• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Would the "Great" build on this guide http://www.logicalincrements.com/ be able to run netplay perfectly?
I would be hesitant to use an AMD CPU for netplay. They're good for video encoding and modern multi-threaded games, but Dolphin only uses 2 cores. I would recommend an Intel i5 4670K CPU.

Also, the Dolphin devs are subtly hinting that NVidia GPUs are better for Dolphin. You should be able to get away with a GTX 650 Ti or newer.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
The NVIDIA bias will probably disappear quite a bit once the new video improvements hit Dolphin. at least, that's the trend I'm seeing from the plugin development.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I've lost the last two tournaments going to Yoshi. I'm still a Yoshi main if I pull 'im out in pressure situations!

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I updated the thread to 4.0-646, which includes a ton of enhancements including EXI sync, which allows users to use memory cards over netplay. Pretty neat, huh? Thank Comex for the amazing features added in, as well as a ton of bug fixes. I also added Project M guides and we also have a Project M chat. We're working on possibly adding support for Brawl assuming people want to use it as well.

Lagtacs IV is coming everyone! Please sign up or make a note and watch us on the Global_Melee twitch stream! It's going to be a lot of fun. This Friday we may try to setup a Project M netplay tournament to show just how much fun it can be over netplay as well. Should be a great weekend for Smashing it up. http://challonge.com/lagtacsIV

I also played the Virtual Console Smash 64 over Netplay. That was silly, but it worked. Unfortunately changes to the Wii-NAND emulation to make Brawl/Project M work better broke support for Smash 64 as of 4.0-646, so, for those people insane enough to want to use that, you can't... for now.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Does EXI sync copy the contents of the memory card over the network, the contents of the game's save file alone, or something else entirely?

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I don't know the specifics, it's one of two things.

It copies the memory card of the network or it copies what it reads from the memory card over the network.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
If you do a PM tourney ill try to participate. Having issues with main rig atm though so I might have to call it a miss until the next one rolls around.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Hey JMC4789, have there been any updates to the connecting code of 4.0-648 over 4.0-515? I am still unable to connect to anyone or have anyone connect to me. 3.5 still works fine, and I've used UDP in other games (like Mass Effect 3). Any ideas? Thanks!

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
It fixed some issues with glitched servers. More work is being put in to fix the hosting issues. We will update everyone when we have a new connection scheme to hopefully bring compatibility up to 100% Thank you for your patience.

Qual_

Smash Apprentice
Europe should have his own IRC channel. something like #dolphin-ssbm-eu

Cause there is too many USA players, and only 2 or 3 Europe players, and some people dont put _EU in nicknames, so pretty hard to find an opponent.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
We have more along the lines of 15 - 20 european players that show up throughout the week. Unfortunately, having a European chat may further segment the community. The goal is to improve lag handling so that there doesn't need to be segmentations among who will play who online. For now, that is inevitable but there is lots of work still being done to the netplay coding.

Landry

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm interested in trying to get Melee Online running on my comp. Can anyone recommend me a good GC port to USB adapter? Or do they all pretty much work about the same? I figured I'd ask here before jumping in and just buying one.

Qual_

Smash Apprentice
Try Padsend, its allow you to use 4 GC controllers connected to the WII on your PC over network, without lags. You need a hacked wii.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Interesting. I've never heard of PadSend. I'd be interested to hear someone report on input latency.

Landry

Smash Ace
So does the game actually run smoothly on computers or is there noticeable lag? Obviously I know there will be some lag, but how bad is it really?

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
So does the game actually run smoothly on computers or is there noticeable lag? Obviously I know there will be some lag, but how bad is it really?
Lag depends on your monitor, with a 5ms monitor you shouldn't notice any lag when playing locally (with windows aero disabled), however once you go online you place yourself at the mercy of the ping gods.

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
Is there a list of some sort of laptops/computers which can be purchased to run this? Would be awesome for people who aren't fluid in computer jargon.

Landry

Smash Ace
Hmm, so I still haven't bought a USB adapter. Is the mayflash legitimately inferior to the raphnet adapter? The reason I ask is because ordering through Amazon is way more convenient for me, so I was leaning toward the mayflash but I don't wanna buy it if actually lags or something like that.

S P O N G E

Smash Cadet
Why is there a bit of input lag online but not in single player? How can I fix that?

RazeriaN

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I would love to know if there is any way to speed up the dolphin emulator by using "wii" hardware. You know, using the wii hardware to help run melee on my PC so i can play online. With my PC I get around, 40-55 FPS, which is pretty decent but not for online/multiplayer.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Why is there a bit of input lag online but not in single player? How can I fix that?
Because that's how Netplay works.
In single player, Dolphin can reasonably expect to receive input right after it asks for it. Therefore, it can process input immediately.
Online, it takes a certain amount of time for the input arrive. Using the buffer system, you tell Dolphin "you can expect to have input 5 polls after it was asked for." Dolphin will wait that amount of time before doing anything with any input, even yours, which is available immediately. If input arrived, Dolphin uses it. If not, Dolphin has to pause the game until it arrives.
That's why higher buffer gives more FPS before the buffer sweetspot, but gives more input lag after the sweetspot.

ndustiny

Smash Rookie
Hello smashboards, longtime lurker here.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I'm bad at words so I can't search for $#@!

Two small issues I've had:

(1) Any time an emulation window is open/closed, all my displays go black for about a second. Other than that the game starts and closes fine.
(2) The first time I go into a game from stage select, there's a chance that the emulation window will alternate every second between a normal and a black picture. Sometimes this doesn't happen at all, and I can't figure out what is causing it to and not to happen. Ending the emulation and restarting the iso will usually fix it, otherwise I keep trying to restart it till it doesn't occur.

(1) is a small minor inconvenience since all my other windows get moved around whenever it happens.
(2) is also not game breaking, but it's a pain to whoever I'm playing with to ask for a restart right when the game would begin.

This has happened on an older revision of this thread's dolphin revision, the latest one as of this post (4.0-652), and vanilla dolphin 4.0. It can happen on both netplay or local.

I'm running a 2600k, and two AMD 6970s. A friend of mine who runs an nvidia card does not experience this, so my guess is that it's the gpu(/xfire?) I'm on? Is there some setting that I should know of to prevent this?

Top Bottom