• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Lucas not have any combos?

MalachitJR

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2092-6451-4829
As much as I love Lucas I see little to no combos he can do. His main combo in smash 4 was his down throw into aerial attacks, but now he can't do that so I'm stumped. Ness can still do that and his yo-yo is alot better for edgeguarding so is Lucas just completely inferior to him? My favorite buff that Lucas actually got was his Pk freeze, it's a kill special now. But that's about it I can't seem to pull off any combos just fairs and nairs.
I'll greatly appreciate any tips on Lucas and how to use him more competitively.

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
Well, I've heard zair into f-smash is a thing, as well as z-air loops at high percents.
Can confirm that d-tilt starters are still a thing as well.

While the loss of throw combos hurts, it's important to keep in mind Lucas was improved in basically every other way, and hits like a truck now.

MalachitJR

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2092-6451-4829
I've tried to do that but I have a hard time doing it on smaller characters like pichu and kirby. And I feel like Lucas got buffs and nerfs in alot of his moves. Like for example his psi magnet pulls enemies in so it's easier to hit them with it, but at the cost of not being able to stop in place when in the air.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
There are less gauranteee true combos but more "this works 90% of the time if I follow their DI" combos. I've gotten 3 to 4 up airs after a down throw

Last edited:

Bynine

Smash Cadet
experiment with drag-down nair/dair, down tilt, and sour spot f-tilt. i don't know if they're true combos per say but i'm definitely getting follow ups off them

imFINEsir

Smash Rookie
My experience with lucas combo game: (dont know if these are true, but they have been working for me)

0-10% - dthrow - fair - nair - bair back to the stage (confirmed not true, but it hits if they dont react fast enough)
20% - dthrow - upair - upair - nair/bair (depending on DI)
30-50% - dthrow - upair - upair - possible pk thunder

Kill combo's at high %
Zair - fsmash
Falling nair (the last hit shouldnt go off, it pushes enemies away) - fsmash

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Yeah I don't know what they were thinking nerfing Lucas's down throw but leaving Ness untouched in that department. Poor guy, at least PK Freeze is a ton better though.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I don't know what they were thinking nerfing Lucas's down throw but leaving Ness untouched in that department. Poor guy, at least PK Freeze is a ton better though.
Not to worry, Ness's dthrow is also garbage compared to last game. It only combos into fair against heavies (but then again, so can Lucas's). Ness's dthrow is still better for putting opponents into a more unfavorable position, though.

My main gripe with Lucas in ultimate is the change to his nair. It used to be easy to combo into itself and fair... and now it just doesn't work as well. Here's to hoping it gets restored to it's former glory so we make like Palutena and nair people for days.

MorganLeBumblebee

Smash Rookie
Up air seems to be a combo starter, from my own experiences. I've gotten - up air - up tilt - up air at low percents before, with platforms at least. I don't know if it's true though

Top Bottom