• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does it bother anyone else that custom names replace the fighter names at the bottom?

Arthur97

Smash Master
As the title said. It's a minor thing to be sure, but I'd rather see the fighter name. Problem is, if it's like last time, to turn off tap jump I'll need a name.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Hmm, sort of. I've never really given it much thought before, so I don't really know how to perfectly put this into words, but...

It's a nice little touch, I guess? The standard fighter names at the bottom, I mean. When it's their own name, it's like the two characters are ACTUALLY fighting, you know? Like Mario vs Link. But when it's the player's own name, it kind of... takes away that appeal. Mario is now named Bob and Link is now named James, or something. But I imagine it helps clear up confusion over who's who in a match, so I'm okay with it. And I could just make tags named after the fighters, so it's all good.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Just give yourself the name of the character. Might not work for everyone but they did get rid of the old character limit so maybe most will fit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like it. I use the name "Sudozelda" when i play anyway. So just seeing that instead of both my character name and usertag is pretty minimal. So its fine to me

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I think it makes a lot of sense for casual play in particular, actually, I.e. you walk over to the TV and see your friends / family already playing, with the tags on the UI you can immediately check who is playing which character without having to ask them about it or trying to read the tags over the characters’ heads while they are moving around.

I can see how that can be annoying, though, especially if one doesn’t know the names of all of the characters (which is an issue for me personally when watching livestreams of players playing some other fighting games online, since some games have the players’ online tags replace the characters’ names on the UI.)

On a side note, given the emphasis in this game on using existing characters to approximate other characters, tags appearing on the GUI makes it a tad more convincing since you can use the name of the character you’re trying to approximate as your tag, for anyone who tries that.

MiiClaire

Smash Rookie
I didn't even notice that until this post pointed it out, but I gotta say it'll be fitting for me since I'm a mii main lol

Lord_Ghirahim

Smash Cadet
Maybe I'm in the minority but I really like this actually. For watching other players it becomes so clear who is playing which character, and also makes it a bit more personal for me when playing.

Is this also the case for the V.S. screen during the stage loading? I would prefer character names there.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
You can tell who it is based on the image. I don’t think there’s an issue here, but I can see why others might.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think I actually did consider making names for everyone (would even let me name female Robin Reflet for differentiation) but that's a lot of names to make.

It kind of feels like it takes away from it though. Who wants to watch nfdskjfls and hbufhngeur fight instead of Mario and Sonic?

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I had no idea this was a thing but my first reaction is that I like it, haha. I don't think it takes away from the "this character is fighting against this character!" because it's all just part of the user interface anyway. I'd say it's a good thing for the user interface to show which user is using each character. The character still looks and sounds like the character, and their name is still celebrated if they win (though I honestly wouldn't even mind if the player's name is proudly displayed on the victory screen, or is that actually a thing?).

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I dig the change, makes it easier to determine whose playing, and I love it from a fighting game standpoint since essentially, it is more of a player vs player in a situation in a match rather than the characters fighting in the long run. It's like the characters are the cars with the players being drivers. Regarding the name problem, we may have to deal with it unless theres an update or patch dropped to address it.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Idk why this is even a discussion. It doesn't bother me at all because we will know who is who from watching in the audience even if you don't follow the players

Unless of course, you wanna troll the **** out of people with meme names lol

D

Deleted member

As the title said. It's a minor thing to be sure, but I'd rather see the fighter name. Problem is, if it's like last time, to turn off tap jump I'll need a name.
I actually like that. Now I can have a custom title of 'Audrey II' and play Piranha Plant with that showing as the name instead of it floating above the character the whole match.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Idk why this is even a discussion. It doesn't bother me at all because we will know who is who from watching in the audience even if you don't follow the players

Unless of course, you wanna troll the **** out of people with meme names lol
You...realize most people don't have audiences, right? It may be fine for competitive, but most people don't concern themselves with that.
I actually like that. Now I can have a custom title of 'Audrey II' and play Piranha Plant with that showing as the name instead of it floating above the character the whole match.
It still floats too.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You...realize most people don't have audiences, right? It may be fine for competitive, but most people don't concern themselves with that.

It still floats too.
Maybe you're not realizing it's for something like college campuses games or the competitive scenes. That's what I'm referring to

Arthur97

Smash Master
Maybe you're not realizing it's for something like college campuses games or the competitive scenes. That's what I'm referring to
Do you still think that isn't a small part of what the game is used for? Besides, the names are above the fighters, if you can't keep track of who's who with that, is this really going to help much?

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I love it, because now it means I don't main a character, but that I am the character. ;D

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Ever done an 8 player smash with everyone being the same character? Yeah, this is why they changed that, and it's a good change.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
xD Honestly, I think the change is pretty good! Myself, I can't wait to show that I main this guy with the title:
2.png

xP Hideous Henry main for life.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Guess most people just aren't as good at keeping track of their fighters as me.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Do you still think that isn't a small part of what the game is used for? Besides, the names are above the fighters, if you can't keep track of who's who with that, is this really going to help much?
You're REALLY jumping to conclusions here man. There's plenty of reasons for the names to be on there to begin with

R O F L

Smash Ace
I didn't like it at first. I don't mind it now as long as the names above the characters are still there, i'm probably going to need the name-above-your-head thingy now thanks to the new color-scheme, balloon knockback, and smoke.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I actually like this change - I think I'm going to use it to give certain costumes nicknames. Like "Goku" for Orange Ryu for example. Maybe "Buena Girl" for Pikachu Libre.

Top Bottom