• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong getting worse?

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
Maybe this isn't a good topic under project m but every time I play a new smash or play a new pm update it feels like D.K. gets worse and worse. It is just me or does he need to be taken seriously again?

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Well to DK's defense in the 3.5 patch there were very few characters who did not get nerfed. I play DK in all games and DK isn't the best in all the smash games, but I wouldn't neccesarily say he keeps getting worse and worse to now where he's at a level where he shouldn't be taken seriously. DK is actually a scary character in Project M, especially depending on the matchup. DK has a top tier punish game thanks to his speed, raw kill power and grab set ups and against characters like fast fallers and semi fast fallers one grab could mean death. A great example would be Poob or Strongbad's DK, who generally make one grab lead to at least 50-60% or even death. Also I don't feel like a lot of the changes in Smash 4 made him a significantly worse character, but I would say Brawl DK was the best incarnation of DK in an official smash game. The rest is up for opinion, but I feel like DK should never be taken as a joke no matter which game you are playing.

Last edited:

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
I have never taken D.K as a joke and I use to main him in melee but he doesn't feel that powerful in pm or smash 4, maybe its because I haven't played against a good one who actually knows what they are doing

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
In Project M DK is actually a very good counterpick character because of his raw strength, grab game and combo ability. In smash 4 to some degrees I can agree with you his power did get nerfed but I still feel like that's just with the game. Here is a combo Poob landed on a Diddy in Project M that shows his natural combo ability on semi-fast fallers. Starting from one grab at 8% he combo'd him to death.

Last edited:

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
I've never since a DK like this before and makes me want to main DK again

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
I've never since a DK like this before and makes me want to main DK again
That's awesome, he's a really fun character. I would definitely suggest maining him again. I'd definitely go to the 3.5 Top Player & Video Thread to check out some other matches of great Project M DK play just to get you accustomed to all the potential DK has in this game. Also I'd defintely suggest reading both Strongbad's DK guide that's stickied along with Poob's Donkey Kollege PM DK guide. They are both very insightful and would be very helpful in the development of your game, as they both go over in depth combo game and neutral.

Last edited:

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the info, haven't really had a main in project m because I can use anyone but I will definitely pick DK as a main for project m

call2brawl7000

Smash Rookie
Here is a combo Poob landed on a Diddy in Project M that shows his natural combo ability on semi-fast fallers. Starting from one grab at 8% he combo'd him to death.

Daddy ape Poob coming in to teach that poor Diddy a lesson

Last edited:
Top Bottom