• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Olimar have bad air game?

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
I'm not the genius type to figure out if Oli has a bad air game so I came to ask if Olimar has a bad air game. I've heard one person say e does and another says he doesn't so I'm kinda confused Dx.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
He doesn't. His offstage game isnt the greatest however because of his weak recovery. Air game consists of the overall effectiveness of his aerials, mobility, and tools he has to get to the ground. He has good aerials that are decently strong and fast and combo into things. In addition they can have great disjointed range depending on the pikmin and are also immune to certain attacks depending on the pikmin. His uair is really good and has a lot of range and is very difficult to do out of. His meteor is actually viable and I don't know how good his bair is but I know dent I uses it to ko a lot.

No idea how his air dodge or speed is but he does have whistle which is pretty much the best anti juggling move in the game and I think he can b-reversal it for mixups

Pretty much his air game is good though... I ****ing hate this character

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Forward Air, Back Air and Down air are all very reliable killers, with forward and down having very good range. while UAir and NAir can set up comboes. Air dodge is rather long, and Whistle can grant armour (if you can time it extraordinarily well)
Short Hop is also pretty decent.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Duh Marf's range is insane. It's like a pikachu trying to attack D3 with a fair when he's using ftilt.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
xD you know what I meant! Some people told me about Olimar's air game so that's how I knew about this stuff already

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Anyway, we all know that he has high range, power and little lag in most of his air game. Plus a Meteor Smash, and a UAir that stays out all day long.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Forward Air, Back Air and Down air are all very reliable killers, with forward and down having very good range. while UAir and NAir can set up comboes. Air dodge is rather long, and Whistle can grant armour (if you can time it extraordinarily well)
Short Hop is also pretty decent.
- Adding on to that, FF Airdodge can be really good
- Nooooot so sure about Uair setting up combos. Maybe if you use it to push a shielding opponent off a platform or something, IDK.
- Whistle armor doesn't need EXTRAORDINARY timing. IIRC, you have armor from frame 2-16 or something of a 21-frame move. Been a while since I played this game, so that might not be that exactly, but it should be close.
dont challenge people like Marf:marth: in the air.
bad things will happen.
very bad things.
IIRC, occasionally challenging Marth with a fair is good. Have to know when he won't be expecting you to.
Duh Marf's range is insane. It's like a pikachu trying to attack D3 with a fair when he's using ftilt.
SOUNDS LEGIT. Hit that hammer hurtbox. X3

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
- Adding on to that, FF Airdodge can be really good
If you like getting DAed upon landing
- Nooooot so sure about Uair setting up combos. Maybe if you use it to push a shielding opponent off a platform or something, IDK.
If they SDI out of it or something you can prolly hit em with another Uair or Bair/Fair
- Whistle armor doesn't need EXTRAORDINARY timing. IIRC, you have armor from frame 2-16 or something of a 21-frame move. Been a while since I played this game, so that might not be that exactly, but it should be close.

IIRC, occasionally challenging Marth with a fair is good. Have to know when he won't be expecting you to.
Like once in the match otherwise you get read and Fsmashed

SOUNDS LEGIT. Hit that hammer hurtbox. X3

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Ach, forgot about SWF for a while, sorry.
If you like getting DAed upon landing
Really depends on how you're using it. You fall a decent distance when you FF it with a period of intangibility that lasts longer than whistle's armor (not to mention the whole), but it isn't exactly going to be difficult to read and punish if you just use it as your only method of getting grounded.
Like once in the match otherwise you get read and Fsmashed
Aye, but little mixups like that can be good for making people afraid to do things a certain way. It's all a part of conditioning, mindgames, etc.
Like... if you just run toward someone, they might choose to challenge you head-on or they might choose to be more defensive. If they shy away, you know that they're cautious and you can exploit their fear. If you challenge a cautious Marth in the air once, he might j.6A early to head you off the next time you dash toward him. Provided that you didn't... ACTUALLY dash into it, you're in a somewhat advantageous position.
Feel free to ignore all of this if you already know what I'm talking about. It's easy to misunderstand me unless I try my best to explain exactly what I mean. ^^;

Top Bottom