• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doing aerial attacks and c-stick

abukhalil

Smash Rookie
I mostly play project m, and im used to jumping with L, so that i can use my other hand to perform aerials with c-stick, and i sometimes turn off tap jump.

Unfortunatly, im forced to play melee because that's what most people play in anther's ladder and rarely someone plays pm (maybe 'cause im too far away from everyone *cough* egypt *cough* ). But, both games are similar and my skill will carry over, right ?

Well, sort of. You can't edit your controls in melee. I can deal with tap jump, but jumping with L is essential, because again i need to use my other hand for the c-stick, it got stuck in my muscle memory that i went to dolphin controller options and assigned Y to square and L2 (ps3 controller, btw). If i would jump with X or Y and do aerials with c-stick i need to use a claw grip which is hard (especially with peach) and pretty uncomfortable for me.

My question is, is this bad for me ? Does it give me somewhat of an advantage over other players ? Should i stop using the c-stick and do aerials with the main stick+A ? And how much often do other players (specifically pro players ) use the c-stick ?

Sorry for long thread. Here, have a pikachu :pikachu:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
You shouldn't, doing them with the C-Stick offers much faster response to enemy attacks, while with the M-Stick+A you might do the wrong aerial at the wrong time (Many times when playing single player i just can't use them fast enough or instead do a N-Air instead of the desired one)

You should instead find a comfortable grip for your controller (Or if you have fast fingers you can just hold it the regular way like i do) or do a tap jump when you will use an aerial, there aren't many downsides to simply using the stick to jump if you won't do any advanced technique.

And if you haven't yet, get 20XXTE and get practicing with it, you won't regret it. (If you play on Nintendont i could send you the .raw file if you want) the reason i tell you this is that going back to Melee was a bit hard after playing so much PM, but 20XXTE helped me to get good again.

EDIT: Almost forgot, i'm not 100% sure if what i told you applies to the GC controller, as i don't have one i can't exactly tell you, instead i use a Logitech Dual Action (basically a bit older Logitech F310) which looks like a PS2 controller, i play via Nintendont.

Last edited:

abukhalil

Smash Rookie
So what are you saying is that i should start practicing doing aerials while jumping with tap jump or X/Y, gonna take some time (been jumping with L for months) but ok (i have 20xx 4.07++, are there any diffrences between this and TE version ?).

There is still one problem, floating.

If you couldn't tell already, i mainly use peach, and if im gonna float with X/Y, ill have to hold one of these buttons with my thumb, then ill use my thumb too to press A for an aerial WHILE holding X/Y (basically pressing two buttons with my thumb), which is already confirmed that it's not as optimal as using the c-stick. If i would use the c-stick while holding X/Y, then i need to use a claw grip, which is again not comfortable for me.

Maybe i should accept it and use a claw grip or find another grip, she is my main so it's a must. And then there is the problem of using different grips for different smash games, sigh.

Anyway, thanks for the respond :)

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
The huge difference in TE is that it is a Memory Card exploit and isn't as intrusive as 20XX hack pack, thus you can actually run it on real console without modifications and it also helps you train with less stuff that's far from vanilla Melee and is considered the default for most tournaments and netplay (Not sure if this is the case in anther's ladder)

You don't really need to always use the C-Stick, if you are floating then it's acceptable to not be 100% precise for the sake of comfort (and not getting carpal tunnel and that sort of stuff)

You can set your controls however you want if you are playing in Dolphin, for instance, i have to play Smash 2 with a Wiimote + Nunchuck combo and i have set the D-Pad to be smash attacks, D-Pad down to jump and B to shield, this way i can Wavedash comfortably (Something strictly necessary for Luigi) In short, just set your controls like you need them, i don't know why would you want to set your controls like a vanilla GC pad if you aren't comfortable with such a thing.

Or just move your thumb to the very edge of circle and press the cross that way, that's what i do when i'm in single player and it's a decent replacement for the C-Stick.

EDIT: Or you can use Mouse + Keyboard and lose all precision but get extra comfort (but that's a ridiculously stupid tradeoff)
Also, why don't you just find a better place to look for PM netplays? Anther's ladder isn't the only place, and there are IRC channels where you can look for a close match, i don't know the name of them but you can do a google search.

Last edited:

abukhalil

Smash Rookie
My controls are cross:b circle:a square&L2:y triangle:x, everything else is normal.

I should propably stop complaining and keep playing the way im used to, and that is jumping with L. I keep telling myself that ill get a gamecube controller in the future, so i have to get used to default controls, but here in egypt everyone plays fifa and cod on their ps4, there is hardly any knowledge about nintendo here, let alone the gamecube, so ill keep using netplay with my dualshock 3 for now and customize my controls the way i like, even in melee.

Speaking of which, i have some discord channels for pm netplay but no one is active most of the time, ill look for other discords that has daily active players (also not sure what do you mean by "IRC channels").

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
IRC, is, if i recall correctly "Internet Relay Chat"
But apparently no one has started a Project M netplay IRC, there appear to be some Melee ones, or that's what i understood.

And if you are going to get a GC controller in the future, then nothing stops you from playing how you like until that moment comes.
Trust me, i have used a GC controller before and while my gamepad settings match the GC controller, it still was very difficult to get used to it, so you should start getting used to the default controls when you get a GC controller, or else the control differences will completely throw you off.

Hope you enjoy Melee netplays!

Top Bottom