• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Project M hate Sonic?

Should Sonic get a brand new moveset or be removed from Project Melee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm not gonna say his set isn't cool.
However, I will continue to say that it sucks. Horrifically.

It is all about winning if you have fun doing it. I mean, I don't know about you, but I have a good time if I win all day and get some extra cash out of it.
:applejack:

TheJedi

Smash Rookie
Personally i like most of what sonics game play is like. especially in 3.0. people having difficulty winning with him, simply aren't running and hitting neutral air enough. I enjoy his sort of wonky side b and down b. On hit you get a whole spew of options (including throw, throw is so so good) and something else you guys may not know is that at around 120% on a lot of characters his neutral B can infinite. ( i think it was bowzer specifically) His combo potential is stupid (in the best way),
from 0% all you need is a falling n-air to a grab, to up throw, to fair. His fair is crack, it almost works like falcos drill at times. you can use the move over and over in combo.
His dair is pretty good too, you can pretty much spam short hop dair Lcancels for shield pressure if youve got the speed. Its even possible to Dair spike people if you jump up at least once before you go off stage to give you time to recover.

the only real qualm i have with sonic is his terrible recovery. its sonic the f'in hedgehog! he should be to get back on the map from almost anywhere, him being super light doesn't help much either. I think the issue is mainly lack of horizontal movement. even though i feel like the move itself is a little low. with just some extra horizontal movement after up b, i'd at least feel a little bit better about chasing off map

All in all me and Philly Melee don't hate Sonic. I think he's a blast! Why not give him some cool extra skin to really show off his moves.

P.s. sonic dies fast as hell though (75%+) although this could be from some characters broken moves. (marios insane back throw)

MasterWolf144

Smash Rookie
Sonic shouldn't be forced to be the hit and run guy just because he is the fastest thing alive. He should if anything one of the best characters. The Homing Attack can barely be comboed out of because they make him do a pose at the end of it. Sonic needs to have reliable combos that aren't so heavy on ball form canceling. He needs a new neutral combo, one like Fox's. He needs to have less ball form use. He needs a stronger side smash and a new Dair.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Sonic shouldn't be forced to be the hit and run guy just because he is the fastest thing alive. He should if anything one of the best characters. The Homing Attack can barely be comboed out of because they make him do a pose at the end of it. Sonic needs to have reliable combos that aren't so heavy on ball form canceling. He needs a new neutral combo, one like Fox's. He needs to have less ball form use. He needs a stronger side smash and a new Dair.
Sonic doesn't need any of what you stated. HA isn't difficult to combo out of and Blast Attack is even easier due to reduced endlag. And to be honest the moves work so well for pressure and recovery that even if you couldn't combo out of them they'd still find use in Sonic's playstyle (oh and FYI him going into the pose has nothing to do with how well he can or can't combo out of the move; the poses have been there since 2.0).

Sonic's FSmash out of all his moves most certainly does not need to be stronger as it's already his hardest hitting move and always has been. The issue with it is its speed not its strength. And why does he need a new DAir? DAir is such an important tool for Sonic.

Honestly I don't see the issue in Sonic being a hit and run character, nor do I agree with completely changing how Sonic is played yet again when there is nothing objectively wrong or toxic with his current 3.0 playstyle.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Even though they destroyed him once already, I cosign with the above.
Besides, what other archetype of fighter could Sonic possibly fit into? :applejack:

FourStar

Smash Ace
see i always saw that during 2.5, sonic can fit into to different styles. 2.6 onward i feel he is meant more as a hit and run guy and that's it. Idk if it just me but thats my personal take on it

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
Sonic can still be aggressive, you just can't be brain-dead about it; it requires calculation.

GabPR

Smash Lord
I have a question can anybody tell my what the poll about Sonic,s moveset thing on this thread is about? And why the options dont include *stay as he is?

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
I have a question can anybody tell my what the poll about Sonic,s moveset thing on this thread is about? And why the options dont include *stay as he is?

Yea, lets just stop posting here and let this salty thread die. It honestly serves no purpose.

Xion DarkRose

Smash Apprentice
My opinion may not mean much since I don't post here often, but here's my 2 rings (terrible pun... Lol)

Personally, the 3.0 Sonic is the best yet. Enhanced air mobility, less knock back on stale moves, and kills off N.Air around 90% ~ 110% makes Sonic ALMOST OP, but in a good way.
Combo ability, INCREDIBLE SPEED, mobility, grab range, Sonic has everything he needs to be top tier. Everything, and those who dissagree... Well... You may be playing him wrong.

Of course, with soo many great plus's, he has to have a couple weaknesses. Literally I only see two weak points: Weapon characters, (sword users, space animal technology) and his weight.

But here's the thing. He's got F%£k'in AWESOME MOBILITY! So it doesn't matter how easy to smash he is, if you can't hit him to do damage, you cannot kill him.

I did pretty well at one of the local tourneys here with him, and I'm sure I've got a lot to learn. Thanks Project am team for making my favorite game character sooooo awesome.

Sh4de

Smash Rookie
Glad to know sonic isn't intentionally this bad, just started playing with my friend who mains sonic in brawl, and it was disheartening, he was incredibly weak even in comparison to his brawl counterpart

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Glad to know sonic isn't intentionally this bad, just started playing with my friend who mains sonic in brawl, and it was disheartening, he was incredibly weak even in comparison to his brawl counterpart
Wait what? What? "Weak even in comparison to his brawl counterpart"? That is in no way true at all. >,< Sonic is amazing in 3.02! he has arguably the best speed, combos, and mobility. If you stick with sonic for a while (try getting some ideas from the computer. Don't copy him though, just take what he does as food for thought.) you will find that he is an amazing character. I have been playing him for a while and I'd say he is a very sold character.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I don't main Sonic anymore, but I still use him quite a bit, and I think the small time away let me adapt to some of his changes such as a slower, but stronger back air. For one, I appreciate having the increased kill power somewhere. The no kill power 2.6 Sonic was unbearable to me. I don't know what more people want from Sonic. His homing attack is probably the most situational it has been in PM, but I think it's a good design for characters to have 1 or 2 moves of that nature.

With what I've been testing, his f-air is actually one of his best tools. It's one of his few moves that has range, and isn't as slow as his b-air. You can make it hit away, you can meteor with it for a tech chase or a spike, you can bounce people off the ground with it. It's just so useful imo.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
ppl complaining about sonics horizontal recovery need to remember that neutral b no lock on towards stage + up b is more than enough to recover just fine

GabPR

Smash Lord
3.02 Sonic is positively badass. Nowhere near as good as 2.6 Sonic, but I can dominate a lot of players easy with him. I've even won a few local tournaments with him. He's extremely fun, and downright destructive when you get him down.
ou
3.02 Sonic is positively badass. Nowhere near as good as 2.6 Sonic, but I can dominate a lot of players easy with him. I've even won a few local tournaments with him. He's extremely fun, and downright destructive when you get him down.
you mean 2.5 right?

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
ppl complaining about sonics horizontal recovery need to remember that neutral b no lock on towards stage + up b is more than enough to recover just fine
I agree. Sonic's horizontal recovery is amazing in my opinion.

ou

you mean 2.5 right?
Have you been playing 3.0 Sonic? He is amazing and sooo much fun to play! :D

GabPR

Smash Lord
What i meant to quote was the line where he said 3.0 is not better than 2.6, instead of 2.5. dont get me wrong I love 3.0 Sonic.

EpicSmashKing

Smash Rookie
NNID
StarlighGamer
He was already pretty fun. Some people were just TOO offended by the ammount of spin-based moves and just couldn't let go of it.
Marth on the other hand... :rolleyes: must've had one heck of a fun moveset.
I totaly agree my brother raged so much he wont even vs me if I play sonic

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
the only real qualm i have with sonic is his terrible recovery. its sonic the f'in hedgehog! he should be to get back on the map from almost anywhere
I'm sorry but LMFAO. Since when was Sonic known for flying? He's known for running fast lol. And Sonic's recovery is very good. You just need to work on abusing his tricks.

Anyway, Sonic is still broken IMO, but he's much more manageable compared to 2.5. He crosses up shields too well, making most OoS options useless vs him. Yes you can combo him, but Sonic can just rush in for practically free with Spin Dash and jump cancel into X aerial. At least with Squirtle (another character who can cross up shield well), if you face the other way and shield his Withdraw, you can Shield grab. You can't even do that with Sonic. Thats my only problem with him.

Antique_Gamer

Smash Apprentice
Personally i like most of what sonics game play is like. especially in 3.0. people having difficulty winning with him, simply aren't running and hitting neutral air enough. I enjoy his sort of wonky side b and down b. On hit you get a whole spew of options (including throw, throw is so so good) and something else you guys may not know is that at around 120% on a lot of characters his neutral B can infinite. ( i think it was bowzer specifically) His combo potential is stupid (in the best way),
from 0% all you need is a falling n-air to a grab, to up throw, to fair. His fair is crack, it almost works like falcos drill at times. you can use the move over and over in combo.
His dair is pretty good too, you can pretty much spam short hop dair Lcancels for shield pressure if youve got the speed. Its even possible to Dair spike people if you jump up at least once before you go off stage to give you time to recover.

the only real qualm i have with sonic is his terrible recovery. its sonic the f'in hedgehog! he should be to get back on the map from almost anywhere, him being super light doesn't help much either. I think the issue is mainly lack of horizontal movement. even though i feel like the move itself is a little low. with just some extra horizontal movement after up b, i'd at least feel a little bit better about chasing off map
True, especially in 3.6 Sonic has much better air game, then again I haven't been following PM too closely. :L
But I have noticed Sonic can combo dash atk to dash atk to side b or grab(?) then Sonic Eagle (fair)

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Guys, for some reason, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Project M does in fact hate Sonic.

Although, I have no idea why... :urg:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom