• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

Styast

Smash Rookie
My friend and i first followed this guide a few days ago, and played the best games of smash in so long. (we switched from 4.02 which desynced endlessly) Now, whenever we try to play, for some reason it just ends up lagging as soon as we press the start button from the netplay lobby. when we switch back to the netplay lobby window, in red text it says "waiting for player _____..." or something like that. We've tried deleting all the previous dolphin data and redoing it, and still nothings working.
Here are the settings we have:
http://puu.sh/fVtGX/01f3818efe.png

I know that my graphics card and cpu are both strong enough, same for my friend as well. but here's the info on them.
GPU: AMD Radeon 7790
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 Ghz (can overclock to 4.0 Ghz)

We both play at universities, is that the problem?

Last edited:

ErXtDe

Smash Rookie
My friend is trying to support 4 people but it lags badly, even on FD! is there a way to fix it? Plz help!

boktai1000

Smash Rookie
I'm assuming OP may need to update for the new build that appears to be approved? 4.0-5743

Hippobro

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1091-9752-8008
Mac user here, i got melee a couple weeks ago and it runs just fine! if you have a mac with decent hardware, i would recommend at least trying netplay to see how it is!

vynleren

Smash Cadet
I'm in a college dorm and I can't seem to connect to any of my friends using Netplay for melee. Whenever I search for their hosted game, or I host a game and they search, after hitting connect it just chills out for a while then says disconnected.

Is it just my dorm internet or is there something else we can do?

boktai1000

Smash Rookie
I'm in a college dorm and I can't seem to connect to any of my friends using Netplay for melee. Whenever I search for their hosted game, or I host a game and they search, after hitting connect it just chills out for a while then says disconnected.

There are so many possible variables it could be, my best recommendation is to try it while you're on a mobile hotspot (do you or any of your friends have a phone they can tether or setup a hotspot for a short amount of time to test?) If it works on the hotspot, its the dorms internet connection.. which is likely the culprit and you'd have to work with the IT at your dorm/college to resolve.

Adrift

Smash Rookie
Can't get the official gamecube adapter to work on 4.0-652, is it too old to support it?

SmokingPie

Smash Rookie

the same happens to me but in my case, i think are the router's ports, any solutions? :c

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
I dont know if this has been answered before but i was wondering out of curiosity. Will netplay break if you turn on Flash on L cancel and the other person doesnt have it on?

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
CeLL said it only affects pika and pichu when i asked him so i guess i can use it unless they play pika

Kramepie

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm super frustrated trying to set this up and would really love some help. I ordered a raphnet adapter and can't get it to work for the life of me. I understand on GCPad the joysticks are supposed to be highlighted but I can't seem to get that to happen. The only thing that registers is when I press down, the 'B' under threshold lights up. I already calibrated if you're wondering

Animignis

Smash Cadet
It doesn't look like the recommended version of dolphin has the "direct connect" option for the official nintendo gamecube adapter... Is there a fix for this? I'd really like to have native support.

Y-L

Smash Champion
It doesn't look like the recommended version of dolphin has the "direct connect" option for the official nintendo gamecube adapter... Is there a fix for this? I'd really like to have native support.
Native support is relatively new so it is not in the DC netplay branch of dolphin. However as of 4.0-5681 udp netplay was ported so you can use that with your partner as long as they get the same build as you. Set to traversal, set traversal to dolphin.smashladder.com and set port to 6262 when you open netplay and you should be good to go.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Native support is relatively new so it is not in the DC netplay branch of dolphin. However as of 4.0-5681 udp netplay was ported so you can use that with your partner as long as they get the same build as you. Set to traversal, set traversal to dolphin.smashladder.com and set port to 6262 when you open netplay and you should be good to go.
Change in OP to designate a new build for everyone to use then? Or does build revision doesn't matter anymore?

Kramepie

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm super frustrated trying to set this up and would really love some help. I ordered a raphnet adapter and can't get it to work for the life of me. I understand on GCPad the joysticks are supposed to be highlighted but I can't seem to get that to happen. The only thing that registers is when I press down, the 'B' under threshold lights up. I already calibrated if you're wondering
Bump.

I can get the controller to register in the calibration but still no luck with the actual emulator. I re installed Dolphin and had no luck still.

Animignis

Smash Cadet
Thanks Y-L!

Y-L

Smash Champion
Change in OP to designate a new build for everyone to use then? Or does build revision doesn't matter anymore?
The reason we haven't done this is because 4.0-652 is still the least buggy and stable netplay revision. The dev builds, although they have native support and exclusive fullscreen, lack things such as wii game syncing, Linux support, memory card syncing, player port hotswitching, and other things. Until at least wii support is added, 652 is still the standard build to use.

Bump.

I can get the controller to register in the calibration but still no luck with the actual emulator. I re installed Dolphin and had no luck still.
Can't really help you unless you supply a picture of your gc pad settings in dolphin.

Kramepie

Smash Rookie
The reason we haven't done this is because 4.0-652 is still the least buggy and stable netplay revision. The dev builds, although they have native support and exclusive fullscreen, lack things such as wii game syncing, Linux support, memory card syncing, player port hotswitching, and other things. Until at least wii support is added, 652 is still the standard build to use.

Can't really help you unless you supply a picture of your gc pad settings in dolphin.

Y-L

Smash Champion
You didn't map any of your controls. Click the gray box next to the button you want to map then press the corresponding button/stick movement. Right now all your binds are set to keyboard mappings and you have analog stick up set to B.

Also be sure to set radius on both sticks to 100, approx. 5 deadzone on analog stick 10 on c stick.

Kramepie

Smash Rookie
You didn't map any of your controls. Click the gray box next to the button you want to map then press the corresponding button/stick movement. Right now all your binds are set to keyboard mappings and you have analog stick up set to B.

Also be sure to set radius on both sticks to 100, approx. 5 deadzone on analog stick 10 on c stick.
GOOD GOD I didn't know you had to actually press the buttons on the controller. This looks like it's working. Thanks so much for the reply, I've never used an emulator before and that wasn't specified anywhere that I could find.

edit: ok it looks like it's working, thanks so much. unfortunately the analog stick isn't picking up correctly, any clue what might cause that? perhaps the modifier section? I wasn't sure what that was for

Last edited:

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
is
GOOD GOD I didn't know you had to actually press the buttons on the controller. This looks like it's working. Thanks so much for the reply, I've never used an emulator before and that wasn't specified anywhere that I could find.

edit: ok it looks like it's working, thanks so much. unfortunately the analog stick isn't picking up correctly, any clue what might cause that? perhaps the modifier section? I wasn't sure what that was for

Kramepie

Smash Rookie
is

Thanks man, I did. This is what the problem looks like. Everything else seems to work fine with no interference ...Edit: we livin boys. I got rid of the modifier and we're good to go. thanks so much for the help

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks man, I did. This is what the problem looks like. Everything else seems to work fine with no interference ...Edit: we livin boys. I got rid of the modifier and we're good to go. thanks so much for the help
Yeah make sure you removed it for both your analog stick and your c stick. Also your L/R should be a button, not an axis/slider. You want to get just the click of the L/R when you input the button, not the pushing in. Other than that you're all set.

MadeYouLook

Smash Cadet
Just wondering if there are any plans to improve the buffer system at all ?

A LOT of my games hover around the 30 MS mark but you gotta set the buffer to 3 anyway just because the ping might spike. Netplay would be so much better overall if it had a 2.5 buffer or some type of auto buffer system so I could play at 2 buffer more often because when I do get to play with 2 buffer its buttery smooth. Just a couple thoughts no idea if any of it is logistically possible or not.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm just curious but would a Desktop work for Netplay?
...? Netplay is primarily played on desktops.

Just wondering if there are any plans to improve the buffer system at all ?

A LOT of my games hover around the 30 MS mark but you gotta set the buffer to 3 anyway just because the ping might spike. Netplay would be so much better overall if it had a 2.5 buffer or some type of auto buffer system so I could play at 2 buffer more often because when I do get to play with 2 buffer its buttery smooth. Just a couple thoughts no idea if any of it is logistically possible or not.
It doesn't work that way because the game can't divide the buffer any further. Also an "auto buffer" sounds nice at first thought, but think about how annoying it would be to have a dynamic input lag as you're playing. I think most people would prefer to have consistent lag than a changing-sometimes lower lag.

MadeYouLook

Smash Cadet

It doesn't work that way because the game can't divide the buffer any further. Also an "auto buffer" sounds nice at first thought, but think about how annoying it would be to have a dynamic input lag as you're playing. I think most people would prefer to have consistent lag than a changing-sometimes lower lag.
gotcha that makes sense was just wondering thanks

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Is there a way to be able to stretch dolphins window size after i start my game? Im trying to stretch it so i can see my chat when i stream but when i try and stretch it, it just pops back to the same size it was and i do not want to fullscreen my game.

kirbyUK

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to setup the new netplay build (5743), but it won't recognise my controller. I use the Mayflash 2-port Gamecube to USB on Windows 8.1. The 'game controllers' in Windows picks up both fine, but in Dolphin neither do anything.

The options I have are 'DInput/0/USB Gamepad' and 'DInput/1/USB Gamepad' (and the keyboard). On 652 there was also 'SDL/0/USB Gamepad' and 'SDL/1/USB Gamepad', which work as expected. DInput does not work on 652 or 5743. Is there anything I can do?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm trying to setup the new netplay build (5743), but it won't recognise my controller. I use the Mayflash 2-port Gamecube to USB on Windows 8.1. The 'game controllers' in Windows picks up both fine, but in Dolphin neither do anything.

The options I have are 'DInput/0/USB Gamepad' and 'DInput/1/USB Gamepad' (and the keyboard). On 652 there was also 'SDL/0/USB Gamepad' and 'SDL/1/USB Gamepad', which work as expected. DInput does not work on 652 or 5743. Is there anything I can do?
SDL was removed due to issues. Dinput isn't working because you have to remap your controller after you switch.

Top Bottom