• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does this only happen to me, or...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I hesitated to bring this up for a while because I thought it was just coincidence, but its happened enough times for me to wonder if its something hard programmed into the algorithm. Often times when I hop on Quickplay, I'll get matched with... let's say an Inkling, for this example. I play a match or two with them, and then get paired with someone else. I get immediately paired with another Inkling. Not the same Inkling, I've checked the player name on the versus screen to make sure, it's a different Inkling. Sometimes I'll get a third match with a different person but same character after that, but it's usually just two people with the same character I get matched with one after the other before getting thrown people playing different characters.

And this isn't infrequent, it's more or less happened at least once a day when I play Quickplay. Does this happen to anybody else, or does anyone know if this is something coded into the matchmaking? Or am I just getting lucky?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I once faced three Incineroar in a row.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
I seriously doubt that it is coded into the matchmaking. Some characters are just more common than others. You could consider it a great opportunity to learn the matchup by experiencing how many different players use the same character.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I seriously doubt that it is coded into the matchmaking. Some characters are just more common than others. You could consider it a great opportunity to learn the matchup by experiencing how many different players use the same character.
I doubt it is either, it’s just really weird. And it’s definitely noticable the difference in playstyle when you go from one Pichu to the other for example. But it’s not just running into the same character multiple times, its getting paired with the same character on a different player in a row that’s weird to me. Probably coincidental, but it happens on almost a daily basis with different characters most of the time, not just popular picks.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It comes in waves. First was a million gillion little macs then tonnes and tons of richters now it's a mess load of piranha plants (so many spike balls.....shiver) it's just the nature of the beast methinks.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
It comes in waves. First was a million gillion little macs then tonnes and tons of richters now it's a mess load of piranha plants (so many spike balls.....shiver) it's just the nature of the beast methinks.
I'm talking outside the general wave of popular characters. Piranha Plant was one thing, that wave came because of the DLC drop. I'm talking that, on a daily basis, the game will pair me up against one character, and then another player with the same character right after, before reverting to the usual roulette of common characters like :ultinkling:, :ultchrom:, :ultpichu:, etc. Is this happening to nobody else? I'm starting to suspect it might be a regional thing.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Happens to me as well here and there. I always just assume it’s a coincidence because it’s always the more popular characters that it happens with. More often than not Ganondorf or K Rool. Now, if I suddenly ran into two separate Duck Hunt or WFT players in a row I would be more intrigued.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Haven’t noticed anything like this in my sessions. The only time i frequently face the same characters is when someone like Zero posts Videos about a certain character (How to play Cloud / Link is OP in Matchmaking)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm talking outside the general wave of popular characters. Piranha Plant was one thing, that wave came because of the DLC drop. I'm talking that, on a daily basis, the game will pair me up against one character, and then another player with the same character right after, before reverting to the usual roulette of common characters like :ultinkling:, :ultchrom:, :ultpichu:, etc. Is this happening to nobody else? I'm starting to suspect it might be a regional thing.
It happens to me too but in addition to it being multiple battles in a row of the same character chosen by different players it's usually only "popular" characters (really just flavor of the week characters). I forgot krool how could I ever forget the multitudes of spam from that one ugh.

But yeah it's not anything unusual I really think it just happens to everyone but that only a few people have taken special note of it.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I fought a Bowser named Totes three times in a row after leaving after each match. I put the guy on block for a bit to prevent coming across him a fourth time in a row.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
This happened in Smash Wii U as well. Nothing to do with coding and just the mass jumping the newest bandwagon fighter. When Joker comes out, expect a million of those that even Batman would give up.

All of the dlc from the Wii U days was infested with online matches of nothing but Clouds, Corrins, and Bayonettas. Especially before their patches when they were just too op that you could fall asleep on the controller and still win.

I will say however, that I tend to find the same people over and over. Not the fighters. I'll leave a match and end up with the same people(s) I was fighting before. Sometimes I don't mind that other times I just want to challenge someone else. Pretty sure this has to do with how you set up the rules, which means some rule settings are going to have more fighters and others will have a handful. Which is really a bad set up for an online game. It ostracizes the Smash community as they're all going to be spread out into small sections/servers. Or whatever they call the rule setting thing.

As much as we complained about the Wii U/3ds modes, at least there were 5 modes instead of a ton of different rule settings that could have an infinite amount of sections created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom