• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Inkling require skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookies N Milk

Smash Apprentice
I play with my brother and my friends and I main inkling. They always say I play the cheesiest characters, which they say is inkling and that she takes no skill? Are they exaggerating or are they saying the truth?

Melonsismyusername

Smash Apprentice
yes, you have to memorize boo-yah kill percent, know how to Reverse Areial Rush, know the inkling edgeguarding flow chart and many other essential skills, tell them to git gud n00b.

Cookies N Milk

Smash Apprentice
They always say only I’m bad at the game, even when I usually 3 stock them. They always say inkling is a cheese character and takes no skill and I’m only winning because she’s OP. My brother mains palutena and phishes for Nair....

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
They always say only I’m bad at the game, even when I usually 3 stock them. They always say inkling is a cheese character and takes no skill and I’m only winning because she’s OP. My brother mains palutena and phishes for Nair....
Make them use Inkling too to know who is the best then... with the same conditions there will be no excuses...

link2702

Smash Champion
Tell them go to a tournament offline (of course even an online one from the competitive scene would work) and win with inkling.

Or better yet, have them join the 24/7 arenas hosted by the twitch channel nerf_0 and use only inkling and make sure they go in there proclaiming how easy inkling is to use and how they’re “cheap”

After your bros have been stomped by everyone in the arena using random and it’s all been recorded, ask them if they still think inkling doesn’t take skill to use?

Don’t get me wrong, inkling is an amazing character who definitely has great tools and definitely are frustrating to face when played well, but that doesn’t mean they require 0 skill to use.

The only character in the entire series history that I’d EVER say really didn’t require too much skill to use decently was brawl metaknight, but even he still needed a player to understand basic smash mechanics.

jgarciajr40

Smash Rookie
I really wish inklings bomb caused self harm like snakes bombs, or at least make her tank refill slower

Cookies N Milk

Smash Apprentice
I challenged them to fight a level 9 incineroar and fight them as inkling. They both said they would win easily, they both lost and still won't admit she takes skill. They always say only autistic people play inkling and rub it in when I lose. They always make jokes like saying I have a "crush" on inkling.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
yes, you have to memorize boo-yah kill percent, know how to Reverse Areial Rush, know the inkling edgeguarding flow chart and many other essential skills, tell them to git gud n00b.
Those don't count, since they involve you playing against the game, not against the other player. That's like saying the Infinite Cape glitch from SSBB is not broken because it also requires skill to perform.

Having said that, I agree with your conclusion despite disagreeing with the arguments you use to support it. Like all other character Inkling normally has no options that cover everything their opponent can do and thus requires playing mindgames against the opponent. Winning those mindgames requires outplaying the opponent and thus the kind of skill that makes a character fair.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
They're just bad and salty, and if they themselves were playing Inkling they would lose. If you ask them to play Inkling, they'll respond with "no way I don't want cheap easy wins." I guarantee you.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
They always say "not the way you play her", which implies she does take skill, then how am I beating you then?
It feels like even if you were to pick a different character, they would complain about something different to make you feel bad. Keep playing Inkling, tell them to Git gud.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Those don't count, since they involve you playing against the game, not against the other player. That's like saying the Infinite Cape glitch from SSBB is not broken because it also requires skill to perform.

Having said that, I agree with your conclusion despite disagreeing with the arguments you use to support it. Like all other character Inkling normally has no options that cover everything their opponent can do and thus requires playing mindgames against the opponent. Winning those mindgames requires outplaying the opponent and thus the kind of skill that makes a character fair.
They do count or else you don’t play Inkling correctly enough to beat the opponent.

1FC0

Smash Lord
They do count or else you don’t play Inkling correctly enough to beat the opponent.
The things that you mention require an amount of skill that's independent of the opponent's skill. If that were all it takes to win with Inkling then that would mean that once an Inkling player had reached a certain point of skill that he would be able to beat anyone, even players who actually have much more skill than him.

The real skill of Inkling is in mindgaming with her—same as with most characters. In order to figure out where the skill with Inkling lies you need to figure out what Inkling's options are and what the opponent's options are. This will vary with matchup.

So in short, how much skill it takes to win with Inkling depends on your opponent. Only if your opponent is bad will it take no skill.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Flashback to those times as a kid when I was told I was a hacker with no skill when I beat people at Super Smash Mobs on Mineplex (ah, the glory days....)

If someone says you're playing a character with no skill and that you're being carried, they're wrong. Done. The only character you can remotely win without actual skill is Hero. Inkling's boo-yah confirm and the ink mechanic are certainly things I think are broken, but that doesn't mean it requires no skill to make use of. And even those two mechanics are only a fraction of the entire Inkling playstyle. If you're beating them with Inkling, good job. It means you're better than them.

Tell them to play as inkling against your inkling, on the same conditions you normally use. When you beat them, look at them smugly. It always works.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The only character you can remotely win without actual skill is Hero.
Why not the other RNG characters? They may have less RNG but I've seen Luigi take a stock solely due to 2 misfire's in a row. Even Magic Burst requires a mindgame, unskilled opponent, or setting up advantage to use effectively. And even then it will leave Hero almost completley helpless, since Hero without MP is a very very bad character. So Hero will need some skill to not have his own stock taken immediately after.

I don't think that any character in SSBU can win without skill. Any character needs an amount of skill that's dependent on the opponent. Some maybe less, some more. The misfire Luig that I mentioned may have beaten a superior opponent, but he still needed skill to not be too much worse than his opponent. It's like fighting a favourable matchup.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Your quote-unquote "friends" are whiny ******* that refuse to accept their own lack of skill and want to blame everything but themselves for their poor results. It's easier to tear you down than to build themselves up.

If they think that's an acceptable way to talk to a friend, turn it right back at them. Gloat. Point out every time you punish them after they do something wrong (Should have shielded there). Call your shots (Incoming roller! Don't run into this smash attack!). If they can dish it, they should be able to take it.

Treat others the way you want to be treated. If you done that, treat others the way they've treated you.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Rule of thumb: any multi-class or character based multiplayer game has absolutely NO skillless classes/characters. It's literally impossible. Smash is no different, and all characters, even the stereotypically braindead ones are actually just low skill floor characters. But "low skill" doesn't mean "NO skill".

1FC0

Smash Lord
Your quote-unquote "friends" are whiny ******* that refuse to accept their own lack of skill and want to blame everything but themselves for their poor results. It's easier to tear you down than to build themselves up.

If they think that's an acceptable way to talk to a friend, turn it right back at them. Gloat.
Maybe his friends really believe that Inkling is OP. Either way, this advice is good for starting a fight but bad for getting his friends to admit that Inkling is not OP. The more he gloats, the less likely his friends are to admit that the're wrong and the more likely it is that a fight is going to start between them.

My advice is to not start acting like a jerk even if they do. There is just no point to being a jerk, keep your calm.
Point out every time you punish them after they do something wrong (Should have shielded there).
This seems like a good idea. Point out to them how they can counter Inkling to prove that Inkling has counterplay. Do so in a nice way though, do not mock or gloat.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Why not the other RNG characters? They may have less RNG but I've seen Luigi take a stock solely due to 2 misfire's in a row. Even Magic Burst requires a mindgame, unskilled opponent, or setting up advantage to use effectively. And even then it will leave Hero almost completley helpless, since Hero without MP is a very very bad character. So Hero will need some skill to not have his own stock taken immediately after.

I don't think that any character in SSBU can win without skill. Any character needs an amount of skill that's dependent on the opponent. Some maybe less, some more. The misfire Luig that I mentioned may have beaten a superior opponent, but he still needed skill to not be too much worse than his opponent. It's like fighting a favourable matchup.
Emphasis on remotely, dude. I italicized it for this exact reason. Yes, you need to correctly execute Hero's RNG to make use of it. But it's still RNG. it's possible to get super lucky at the right moment and just win thanks to having some game breaking buff. And while this is also true for other RNG moves in the game, what separates Hero is that he has so much more RNG in his moveset, and that Green Missile specifically can be a very risky and easy to punish move. Compare this to Hero who can hit you with his RNG attacks from across the stage, or simply become huge or invincible and stomp you right there.

Melonsismyusername

Smash Apprentice
The things that you mention require an amount of skill that's independent of the opponent's skill. If that were all it takes to win with Inkling then that would mean that once an Inkling player had reached a certain point of skill that he would be able to beat anyone, even players who actually have much more skill than him.

The real skill of Inkling is in mindgaming with her—same as with most characters. In order to figure out where the skill with Inkling lies you need to figure out what Inkling's options are and what the opponent's options are. This will vary with matchup.

So in short, how much skill it takes to win with Inkling depends on your opponent. Only if your opponent is bad will it take no skill.
No **** you need to have mindgames, I was just showing the mechanical baseline

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Emphasis on remotely, dude. I italicized it for this exact reason. Yes, you need to correctly execute Hero's RNG to make use of it. But it's still RNG.
This just means that Hero players need skill and luck.

Also what does "remotely" mean in this case? You mean that he does need skill but less so? Even then I doubt it. Hero is complex and has huge weaknesses. In addition, his RNG requires hitting an unsafe difficult to hit smash attack or getting in advantage with a character who's neutral is not particularly good.

Also at times Hero will get bad RNG. What does he need then to make up for that?

it's possible to get super lucky at the right moment and just win thanks to having some game breaking buff.
Without skill? How so? Oomph and Psych-Up require skill the hit the opponent with the proper attacks, Heal just heals 11%, Acceleratle still requires using the speed skillfully for something, and Bounce is good against projectile characters but even against Mega Man it's nothing game breaking as it lasts too short and is pretty easy to stall out for how hard it is to get the move (Command Selection is too slow to make fishing for Bounce a viable strategy).

And while this is also true for other RNG moves in the game, what separates Hero is that he has so much more RNG in his moveset, and that Green Missile specifically can be a very risky and easy to punish move.
What about pulling turnips? Is that risky too? Hero's RNG is pretty risky compared to turnips. Even moves like Magic Burst leave him without recovery and anything but his crappy normals in addition to requiring Hero to set up advantage which requires skill.

Compare this to Hero who can hit you with his RNG attacks from across the stage, or simply become huge or invincible and stomp you right there.
All his projectiles can be safely shielded. If someone gets hit by them from across the stage than he just misplayed. Cannot blame luck for someone getting hit by an extremely easy to avoid attack. In fact, aside from the buffs shielding is always a safe option against Hero using vB from across the stage. And the buffs are only useful if Hero outplays the opponent afterwards.

And becoming invincible is very unlikely. Hocus Pocus only has 3% chance chance of Appearing and when choosen only 1.22% of granting invincibility. That's a whopping .0366% chance of getting it in a random menu. In addition, Hocus Pocus has a significantly larger chance to screw the user over so fishing for invincibility is an unviable strategy. It's like a G&W using almost nothing but Hammers or a Luigi going for misfires allt he time. If a Hero player can consistently win by fishing for invincibility or for anything else from Hocus Pocus then he's really GOOD. In that case we should all be thankful that that player decides to use his skill by fishing in Hocus Pocus because if such a player would actually be using a viable strategy with his skills then he would easily win every tournament that he competes in.

No **** you need to have mindgames, I was just showing the mechanical baseline
I know. But that was not my point. My point was that none of which you said served to show that Inkling is a fair balanced character. Infinite Cape also requires a lot of mechanical skill to use effectively, is that technique also balanced and fair?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom