• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Melee have input timing jitter?

CoreyJL

Smash Rookie
So for a while I've been building my own Smashbox-esque controller. Over time it has developed into a "Cheater-box" for fun.

I am currently working on a perfect wavedash macro, and that concept can be applied to multishining as well.

I have an older build of the controller that is a Frankenstein padhack of a GameCube controller. I used a Teensy 3.2 to interface with it. So essentially, I am using a microcontroller to "push" the buttons electronically for me with precise timings.

I am having some very interesting findings though, perhaps some of the experts can provide an explanation:

If I space out a jump input and a trigger input to exactly what it should be for a perfect wavedash for the respective character, it will only perfect wavedash about a third of the time, maybe less (I didn't do any sort of statistical analysis). Sometimes the airdodge would happen early and get eaten, and sometimes it would be a frame late. I believe on extremely rare occasions it could also be two frames late.

Is this a known issue, or has anyone tested this? I suppose my code and application could be at fault, but I am fairly certain that's not the case.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I've had similar issues working with macros on a controller modded with an Arduino that I was messing around with. For applications like adding or subtracting from the analog stick values it seemed to work okay, but anything that relied on pushing a button press on a strict timing was inconsistent at best

I do not know what the issue is though, maybe it's the board receiving an interrupt at a critical moment or maybe something else, I honestly have no clue

Last edited:

CoreyJL

Smash Rookie
I originally thought it was a problem like that. I'm using the NicoHood Nintendo library for my new build so I thought it had something to do with that, but when I use a regular official GameCube controller, the problem is still there.

Even running super simple code that simply jumps and then airdodges at a specific interval seems to give the same result. I honestly think that the game's input polling is really messed up. I haven't tested on an actual GameCube yet though, only Dolphin. I wonder if the same issue is on the regular GameCube.

If this really is a problem with the game, it is interesting to me that no one has noticed. I suppose it is hard to notice a +/- 1 frame jitter though. Maybe all these years people have just blamed themselves for missing a wavedash when really it was just bad luck.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I've been testing it on a GC/Wii myself. As far as I can tell it's almost certainly more of an issue with the micro controllers based off how inconsistent it is vs how consistent normal play is

Last edited:

CoreyJL

Smash Rookie
I really hope so. I would hate for it to be a problem with the game itself since it is such an amazing game.

I just really wonder what's going wrong. I'm using timing in microseconds, and none of my code is using interrupts as far as I know. It is hard for me to believe that a microcontroller would provide a time unit in microseconds that is up to ~16 milliseconds off in either direction.

CoreyJL

Smash Rookie
Upon further testing, I believe I have confirmed the problem is with the microcontroller. I tried it out in Project M and the problem is still there.

I really wonder if there is a way to overcome this problem. I'm not even sure what the cause is. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it, although I know this is sort of a unique problem.

Rococo

Smash Rookie
Melee does have polling drift which causes a couple dead frames that don't allow inputs every 600-900 frames. That's obviously not significant enough to account for the errors that you are finding, but it could mess up a wavedash once in a blue moon even if you configured your microcontroller correctly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom