• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong General Discussion

selkies

Smash Rookie
He's the first member of the DK crew!

I noticed that there isn't a general discussion thread here, so, here's one! Use this thread to talk about anything Donkey Kong, ask questions, post videos, make amazing ape and monkey puns, whatever.

Edit: Upon further investigation, I was completely wrong and there already was a general discussion. ****. It is almost two years old, though.

Last edited:

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
Green DK = Shrek.

Shrek is Drek

Whenever you spike someone on Distant Planet say "Get out of my swamp"

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
I started playing DK purely bdcause I like him in Smash 4. He feels fairly similar in PM, but I think it would be great if PMDT took some inspiration from DK's moves there, such as aerial down b.

PM DK is great though! However he's the first grab heavy character I've played. Going through all the cast to get used to multigrab timing is a little tough

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Ok, guys. I have one question and one question only. Why the hell can't Donkey Kong B-Reverse and Wavebounce Giant Punch's charge? Lucario can do it with his Aura Sphere, Samus can do it with her Charge Shot, hell even Rob can do it with his Gyros. So what gives? It's not even like it'd break him as a character or anything, I can't see any reason this shouldn't be in the game.

Brass Monkey

Smash Rookie
I'm fairly certain he can B-reverse giant punch charge if by B-reverse you mean use it to turn around in the air. Simply tap the direction opposite of where your facing, release the control stick, and then tap B. Make sure that there is ample time between releasing the control stick and tapping B, but not more than about a second. As far as wavebouncing goes, no idea.

Brass Monkey

Smash Rookie
And that is what i typed. I use it all the time to turn around when I'm sent high up into a corner and then come down with B-air.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
And that is what i typed. I use it all the time to turn around when I'm sent high up into a corner and then come down with B-air.
No, simply turning around in the air is called a turnaround B. A B-Reverse allows you to shift all of your characters momentum into the opposite direction as well as turn around. Here is a thread detailing the differences between the three.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
That's not what you described. You described a standard turnaround B. A b reversal is when you input the b move and then hit the control stick in the opposite direction within the first 3 frames after inputting the move. A wavebounce is essentially b reversing a b turnaround. It's not very hard once you practice it. To get back to QuickLava's point, I am not sure why DK can't b reverse his charge, but it would be super helpful. It is annoying that other characters with similar moves can do that, but DK can't.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
That's not what you described. You described a standard turnaround B. A b reversal is when you input the b move and then hit the control stick in the opposite direction within the first 3 frames after inputting the move. A wavebounce is essentially b reversing a b turnaround. It's not very hard once you practice it. To get back to QuickLava's point, I am not sure why DK can't b reverse his charge, but it would be super helpful. It is annoying that other characters with similar moves can do that, but DK can't.
It's especially annoying because of how much use DK could get out of it. Aside from Lucario, the other characters that can B-Rev/Wavebounce charge moves get practically 0 use out of it because they have to wait a while before they can cancel their initial charging animation. Lucario gets use out of it because when you combine it with ASC you get an offensive monster, (Jab -> Jab -> Jab -> U-Tilt -> ASC -> U-Tilit -> ASC -> SHFFL Fair -> SHFFL Fair -> RAR Bair -> B-Rev ASC -> F-Air -> RAR Bair -> Turnaround B ASC -> Side B is a legit 0-Death string on fatties) and that's a character that doesn't even really need it that much. DK is definitely on the lower half of the teir list, he could actually benefit from some new tools.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
I agree, giving dk that feature would make sense since iirc it's the only neutral b charge move that can't

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I found a bug with DK in 3.6.

Unlike some other, less deserving characters, someone forgot to make Donkey Kong's side tuant loopable. A tragic oversight, but it's what these beta releases are for.
Really now DK Crew your GD hasn't seen life in a month, you poor apes.

Top Bottom