• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Wario feel different?

Colonel Roy Mustang

Smash Rookie
Is it just me, or does Wario feel relatively the same as he did in Brawl? He seems like he hasn't changed much at all. His attacks seem faster, but a bit weaker. He feels the same to play with as well... What do you think?

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
His air speed was nerfed from Brawl, and you can't SHDair anymore. That's all I can think of, since I don't play him much, but he does play very similar to his Brawl self.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I still enjoy playing as Wario, and he is still similar to his Brawl self. However, I don't enjoy playing as him as much because of his overall nerfed air game. The air game was what I loved about Wario in Brawl (besides his downright hilariousness) because of his solid air game. For me, I prefer playing in the air with characters rather than on the ground. With one of Wario's greatest strengths nerfed, he became less enjoyable. Overall, he still plays the same in general, but sadly he's not up to snuff with his Brawl version.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I honestly feel like we're exaggerating his air mobility nerf.

Last edited:

mobilisq

Smash Ace
I still can't for the life of me figure out why they changed his f-smash. That was an iconic move from his series of games

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
No, it's not just you. Wario has definitely changed, for better and for worse. The new forward smash still bothers me. >:(

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
His gameplan regarding the waft is still the same. But his moveset did receive significant changes. I don't think they are bad changes though.

I like this Wario, and I think he's still a viable character.

GenG

Smash Lord
As with other characters like Marth, the usefulness of his air game has been spreaded out through all his moves and specials.

Dragonitan

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2122-8048-1140
It seems like I'm one of the few people to prefer the new f-smash, yes his old one was an iconic attack, but this new backhand punch attack just feels more Wario for some reason.

About his air speed nerf, it isn't that terrible, he still has a good air speed and I feel like some people exagerated in the begining.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
His air speed isn't what got nerfed.

It's his aerial maneuverability that took a huge hit. You can't instantly shift the direction you're moving in like in Brawl, which makes faking people out by weaving in and out of their attack range a lot less effective, as only your double jump allows you to do that now.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do know that Wario's n-air is less effective than before. Also, the f-smash change really hurts Wario's fast KO move options, as his Brawl f-smash was quite quick and powerful for an attack that lacks range. At least the u-smash feels better with it now delivering one strong hit, instead of multiple weak hits.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I do like that the new U-smash was Mario-nized, but he's got no DACUS anymore.

I do really like the bike now. I know there's a lot of complaints about losing bike parts as items to throw (all fair complaints), but this new bike is easier to control, more meaty, and has many surprise hitboxes just by popping a wheelie or turning.

GanonDuck

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ganonduck
Even if he lost his shoulder bash ( RIP ;_; ) I sorta "feel" that Wario is alot more Wario in this game then brawl. His moves got alot more of a rough feel and momentum to them. From a gameplay point of view i guess his air game got sort of nerfed, but he still got a pretty good air game, and his ground game feels vastly improved with better tilts and a much better bike.

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Lots of things happenes to Wario. Yes, maybe he got rose air mobility, but he got lots of goodies too.

His Fsmash was ganged. It's powerful, but I like the previous one better.

His Dtilt is now a lot better, as it has less knockback and it's very fast now, meaning you can land multiple ones and follow up with other attacks, as well as being a good edge guarding tool.

Wario-Bike got a change. Wario never falls off randomly now, you can't gradually go up on your back wheel, and you can't stay on that wheel forever. Also, it has a hitbox after jumping off and letting it roll forward. You can also go up on the backwheel and Smash the front wheel down on others for great knockback.

His Dash Attack now always make opponents trip at the end of the attack.

His Up Smash is a lot better since it got changed.

His Down Smash is a lot more useful now.

The Waft feels overall more powerful, dunno if this is a fact

His Uair has less knockback

His Back Throw and Forward Throw got switched

Smooth animations, baby. He now feels SO much more natural, like he should be from the beginning.

And possibly more smaller things.

So yes, Wario definitely got changed. For the better and for the worse. I overall like this Wario a lot more than his Brawl version :)

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
I miss using bike pieces as projectiles, and his old f-smash. His air speed is still good, but it's not the same. Especially when his up-air and down-air were nerfed. Because of the changes, I refused to use him for a while. Now that I'm starting to play as him more, that was kinda dumb. He's still Wario, and he's still a lot of fun.

Top Bottom