• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Donkey Kong Competitive and Metagame Discussion

Proto_DLN000

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3780-9118-8900
Anyone have solid MU strategies against bayonetta? My goodness, if she gets you in the air it is lights out.
NEVER challenge her in the air. As much as I hate it, you have to play very very defensively in this matchup as one of our main approach options is a one way ticket to death. Never do anything unsafe. We're too bit too afford getting hit by most of her moves.

The key to beating bayonetta is much like beating a Shiek, you just cant really afford to take a hit as much. You want your few solid punishes and secure early deaths. Thankfully, thanks to bayo's tall frame and fall speed, she has a rather large window for cargo utoss uair to kill. That's the most advice I can think of, just from my minute experience, but if you play as safe as you can, the matchup isnt absolutely awful, you just need to play it near perfect.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
For what it's worth, DK can do a Triple Jump too using his aerial down-special https://smashboards.com/posts/21603989/
Unfortunately you're like a frame off being able to potentially do it indefinitely, as inputting another down-special on the frame following the TJ will just barely not be quick enough.

I don't think there's any use for this with DK tbh, but he is one of the very few characters that can do it at all, so there you go.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
For what it's worth, DK can do a Triple Jump too using his aerial down-special https://smashboards.com/posts/21603989/
Unfortunately you're like a frame off being able to potentially do it indefinitely, as inputting another down-special on the frame following the TJ will just barely not be quick enough.

I don't think there's any use for this with DK tbh, but he is one of the very few characters that can do it at all, so there you go.
Nice find. It's a shame it is both impractical and not as cool as the some of the triple jump shenanigans that existed in Brawl. Ganon's super jump in particular was a really fun gimmick (and an epic taunt between stocks).

Spatman

Smash Ace
Hi fellow kongs! I'm a Diddy player.
in a couple of weeks I'll play in a 2v2 tournament in team with a R.O.B./DK player. He would play DK. What kind of combos and in general the right way to make this team run would you guys suggest?

moreover, there are some vods of 2v2 tournaments with a Diddy-DK team I could see?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Hi fellow kongs! I'm a Diddy player.
in a couple of weeks I'll play in a 2v2 tournament in team with a R.O.B./DK player. He would play DK. What kind of combos and in general the right way to make this team run would you guys suggest?

moreover, there are some vods of 2v2 tournaments with a Diddy-DK team I could see?
A cool thing your friend can do is Cargo Hold someone and walk in front of a banana and just let them grab release into it. As far as general stuff, I think it's best for DK to be played as an opportunistic stock tank. If he just goes ham, he's just gonna get hit by everything and take like 70% in 4 seconds. I'd stick to Bair spacing, grabs, and charging punch if Diddy doesn't need help right away. Doubles is too chaotic to try and space with his somewhat laggy tilts.

Last edited:

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
Hi!

I've been having some trouble with the Bowser MU lately. He seems to have all the same tools that DK has but with better kill power, armor and even (I believe) a bigger window for his up throw-up air kill confirm to work.

I've been trying keeping him in the air and juggle him and trying to catch his landings, and besides that just basic trades. The thing is I almost never manage to get a Ding Dong and then killing him is downright difficult.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Hi!

I've been having some trouble with the Bowser MU lately. He seems to have all the same tools that DK has but with better kill power, armor and even (I believe) a bigger window for his up throw-up air kill confirm to work.

I've been trying keeping him in the air and juggle him and trying to catch his landings, and besides that just basic trades. The thing is I almost never manage to get a Ding Dong and then killing him is downright difficult.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I think against Bowser in particular, you really just want to play as safe as possible. He is one of the few characters that will consistently KO you earlier than you can KO him. What you should do is stay mobile and really abuse Bair in this MU. Keeping him in the air and offstage is your ticket to win. He has to commit to do anything aside from Jab, so you have to play in a way that forces him to make reads to get results. I would also go for 9 wind punishes in this MU since a lot of his reads are extremely unsafe/laggy.

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
I think against Bowser in particular, you really just want to play as safe as possible. He is one of the few characters that will consistently KO you earlier than you can KO him. What you should do is stay mobile and really abuse Bair in this MU. Keeping him in the air and offstage is your ticket to win. He has to commit to do anything aside from Jab, so you have to play in a way that forces him to make reads to get results. I would also go for 9 wind punishes in this MU since a lot of his reads are extremely unsafe/laggy.
Thanks for reminding me of the 9 wind punishes, I really only used the full charged Punch lol

Will ty it out along with the other general advice, thanks dude

Top Bottom