt imo is so good , literally run up to them and spam UpTilt.
And lastly if you want people to rage quit on you , get your enemy to around 60-80 dmg do a front throw which will put them
on your shoulder go down to the ledge and just SD with them.

AlphaYak

Smash Rookie
NNID
AlphaYak
Switch FC
SW 7246 3021 2249
I agree. Bigger toons like DK (the only big body that you get to start off with) are better for new comers because they allow them to continue to play the game longer after making a mistake. The big rewards from landing hits, and the forgiveness for getting hit makes the fatties a great starting point for new players.

This style of play starts to cease being effective once you play against more skilled opponents that are more likely to exploit the laggy moves of the big boys, and as you said, they should have learned enough of the game to either pick a character that tests their new boundaries, or adopt some new technologies into their playstyle and learn to balance out the weaknesses of the tanks, and learning the matchups.

tl;dr I agree, but you don’t HAVE to move off of DK if you like him. You can overcome his shortcomings with practice.

Top Bottom