• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does it usually take you a little bit to adjust to a new/different controller?

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I recently got a new controller, and since my old one had a really really loose joystick, its taking some getting used to be able to use my new one, which has a super tight joystick, though its a little looser at the edges of its range of motion, anyways, I'm just asking if anypony else gets like that with a new/different controller.

MVP

Smash Ace
it won't take to long. it is funny with muscle memory but it helps if you play other characters that you don't normally play to break that. cause you haven't developed auto-pilot with them.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
it won't take to long. it is funny with muscle memory but it helps if you play other characters that you don't normally play to break that. cause you haven't developed auto-pilot with them.
Thanks for the tip, I guess all controllers feel different now since they've all been used different amounts, and they're all between 6 and 12 years old

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
there can be some pretty significant differences between controllers, even beyond just old vs. new (mostly in the actual control sticks themselves; if you know how to shield drop, you'll notice that every controller has some method for it that seems to be easier). but you'll adjust; don't worry. just take note of the stuff that isn't working the same, and figure out how to compensate for it—for instance, I just got a new controller with much tighter R/L springs, so I have to press harder in order to powershield and wavedash than what I'm used to (easy enough). noticing the differences plus just getting playtime in (since your hands will tend to break controllers in in a similar way) will sort it out for you.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Used to take me ages (aka days / weeks) to get used to a new one. By now it's "oh, left mine at home. Give me any working one and three hours and there won't be any issues" :D

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
the two biggest factors in being able to adjust to different controllers:
1) how technical you are and 2) how technical the character is that you play

as a somewhat technical fox main it would take me a long time to adjust to a new controller. i've had the same controller for a while, but on the off-chance i have to play with someone else's, my play significantly worsens.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Is this your first new controller? What I mean is, did you learn everything on your previous controller? I used to have a lot of troubles when my first controller broke, but after that, I find I can use pretty much any controller as long as the buttons work. I'll have a few mistakes here and there on a really bad controller or something, but that's it. I got a new controller in January and on the day I got it, I was doing everything I wanted (and better than on my older controller because that one's stick was getting too loose for me).

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I'm with SAUS, it's mostly a question of how often you've transitioned controllers before.

I couldn't play on other controllers for **** back in the days (when I barely could do the basic techskill stuff), and nowadays it's like whatever and I can do some rather technical things (like pivots / isai drops) on controllers that I've never played on.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this is the first new controller I've gotten since I really started playing Smash about a year and a half-ish ago, It's been pretty different feeling, but I'm adjusted now that I've given the thing time.

JKJ

Smash Ace
Yes. I find it virtually impossible to do quickly, speaking as a pretty technical fox/falco main. It's hard, I just avoided doing it by fixing my R trigger, so I'm set for a while. I find it near impossible to sit down and play well without my controller; I've switched once, but it wasn't easy, and I don't plan on repeating it unless absolutely necessary.

IceyBeef

The Supreme Beef Lord
3DS FC
5069-4117-1821
Yes it can be different with each person. Some people it only takes them only a few minuets, or days, or weeks. It all depends if your old one was really loose for the joystick (Well for me at least).

JKJ

Smash Ace
Yes it can be different with each person. Some people it only takes them only a few minuets, or days, or weeks. It all depends if your old one was really loose for the joystick (Well for me at least).
Only a few minuets?
I have to listen to Minuet in G many more than a few times to get my new controller to feel comfortable.

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
It's not unusual. I have two I switch between and I use one more than the other. When I have to use the other the stick feels a lot different as its suffered less wear, and just something little like that can influence my play, even as someone who isn't very technical.

Top Bottom