• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong Country 6: A Product of Smash Boards

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Here we are, 'hand-picked' to design the concept for the next installment in the Donkey Kong Country series for Retro Studios to work with. These are a set of platformers that have been under 'droughts' as of late, in terms of production, but the next chapter is finally about to begin!

One, I am not a seasoned hand with this sort of activity, so my planning can only be of limited range, and there may be many considerations I have failed to think of. Two, I have never been the most up-to-date with entertainment news, so we shall keep the politics and legal discussions to a minimum, focusing on the game itself, and bringing those issues to light only in places obvious and critical to the progress of the thread.Three, I am experimenting with an 'Author Calendar System' (A.C.S.). According to this, any person may declare themselves an 'author.' after this happens, no task closes until every author has made input. The tasks are carefully recorded and placed into 'zones,' and any author may work on a future subset called the 'advance tasks' in the current zone, provided they have either worked on all the 'serial' tasks in the zone, or have stated which of the serial tasks they will not be making input for, indicating validity of the assumption that they will first work on the serial tasks that they have not explicitly said they will not work on. For simplicity, tasks only are given deadlines (with notice) at the beginning, where there are less than three authors, and when the failure of a comrade or comrades to input on those tasks interferes with the current task-- a situation that could be avoided with the right timing of task display on my part. Non-authors may contribute, and there is no difference between authors and non-authors, save that they do not affect the closure of a task. By this system, it is hoped that no one is held up, and that no one is left out. Four, I shall update the original post to include authors, current and old tasks (struck through when closed), and zones soon to come.

The intention is for this thread to move between tasks slowly to allow people as much time as necessary to think of ideas for current tasks, yet enable other contributors to move on if they so desire. Again, it is experimental; A.C.S may not remain the system of choice if it turns out to be ineffective.

Zone 2: Setting/Theme - This will be where aesthetics for the title screen, menus, and displays will be decided; and where the themes that guide future design will be determined.

Zone 3: Story/ Title/Kongs and... Kremlings?- Here, the characters, both good and bad, will be added to the game. It is in this Zone that old and new friends will be nominated to appear as playable/non-playable hero/villain characters. Also, the name of the game and a plot synopsis can be determined. Perhaps most notably, this is where we shall have the opportunity to brainstorm new characters to debut in Donkey Kong Country 6!

(As awkward as this is, Doc Monocle Doc Monocle , consider me an author! Once we have three authors, A.C.S. will become active.)

The first couple of zones will have few tasks to keep the beginning as clean as possible, and zone 1 is merely to show format of task display, as there is only one task. We may return to the included topics in the future for greater detailing. I am trying to select tasks such that minimal hinderance is experienced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Zone 1: First Zone --------------------------------------------------------------------

Task 1 (Gameplay):

Donkey Kong Country is a series of platformers, so as much is given that the new game will be a platformer, but what type of platformer will it be? Is it two/three-dimensional (though I might predict the most predominant answer to this one)? Is it open-world? Is it linear?... These questions and more should be considered. How would you summarize the gameplay? What mechanical differences and similarities are there between Donkey Kong Country 6 and previous titles? Should it be traditional to appeal to more conservative gamers, or should it be a completely revolutionary take on the Country series?... (IF THERE IS AT LEAST ONE PROPOSAL MADE, THEN TASK 1 CLOSES THE DAY AFTER. Proposals made before the task is struck through here will be accepted though.)
There are no advance tasks at this time

Top Bottom