• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

Nintendaholic

Smash Rookie
In battery options on your computer. If it's on power saver your cpu will be throttled and it will run like crap.
Hmmm. Did not do anything to help. I don't get it because it's a gaming laptop. I know that doesn't mean it's good for emulators but my old crappy pc ran it better than this.

Y-L

Smash Champion

Nintendaholic

Smash Rookie
Processor
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4720HQ Processor (2.60GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Operating system
Windows 8.1 64
Display
15.6'' UHD LED Glossy Multitouch Backlit (3840x2160)
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB
Memory
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Hard Drive
Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Processor
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4720HQ Processor (2.60GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Operating system
Windows 8.1 64
Display
15.6'' UHD LED Glossy Multitouch Backlit (3840x2160)
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB
Memory
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Hard Drive
Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
That seems like it would work splendedly... Did you try switching the graphics backend?

Heavy Gomez

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyGomer
well this is strange, when using 6554 if I try to press alt+enter to make it fullscreen, it'll go fullscreen for a split second and then kick itself back to windowed, if I set it to be fullscreen in the config then the opposite happens, I press alt+enter and it makes it windowed for a split second. This is with opengl.

if I use direct3d then my screen just goes black for a few seconds and the audio sputters, then it kicks itself back to windowed.

Enz0wn

Smash Rookie
How can you set Netplay to handle 3 players when 2 players are on the same PC? I wanted 2 players to play while the 3rd person observes and take turns playing. Is this possible? I've tried putting the 2nd controller into port 3 but no dice, I can't get netplay to recognize the 2nd person on this PC.

Y-L

Smash Champion
How can you set Netplay to handle 3 players when 2 players are on the same PC? I wanted 2 players to play while the 3rd person observes and take turns playing. Is this possible? I've tried putting the 2nd controller into port 3 but no dice, I can't get netplay to recognize the 2nd person on this PC.
Yes it's easy. In the Netplay window the host has to put your name in twice under configure pads before you start the game.

Lichi

This is my war snarl

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
Link does not work for me, but is one of the 630 series with a dedicated graphics solution or it just an integrated CPU chip? For the latter, chances are very slim, as it would just not have been made for gaming at all.
I think it's just a standerd intel HD graphics chip...
also the microprocessor is Intel Core i3-2310M (2.10 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache) which probably isn't good enough right?

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I think it's just a standerd intel HD graphics chip...
also the microprocessor is Intel Core i3-2310M (2.10 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache) which probably isn't good enough right?
I think CPU wise it's okay, but the built in Intel HD 3000 chip is the very bottom end of what Dolphin FAQ lists as playable, and not for every game. You can just give it a try.

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
I think CPU wise it's okay, but the built in Intel HD 3000 chip is the very bottom end of what Dolphin FAQ lists as playable, and not for every game. You can just give it a try.
okay thanks, I don't have the pc but I can get it for 60 euros which is pretty cheap so idk

also would an Acer aspire E15 be good enough? I would imagine it being better than the hp although I'm not sure because the CPU is from the U series...
specs:
  • CPU: 1.9GHz Intel Core i3-4030U (3MB cache)
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4400
  • RAM: 4GB DDR3L RAM

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
okay thanks, I don't have the pc but I can get it for 60 euros which is pretty cheap so idk

also would an Acer aspire E15 be good enough? I would imagine it being better than the hp.
specs:
  • CPU: 1.9GHz Intel Core i3-4030U (3MB cache)
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4400
  • RAM: 4GB DDR3L RAM
With this you just exchange a little bit of CPU power for a little bit of GPU power. You should aim for something with a dedicated graphics card, if you ask me. You want to run Melee at 60 frames per second, and I am not sure the Intel HD chips can do that. Have a look at this site and decide for yourself.

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
With this you just exchange a little bit of CPU power for a little bit of GPU power. You should aim for something with a dedicated graphics card, if you ask me. You want to run Melee at 60 frames per second, and I am not sure the Intel HD chips can do that. Have a look at this site and decide for yourself.
thanks for all the help, so far I don't think either of the laptops are good but how about this one? everything seems good but I'm not too sure about the CPU

CPU: Intel Core i5 2520m 2,50GHz
graphic card: AMD radion HD 7400

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
So would this CPU be good enough?
  • CPU
    Intel Core i5 (2nd Gen) 2520M / 2.5 GHz

And this graphic card

Sorry for the double post but I need an answer quickly

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
thanks for all the help, so far I don't think either of the laptops are good but how about this one? everything seems good but I'm not too sure about the CPU

CPU: Intel Core i5 2520m 2,50GHz
The CPU is fine, but that AMD Radeon is the very bottom end of what they produce. Is there a special reason you insist on getting a laptop? Laptops are no gaming machines, especially not if you want to spend little money.

can someone give me a name of a cheap pc desktop i could buy to play melee online 60fps.
You'll have to specify what 'cheap' is to you and then I can point you in the direction of a pre-built PC. Is that PC intended to play Melee only?

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
The CPU is fine, but that AMD Radeon is the very bottom end of what they produce. Is there a special reason you insist on getting a laptop? Laptops are no gaming machines, especially not if you want to spend little money.
a laptop is just a lot more practical for me.
Will the AMD Radeon work for melee? Cause dolphin said most AMD's will work

Lichi

This is my war snarl
a laptop is just a lot more practical for me.
Will the AMD Radeon work for melee? Cause dolphin said most AMD's will work
Yeah most AMD - as in from a certain point up. The FAQ says the HD 5770 will handle MOST games in HD. Everything better will have no problem. Your card is WAY worse.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7450M-vs-Radeon-HD-5770

More practical yeah, but if you want portability and a low price point, you should not bother yourself with gaming on that machine.

Last edited:

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
Yeah most AMD - as in from a certain point up. The FAQ says the HD 5770 will handle MOST games in HD. Everything better will have no problem. Your card is WAY worse.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7450M-vs-Radeon-HD-5770

More practical yeah, but if you want portability and a low price point, you should not bother yourself with gaming on that machine.
oh so I probably won't be able to play melee with it then? :/

Lichi

This is my war snarl
oh so I probably won't be able to play melee with it then? :/
Yes, with a cheap laptop that runs aged hardware which was never meant for gaming anyway you will probably not be able to emulate a GCN game at 60fps.

Y-L

Smash Champion
alright thanks for your help
That laptop probably won't be strong enough. You're going to need at least a 3rd or 4th gen i3/i7 processor (you don't want one with a u at the end because those are ultra low power). For the cheapest price, your best bet is to build a desktop.

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
That laptop probably won't be strong enough. You're going to need at least a 3rd or 4th gen i3/i7 processor (you don't want one with a u at the end because those are ultra low power). For the cheapest price, your best bet is to build a desktop.
what would the cheapest price be then?

Finch

Smash Lord
So ever since I had to reset the traversal settings I get weird lag spikes where the ping of either me or my opponent (depending on who hosts) will be fine the spike up to like 500 then go back down, and dolphin won't run at 60fps no matter how high I set the buffer. When this happens I do a speed test and I get my normal 50-70 up ~11 down. Do you know what could be causing this or anything I could do that might help? This didn't happen until a few weeks ago. I also bought a new router in that time but my computer is plugged in to an ethernet cable that goes through the router so I'm not sure if that could be the issue.

Most of the time everything is fine but it happens randomly and is frustrating.

Last edited:

NocabEvoli

Smash Rookie
Alright, I'm stumped.

First of all, let me just say that Netplay used to work well with both Melee and PM; never had an issue with any edition of Dolphin (current one being 6554). Suddenly, and I really mean suddenly (in a span from one game to the next), I can't connect to others (Failed to Connect). Initially, I couldn't host AND connect, but now I can host but CAN'T connect.

I've gone through the guides, port forwarded, checked with firewall, tried traversal and direct connections--doing every logical thing that may account for this sudden connection issue. So far, I haven't fixed it. I'm hoping that someone could perhaps give me ideas on what to do/what did I miss and point me in the right direction.

In addition, I have a friend who has a similar problem. Hopefully, with my fix I'll be able to help him as well. Here's to hoping.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I seem to be stumped as well.

So I followed the guide, try it and it doesn't run all that well. I assume the computer was the issue but it sounds like people are running this on computers that aren't-all-that-great so it has me wondering. It will claim I have 0 lag frames, and doesn't waver from 60 fps, yet I can visibly see it go through little spurts where it's obviously not at full capacity. It's not terrible, it seems to happen when attacks connect. I've messed with settings and it doesn't really seem to help.

This is an older computer, so perhaps that IS the problem.
I'm running an AMD phenom II, a GeForce GTX 460 with 4 GB of RAM.

Anyone know if there's anything I can do?

BluQTips

Smash Rookie
Quick question,

I downloaded and installed dolphin 5886 and 652. Followed all of the instructions and I can use my WiiU Adapter for the 5886, but I can't for the 652. Also, I can host netplay on the 652, but not on the 5886. Does the 652 just not support the wiiU adapter right now, and the 5886 not ready for online play?

Edit:
Nvm figured it out. Smashladder has a pretty good guide.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
So I got Dolphin a little bit ago and I have a few problems.

Problem number one is input lag. It's not as bad as playing on an HDTV, but it's not quite a CRT either. I'm using a Mayflash GC adapter and just running it full screen on my laptop, but I don't know what I should or can be doing to try to reduce this feeling.

Problem two is choppiness. Sometimes the game can get visually choppy and even though my inputs don't feel different than when it's not choppy it's annoying. I can't run FoD at all, 2/3 of the screen becomes purple and the game runs very very slowly. Are there any settings I can mess around with to make this better or do I just need a better graphics card?

Problem number three is Netplay. With my internet I don't seem to be able to connect to other people but at my friend's house it's fine (except he gets horrible ping). What do I look into for this?

I'm generally more of a GameCube and Melee disc and CRT kind of guy, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom