• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does highest port (closest to P4) have priority grabbing a ledge?

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
So I decided to do a 2 vs 2 match where everybody was Captain Falcon.

I was P3 and my partner was P2.

One time we both reached a ledge at the same time and I grabbed the ledge while my partner fell to his doom. Did I get the ledge first based on port priority?

Uair

Banned via Warnings
No... whoever touches the ledge first grabs it. There is no priority of your player choice in ssb64. Only the position you spawn on the map.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
What if two players grab the ledge at the exact same time?
I don't know how about you use TA and try it your self. Even the slightest difference in your animation is going to cause your hitbox to move around, and whoevers hitbox touches that ledges hitbox first wins.

Shears

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure the lowest port (closest to P1) grabs the ledge. The game calculates P1 then P2 then P3 then P4. So as far as port priority goes any same frame actions that happen, the lower the port the higher the priority. By the time it calculates grabbing the ledge for P4 its already calculated P1 and the ledge is already occupied. Thats basically how port priority works, not that the game inherently has this port tie breaker scenario just that the instructions aren't processed simultaneously, but in sequence and its instructions are to process inputs and states going down the ports. So where P1 would beat P4 in almost all port priority scenarios, it "loses" the port priority battle when dying on the same frame because P1 death is calculated before P4 death and then the game determines its ended which is why you can see someone with 5 KOs but losing to a person with 4 KOs.

**I may have my priority order backwards and it may calculate P4 before P1 (right to left) instead of P1 before P4 (left to right). Regardless, this does not change how port priority works but if I have it backwards on which ports are calculated first just read all P1s as P4s and all P4s as P1s.**

Also, smasher (uair), is an idiot so just ignore his responses which are going to be destructive and not constructive.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure the lowest port (closest to P1) grabs the ledge. The game calculates P1 then P2 then P3 then P4. So as far as port priority goes any same frame actions that happen, the lower the port the higher the priority. By the time it calculates grabbing the ledge for P4 its already calculated P1 and the ledge is already occupied. Thats basically how port priority works, not that the game inherently has this port tie breaker scenario just that the instructions aren't processed simultaneously, but in sequence and its instructions are to process inputs and states going down the ports. So where P1 would beat P4 in almost all port priority scenarios, it "loses" the port priority battle when dying on the same frame because P1 death is calculated before P4 death and then the game determines its ended which is why you can see someone with 5 KOs but losing to a person with 4 KOs.

**I may have my priority order backwards and it may calculate P4 before P1 (right to left) instead of P1 before P4 (left to right). Regardless, this does not change how port priority works but if I have it backwards on which ports are calculated first just read all P1s as P4s and all P4s as P1s.**

Also, smasher (uair), is an idiot so just ignore his responses which are going to be destructive and not constructive.
You're making an assumption. Please TA it so we have proof.

Shears

Smash Master
You're making an assumption. Please TA it so we have proof.
Not an assumption, if you knew anything about how these processors worked, MIPS, asm, etc. you would understand that there is an instruction sequence and so one thing is processed before another, hence creating port priority.

Simple fact you may not know: SSB64 is not magic.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Not an assumption, if you knew anything about how these processors worked, MIPS, asm, etc. you would understand that there is an instruction sequence and so one thing is processed before another, hence creating port priority.

Simple fact you may not know: SSB64 is not magic.
What if it goes backwards? Your attempt to trigger me has failed.

This is common knowledge across all games. Its the same with two people grabbing on the same frame, the lower port gets the grab. Ever heard of port priority?
I don't believe OP had a case in port priority. Most likely one character touching the ledge before the other.

Last edited:

B Link

Smash Lord
This is an interesting question. I'll TAS it when I have time. I have a feeling Shears is right but it'll be fun confirming it, since you'd have to set two player locations to the same position when they wouldn't normally be able to do that xD

Shears

Smash Master
This is an interesting question. I'll TAS it when I have time. I have a feeling Shears is right but it'll be fun confirming it, since you'd have to set two player locations to the same position when they wouldn't normally be able to do that xD
Doesn't need to be same position, characters have different ledge grab positions so you could use different characters from different positions as long as their ledge grab boxes hit the ledge at the same frame. Theres actually a GS code somewhere to show this, its like these purple diamonds or something.

What if it goes backwards? Your attempt to trigger me has failed.
What do you mean if it goes backwards? You understand direction is relative? There is a sequence in instructions, call it forwards or backwards doesn't change that there is an instruction performed before another instruction and there is an order to the operation. Your attempt to counter argue me has failed.

There is port priority, its inherent in the way the game processes each frame. It doesn't matter whether it processes P4 before P1 or P1 before P4, whatever it processes first it always processes first and it isn't random and once you know which it processes first, that port priority will always exist every time you ever play 64 for the rest of time.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Doesn't need to be same position, characters have different ledge grab positions so you could use different characters from different positions as long as their ledge grab boxes hit the ledge at the same frame. Theres actually a GS code somewhere to show this, its like these purple diamonds or something.

What do you mean if it goes backwards? You understand direction is relative? There is a sequence in instructions, call it forwards or backwards doesn't change that there is an instruction performed before another instruction and there is an order to the operation. Your attempt to counter argue me has failed.

There is port priority, its inherent in the way the game processes each frame. It doesn't matter whether it processes P4 before P1 or P1 before P4, whatever it processes first it always processes first and it isn't random and once you know which it processes first, that port priority will always exist every time you ever play 64 for the rest of time.
Not arguing about rng or port priority, just arguing it could be backwards in retaliation. I assumed the OP would have missed the ledge as it's probably what happen even if very slightly. Suggesting his use TA was just to see the proof, luckily B link was triggered by it.

Shears

Smash Master
Not arguing about rng or port priority, just arguing it could be backwards in retaliation. I assumed the OP would have missed the ledge as it's probably what happen even if very slightly. Suggesting his use TA was just to see the proof, luckily B link was triggered by it.
Lol gtfo, your first reply was just telling the guy no and claiming priority doesn't exist. You then later in a second reply told him to TA it.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Lol gtfo, your first reply was just telling the guy no and claiming priority doesn't exist. You then later in a second reply told him to TA it.
Don't tell me what to do. I told him that because port priority never comes into play unless a 1/10000 situation occurs which probably didn't happen.

Yawn

caneut

Smash Ace
Don't tell me what to do. I told him that because port priority never comes into play unless a 1/10000 situation occurs which probably didn't happen.

Yawn
its actually a 1/60th chance smasherx

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
We need to ask studstill. He know all the fine details of this game. He's seen the game code after all.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Lol port priority comes into play very often in this game. As far as ledge grabbing its somewhat rare but it play a bigger role than anyone wants to admit.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
i input a frame 1/60th of a window, you cant do anything after that window, 1/60
We're talking about grabbing the ledge at the exact same time, you have to account for every pixel or smash grid your hitbox moves.

Lol port priority comes into play very often in this game. As far as ledge grabbing its somewhat rare but it play a bigger role than anyone wants to admit.
how?

inb4%hitboxpriority

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
What do you think happens when two people grab at the same time?
Really? Do you believe you are consistently so synced on your grab against someone with the exact same grab hitbox that port priority coems into play?

I think you're all dreadful mistaken... this is a L2P issue not a Port Priority issue. If a DK runs ontop of fox then grabs he can completely miss the fox because his grab extends so far while foxes is much closer. I bet you're assuming thats port priority.

Dismissing endless factors in game, for a black and white conclusion such as port priority. Once again, how about you TA it. @Blink

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
Really? Do you believe you are consistently so synced on your grab against someone with the exact same grab hitbox that port priority coems into play?

I think you're all dreadful mistaken... this is a L2P issue not a Port Priority issue. If a DK runs ontop of fox then grabs he can completely miss the fox because his grab extends so far while foxes is much closer. I bet you're assuming thats port priority.

Dismissing endless factors in game, for a black and white conclusion such as port priority. Once again, how about you TA it. @Blink
You completely avoided my question.

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
You completely avoided my point.
You avoided the question about port priority when grabbing by saying "but what if DK misses when he grabs?". Totally unrelated. All non-tethered grabs have the same hitbox and all come out on frame 6.

Do conservatives not believe in the concept of "Spacetime"?
The framerate of the game fluctuates when playing due to a number of factors. A correct way to define the time interval is one frame distance/frame time when the game is running smoothly and not slowed down.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
You avoided the question about port priority when grabbing by saying "but what if DK misses when he grabs?". Totally unrelated. All non-tethered grabs have the same hitbox and all come out on frame 6.

The framerate of the game fluctuates when playing due to a number of factors. A correct way to define the time interval is one frame distance/frame time when the game is running smoothly and not slowed down.
You're under the assumption I'm talking about a perfect situation, as I've always been I'm still addressing the most realistic outcome. You don't grab it at the same time, someone grabbed it ahead of time. Same with grabs. I feel like all you're doing here is trying to come up with excuses as to why you play the game poorly.

just leave this thread while you still have a shred of dignity lol
Wanna elaborate troll? I'll beat you with grabs only.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Are you saying people literally can't press grab within the same 1/60th of a second?
Do I have to respond? I'm done here. I said from the very begging it was an assumption OP simply missed the grab. It's more than a 1/60th of a second issue because you're dismissinmg the entire framework of the game. You're assuming the onyl situation is that of absolute certainty, meaning your only point is that being the exact same hitbox grabs the ledge at the exact same time, when in reality you have countless other variables to consider. Like whos hitbox actually touched the ledge first, not the timing in which they do... Ever thought maybe if you're grabbing the ledge closer than someone grabbing it from further away you'd ledge grab first?

These forums are pretty boring now in days. Guess im about done since canuet isnt calling me smasherx74 anymore.

Shears

Smash Master
Players grab on the same frame all the time and port priority plays a huge factor in that and it is separate than hitbox extending past hurtbox. In teams, port priority also plays a huge factor that people seem to forget. If you hit two opponents with 1 move, the player with lower priority takes the stale hit of the move.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Players grab on the same frame all the time and port priority plays a huge factor in that and it is separate than hitbox extending past hurtbox. In teams, port priority also plays a huge factor that people seem to forget. If you hit two opponents with 1 move, the player with lower priority takes the stale hit of the move.
IF you believe port priority plays a big role then you have L2P issues.

99.99999% of the time you're making the excuse of port priority, it was because you didn't space correctly.

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
Port four (three if you want to be optimal, but I'm assuming tournament standards) will always have port priority because it's the closest port to Pika which means they can almost always get the blue hat first, putting them at an advantage the whole set.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
IF you believe port priority plays a big role then you have L2P issues.

99.99999% of the time you're making the excuse of port priority, it was because you didn't space correctly.
Yeah spacing was totally the reason my utilt did more damage and knockback to P1 than P4 when I hit both of them at the same time in teams.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Yeah spacing was totally the reason my utilt did more damage and knockback to P1 than P4 when I hit both of them at the same time in teams.
lmao what? Do you know what the weak spot of a hitbox is? apparently not.

Edit: See this is why I made my entire argument, because you guys fundamentally don't understand how the game works...

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace

Edit: See this is why I made my entire argument, because you guys fundamentally don't understand how the game works...
oh sup stud (smasherx your dumber and usual man)

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman

OMG you idiot. Pika's (or Luigi, mario, or maybe Yoshi, who know who shears mains now) doesn't have a weak hitbox.
L2P.
You literally know nothing.
Stay bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom