• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don’t know much about Kirby lore, but could there be an actual reason Kirby can’t copy the Keyblade?

Reksew_Trebla

Smash Cadet
So my understanding so far is that Kirby copies the powers of what he absorbs, but I don’t think he absorbs souls. No matter how you look at it, absorbing souls is evil, but Kirby isn’t evil.

Why does this matter? It’s rather simple. While I am not familiar with every character in Smash (I know nothing about Xenoblade other than what gets referenced in fan comics, and same with Fire Emblem), what I have gathered, is that the weapons Kirby copies, that are being brought up in reference to Kirby wielding the Keyblade, are restricted by bloodline. Wouldn't Kirby get the power of the bloodline by absorbing the body? However, the Keyblade is tied to the heart, not the body, and hearts in Kingdom Hearts are basically souls.

Now you might try to bring up Roxas or Xion,
but let me direct you to Xemnas. He no longer had a Keyblade. As for Roxas and Xion, they were uniquely borrowing the power of Sora's heart, due to Sora paradoxically existing at the same time as Roxas, and Xion was linked to Roxas.

So this is why I think Kirby couldn't copy the Keyblade.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
kirby doesnt absorb souls. where on pop star did you get that from? he mimics powers he doesnt acquire them. a tempory coping of sora's magic would in no way allow him to get the keyblade. also xemnas chose not to use his keyblade

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Or maybe it’s because of something called the Copyright. Perhaps there was issues with the Kirby, Nintendo, Square-Enix, and Disney copyrights. Also, moving this to Sora discussion.

Reksew_Trebla

Smash Cadet
kirby doesnt absorb souls.
That was literally the whole point of my post. That Kirby doesn’t absorb souls, thus wouldn’t get the powers of the Keyblade.

Also, moving this to Sora discussion.
Oh. I thought it was appropriate here because it is about both Kirby and Kingdom Hearts (and also to a degree, Fire Emblem) lore, not just KH lore. Guess I was wrong. My bad.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That was literally the whole point of my post. That Kirby doesn’t absorb souls, thus wouldn’t get the powers of the Keyblade.
thats not how they get keyblades in KH either. why are you going on about absorbing souls, its not a thing in either series.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
thats not how they get keyblades in KH either. why are you going on about absorbing souls, its not a thing in either series.
TBF, please no spoilers, but I am playing through KH for the first time (I am finishing Chains of Memory) and "the heart" is basically like the soul the way they treat it in the series. I know it's a fantasy game with it's own lore and it doesn't need to correlate to our definitions of concepts, but they are kinda similar.

Again, if I am super wrong because of something that happens in another game that isn't KH 1 or Chains of Memory, please don't tell me yet, I'll get to it eventually.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
TBF, please no spoilers, but I am playing through KH for the first time (I am finishing Chains of Memory) and "the heart" is basically like the soul the way they treat it in the series. I know it's a fantasy game with it's own lore and it doesn't need to correlate to our definitions of concepts, but they are kinda similar.

Again, if I am super wrong because of something that happens in another game that isn't KH 1 or Chains of Memory, please don't tell me yet, I'll get to it eventually.
make sure you read the secret reports in each game

and you’ll learn the series treats heart and soul as different things

Reksew_Trebla

Smash Cadet
I’m convinced you aren’t actually reading my posts. I never said they absorb souls in KH. I said that Kirby can’t get a Keyblade by absorbing the body of a Keyblade wielder, because that power is tied to the heart (which is a soul in KH), not body.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’m convinced you aren’t actually reading my posts. I never said they absorb souls in KH. I said that Kirby can’t get a Keyblade by absorbing the body of a Keyblade wielder, because that power is tied to the heart (which is a soul in KH), not body.
you start off saying “I don’t think he absorbs souls” in reference to Kirby. You’re trying to explain something that doesn’t need explaining

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
make sure you read the secret reports in each game
I am not going to open the spoilers tag, but what are the secret reports? I have not done any endgame stuff since I am trying to play all the games and there's a lot of them. I will probably do the endgame for KH 1 once I finish all the other games though, the game was really fun.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I like to think it's simply because Kirby isnt worthy of using one. Like he can be a pretty petty asshole a lot in his games, defeating people who arent doing anything to him because his food got stolen lol That's not a pure of heart person at all.

I am not going to open the spoilers tag, but what are the secret reports? I have not done any endgame stuff since I am trying to play all the games and there's a lot of them. I will probably do the endgame for KH 1 once I finish all the other games though, the game was really fun.
Secret reports explain background lore towards the events of the game your currently playing.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I like to think it's simply because Kirby isnt worthy of using one. Like he can be a pretty petty asshole a lot in his games, defeating people who arent doing anything to him because his food got stolen lol That's not a pure of heart person at all.

Secret reports explain background lore towards the events of the game your currently playing.
Where do you access these?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah like that ever mattered

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Note that Kingdom Hearts' magic doesn't actually require a Keyblade, just the ability to cast magic and a conduit of some kind - for instance, even when Sora's keyblade is temporarily unavailable during KH1, he can still cast magic while wielding the wooden sword, and if I recall, Roxas can also cast magic when wielding the stick in Beast's Castle in Days.

So Kirby, in swallowing Sora, just sort of manifests his own conduit loosely shaped like a Keyblade, made out of star power - which as Kirby of the Stars actually makes perfect thematic sense.

But the actual reason is because only Sora's allowed to have a Mickey emblem on his weapon, no pink puffballs are allowed to touch the holy symbol of the Mouse unless they're being beaten over the head with it.

Last edited:

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
The simple answer is copyright. Either Disney does not want another fighter using the Keyblade in Smash or Nintendo does not want to deal with the issue of a character they own using the visual and physical items of another character that they don't own.

Well, Kirby has no problem wearing Terry's Fatal Fury hat, or carrying around other swords including Cloud's Buster Sword.

So, I am willing to bet the answer comes down to Disney not wanting anyone else, even Kirby to use a Keyblade.

With that said, Kirby still gets to use Sora's magic since those spells and their names are not owned by Disney. All of Sora's spells first appeared in Final Fantasy games as the third level of elemental spells.

Sora is a massive and confusing character full of copyright issues.

Top Bottom