• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong Country general discussion(?)

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Does anyone here dig the Donkey Kong Country series?

Me, I'm a huge fan. In fact, Donkey Kong Country is my all-time favorite video game series, Nintendo or otherwise. I love its rustic look, chill and moody soundtrack, and all the unnecessary little touches that Rare and Retro put into the games to really pull you into their world (like the fluttering butterflies and day-to-night transition in the original Jungle Hijinx). In my opinion, Tropical Freeze is the best in the series, followed very closely by DKC2.

A lot of people like to hate on this series, which is always disheartening to me. Metroid Prime fans threw a huge fit when Retro Studios announced they were making "another damn Donkey Kong game" (quoth Kotaku), and of course, it didn't get any new playable fighters in Smash For. But I think anyone who's spent a decent amount of time with these games knows that they're incredibly fun and well designed--far from mere Mario clones.

Anyone else wanna shoot the breeze about Nintendo's hairiest heroes? :dk2::diddy:

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
It's a series I've loved for a very long time. It breaks my heart they won't be K.Rool in smash. He would have an awesome stage, his themes are all amazing, and he would rep the original DKC series in all it'd gloryness! The DKCR is one of the best reboots Nintendo has done in quite sometime. I haven't got to play Tropical Freeze yet but I will evenually. If they make a third one I hope K. Rool finally becomes the final boss. PLEASE!

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
DKC3 is my favorite. Most outspoken individuals do not view it very highly usually because they hate Kiddy Kong for some reason, dislike the change in art style or expected the soundtrack to be as emotionally awe-inspiring as DKC2.

Disregarding aesthetics, it's difficult to argue that the level design of the previous games is better than DKC3.

I'm still blown away by how good it looks for an SNES game.

At the moment I'm enjoying Tropical Freeze, pretty damn difficult too. It lacks the charm of the original trilogy, but that's probably due to nostalgia more than anything. If I had to criticize anything it would be how scripted and robotic the world progression is now, it was more organic back in the day and a bit of a mystery where you would end up next.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I love the DKC series too. I've beaten DKC, DKC2 and DKCR. Never got around completing DKC3, but I don't hate Kiddy Kong.

Personal favourite is DKC2, largely because of the soundtrack, and the comparatively darker tone of the game compared to rest of the series. I liked Returns particularly because of the Two player option, which I could play with my brother.

Haven't played Tropical Freeze as I don't have a Wii U... but I've listened to TF's soundtrack.... David Wise is back in full force. It's a worthy rival to DKC2.

the8thark

Smash Lord
DKC2 is my favourite game of the DK ones.
I will say DK64 I really liked that too. But that's all Rare and they don't exist anymore (as they did back in the old days)

The game I think is the worst?
Donkey Kong Junior. I think that game is just terrible in all ways.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I grew up watching my brother play the DKC games, but I don't think I've ever tried them out myself until the early 2000's. I distinctly remember playing DK64 myself, but I never beat it because of how difficult the DK Arcade game was.

My favorite game in the series, however, is Donkey Kong Country Returns. I consider Retro to be the definitive successor to Rare, so when I saw the confirmation of a Jungle Hijinks stage in the Wii U version, I literally squealed in delight!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Retro is definitely Rare's successor, as far as I'm concerned. I think Tropical Freeze actually tops all three of Rare's efforts, actually, but just barely. I don't think their games lack the magic and/or spirit of the original, as some fans claim. Yeah, I miss King K. Rool and the Kremlings as much as the next guy, and I hope they come back in Retro's third DKC, but the Tikis and especially the Snowmads are a charming pack of buggers in their own right.

On a related note, Jungle Hijinxs is definitely the best Smash stage Donkey Kong has ever had. I can't get enough of it. It's too bad most of its music is lame remixes of the main theme. And it kind of bugs me that the leaf platforms on the left and right are suspended in midair. "Video game-isms" like floating platforms is something DKC abandoned after its first game.

Oh, and I don't hate Kiddy Kong at all! The only Kong I don't quite like is Tiny.

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
Am I the only one who absolutely loves the upright bass in the Kongo Jungle theme in Smash?

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
So far I've played all the way through DC3 GBA and Returns 3DS. Both games were challenging and captivated me until the end. I currently have Tropical Freeze but I need some time before I can get my Wii U.

@ Planet Cool Planet Cool The only thing I feel they're really missing are the animal buddies other than Rambi. Tropical Freeze already gave us plenty of the Kongs back and brought the music back up to standard.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I think Retro feels that Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky fulfill the roles that the animal buddies had in previous games, Cranky in particular being an obvious analogue for Winky or Rattly. They're much more utilitarian in terms of game design, whereas Rare would shove characters wherever they'd fit (not that I'm complaining about that; it's one of the many charming eccentricities that helped them stand out). However, they made Rambi more badass than ever, and Squawks's new role as the "item finder" ironically makes him a more prominent character, since you can now see him in every single level. The only one that really needs to come back in his original state is Enguarde.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really don't like how Retro has made the other Kongs outside of DK nothing but mere "powerups" for DK to use and abuse. It really undermines the roles of especially Diddy, but also Dixie. They used to have their own titles... Now they are basically Fire Flower - status. I really would like to be able to play as Diddy alone, especially since playing as DK has 0 advantages, while he arguebly has already the worst in the original triology for the same reasons : no distinct useful abilities. But in DKC1 he at least could kill enemies that Diddy couldn't...

D

Deleted member

I was wondering, can we consider DK64, Jungle Beat, King of Swing and Jungle Climber as part of the "Country" side of the DK franchise as well ?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't count them as such. Even though Jungle Climber was for me personally what came closest to a DKC4, and I feel it should get more love. Especially feel a lack of love for the game in the K.Rool thread, even though it was K.Rool's last role as a villain in the DK series. Opinions aside, I guess we could still talk about DK64, King of Swing and Jungle Climber here. Just leave the Mario vs Donkey Kong series out of here please.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Ah yes, here it is. My favorite franchise in all of gaming. Nothing else even comes close. I'm still praying that a third game in Retro's DKC trilogy is announced at E3, featuring the return of King K. Rool and other members of the Kong family. Would be glorious.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Retro is working on two projects at once, so I read in the K.Rool thread. Could very well mean that it's DKCR3 they are working on.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
DKC2 is easily my favorite game in the series. One of the main things I liked about it was the music. Especially this track:

Talking about DKC3, it's my least favorite DKC game, but it isn't bad. Too bad Kiddy Kong ruined the whole game for me because of his awful crying (just like another certain baby from another SNES game). The soundtrack was a step down from DKC2, but it did have some decent tracks. I always thought the GBA soundtrack was better.

Another DK game I like pretty good is DK64, but I always thought it was a chore to play through because you're constantly switching characters in order to get certain bananas. Good game, but it could've been better.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DKC3 was a great game in it's own merrits, and would've absolutely loved a DKC4 on SNES with the same interactive map as DKC3 had. Seriously, what DKC3 lacked in the music and character department, it made up for it with it's interactive map and how much secrets there where to explore.

Sure, nothing compares to DKC2, as I still hail it as Best Game Evahhhr and forever will do so. This is easily the game I want my son to grow up with playing.

But I do not think DKC3 gets enough love. I prefer DKC1 above it to because of it's overall style and representation (best in the series I think, even counting the Returns games!) and of course, the characters. But DKC1 vs DKC3 is close to me, because DKC1 is so simplistic (not in a bad way) and DKC3 is much more deep. I guess that's also part of the amazing charm of the triology... All three games are so different in their own way. I hardly get this same feeling with any other gaming series.

MrMustard21

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jarret91
3DS FC
0791-3640-8841
I remember having the promotional VHS tape when I was little along with the Donkey Kong Country movie. (Honestly I can't tell you my opinion about the movie since it's been awhile. But I love the promotional vhs) It was so awesome to see behind the scenes footage and learning a few tips within the game. Although I already owned the first one it was still a treat to watch from time to time again.

The first one and Diddy's Kong Quest are among my favorites games of all time. Just the sheer size and scope that each one had to offer in terms of level design, fantastic and challenging platforming, not too mention the awesome music that follows. It's hard to really list off what's my favorite track because there's just so many tunes. Of course not everything was good. Okay to say this is a flaw is kind of absurd. I mean it doesn't really detract from the game but I despised Toxic Towers. Rushing stages always didn't set well with me because one little slip up would kill you. The amount of rage along with the later Bramble stages was truly great. But I pushed forward (eventually).

I loved the cart levels especially in the theme park stages. Then again I'm sucker for amusement parks in general.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
Played DKC Returns on the Wii last year, first time I've ever really invested myself in a Donkey Kong game... and holy crap was it good! Aside from the usual annoying Wii nonsense like swinging the control around to roll, it was a perfect platformer in my eyes. No level felt repetetive, backgrounds are beautifully made and interesting, amazing soundtrack, interesting boss design and much more creates a truly amazing experience.

One day I will pick up Tropical Freeze when my economics allow it.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Oh, man, I'm delighted to see this series get more love from you guys. I also hope Retro is currently working on the third game of their Donkey Kong Country trilogy, especially if it brings back King K. Rool like so many of us want.

I really don't like how Retro has made the other Kongs outside of DK nothing but mere "powerups" for DK to use and abuse. It really undermines the roles of especially Diddy, but also Dixie. They used to have their own titles... Now they are basically Fire Flower - status. I really would like to be able to play as Diddy alone, especially since playing as DK has 0 advantages, while he arguebly has already the worst in the original triology for the same reasons : no distinct useful abilities. But in DKC1 he at least could kill enemies that Diddy couldn't...
I don't mind that as much as you do, but if it makes you feel any better, hard mode in Tropical Freeze lets you play as Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky by themselves. It's certainly a step up from Returns, where player one couldn't choose Diddy at all.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
DK64 multiplayer was super fun.

Camping that homing ammo tho...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't mind that as much as you do, but if it makes you feel any better, hard mode in Tropical Freeze lets you play as Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky by themselves. It's certainly a step up from Returns, where player one couldn't choose Diddy at all.
Really!? Whoa, great news! Thanks!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Your enthusiasm is contagious, Diddy Kong! You really should check out Tropical Freeze. I don't know if I'd call it my favorite game of all time, but it's certainly in my top three, right beside Ocarina of Time and Super Mario Galaxy. Definitely Donkey Kong's proudest moment to date, beating DKC2 by a hair.

(And I also like Donkey Kong 64's multiplayer. It holds up surprisingly well and has a lot of depth for a game with such a huge emphasis on single-player. Extra points for letting you play as a Krusha. I never did figure out what Battle Crowns did or what the point of Battle Arena mode was, though.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To those who played the Wii U version of DK64 :

Video's description said:
If you played this game on the original Nintendo 64, you'd remember the demo that was playing after the famous DK Rap clip, settled in Jungle Japes.

On the N64, Donkey jumped from vine to vine just after passing in front of Funky's Armory, and then do a roll before to enter into the barrel-cannon.

On the Wii U's PAL VC however, Donkey misses the vines, but still uses jumps and roll... Must be some miss on the encoding.

Is it the same for you ?

Nexus| Taka

Fraudulent Doc Main
I love the fact that I am not the only smasher that is completely in love with this series ^_^. DKC was the first game I have ever played and it is still my favorite platformer to date.

SunDolphin

Smash Rookie
DKC2 was the first game I ever beaten on my own, I have some fond memories of that game and the series as a whole. DKC2 is also the only game that I have the patience for speedrunning in. Theres something about the general mood and atmosphere that sucks me into the life of that game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
DKC 2 is the best

For some bizarre reason, even though I liked DKCR...I can't get into DKCR2

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
IMO, DK64 >DKC2 > DKC > DKC3

Loved all the DK games but 64 is my favorite by far. Funny seeing as DK64 seems to be a hit or miss title with a lot of people. Either you love it or you hate it and I happen to love the game.

As far as the DKC's are concerned DKC2 takes the cake with it's great levels and stuff though DKC isn't far behind given it's great imagery and settings which IMO is better than the other 3 DKC's. DKC3 is good as well though not as much as the other games.

D

Deleted member

I haven't played all The games but I'm a huge fan. The music, challenge, and level-design are top notch and it's one of my favourite game series probably my sixth favourite game series in fact. I adore Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool and Dixie Kong. And I was stumped King K. Rool and Dixie King didn't get added to Smash hopefully down the road. Donkey Kong Country is my favourite in the series.

I hope King K. Rool returns as the main villain in with the Kremlings as main enemies in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3. Great series I look forward to it's future.

Top Bottom