• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does for glory truly create bad players?

Does for glory create bad players?

• Yes

Votes: 43 52.4%
  • No

Votes: 39 47.6%

• Total voters

Tradermon

Smash Rookie
So I just finished my first semester of college, and before I left, I had the opportunity to play friendlies with my friends. Once I got home, I decided to try for glory, and I'm already regretting it. The input lag is honestly horrid, so it makes it really difficult to practice ledge trumping, extended dash dancing, perfect pivoting, and even combos.

I came to a conclusion that the input lag could be one of the main things that creates bad habits for players, along with only being able to play on FD. Rolling is really safe because of it, and spamming actually works since its harder to react to it with shielding. Not to mention the community is horrid, 10 minutes in and I was already facing a taunt spamming Kirby who name called me after the match lol. Also, although the record book really isn't a thing, it creates the horrible idea that winning is all that matters. So instead of actually practicing and getting better, most people just leave after they lost to me or continue their bad habits. I've realized that my obsession with it in the past has really hindered me from getting better, and almost everyone else at my school who's done for glory as much as me have also been really hindered them as well.

I'm going to try anthers ladder, and play with people around my community more online, but i'm happy to admit that I'm definitely quitting for glory once and for all.

What are your guy's thoughts on for glory?

1FrameLink

Smash Rookie
It creates bad players out of new players or players who aren't playing Sm4sh long and don't yet realise what a cesspit FG is. Good, seasoned players can learn some things from FG so long as you don't take it seriously.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
The topic question and the post question are completely different, so I don't really know which one to answer. But I'll try anyways.
Um, For Glory can be alright if you find the right people or server. Like people who actually know how to play the game or their character. I've had some of these findings on Team For Glory, and I can assure you that they are most certainly one of the best people to fight. If you can't find people like those very once in a while, you should try practicing against Level 9's on your own. Their instantaneous reactions are pretty useful when it comes to acknowledging what moves you should use more often and what less. But back to For Glory. It's pretty good, with its variety and all. You might learn a couple things about MUs.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
So I just finished my first semester of college, and before I left, I had the opportunity to play friendlies with my friends. Once I got home, I decided to try for glory, and I'm already regretting it. The input lag is honestly horrid, so it makes it really difficult to practice ledge trumping, extended dash dancing, perfect pivoting, and even combos.

I came to a conclusion that the input lag could be one of the main things that creates bad habits for players, along with only being able to play on FD. Rolling is really safe because of it, and spamming actually works since its harder to react to it with shielding. Not to mention the community is horrid, 10 minutes in and I was already facing a taunt spamming Kirby who name called me after the match lol. Also, although the record book really isn't a thing, it creates the horrible idea that winning is all that matters. So instead of actually practicing and getting better, most people just leave after they lost to me or continue their bad habits. I've realized that my obsession with it in the past has really hindered me from getting better, and almost everyone else at my school who's done for glory as much as me have also been really hindered them as well.

I'm going to try anthers ladder, and play with people around my community more online, but i'm happy to admit that I'm definitely quitting for glory once and for all.

What are your guy's thoughts on for glory?
As sometime who is pretty much intimidated by the nature of For Glory, got 2-stocked seven times, and therefore stays in For Fun because of it, I'll throw my hat into the ring here.

I didn't notice any input lag, perhaps it was coincidental, and I don't know what dash dancing or ledge trumping is, so I can't comment on that. I don't have a problem with the record book myself, I'm actually grateful there's not a percentage or I'd put Smash down altogether. I do wish you couldn't easily delete the records, instead of having to delete the entire game to do so. I personally lack the capability to be able to correct wrongs after one match, rather it takes me time to adapt to any one playstyle, so I commend you for being able to do that.

Unless you're good, and able to take on Lvl 9 CPU's with no problem, I would advise staying out of For Glory until you can easily do so. Playing with someone who is in your network, and you can get feedback in real time in between matches is the best way to learn.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
To be honest I rarely ever encounter lag of any kind and I play For Glory almost daily. I don't know if I'm just lucky, or if my connection is just good enough to avoid it or what. I'm not saying I never face lag cause there have been some small instances here and there; however I believe it's not as common as people make it out to be. Then again, it seems like the slightest lag can set anyone off.

As for my thoughts on the subject ever since I got Sm4sh and started playing For Glory I've seen a vast improvement in my skill. I don't have very many people to play against IRL nor do I go to tournaments or anything either, so my options are already limited. Of course my improvement could be from just playing the game, but I do believe For Glory has played a part in my improvement as well. If there wasn't a For Glory mode I probably wouldn't even bother playing Online at all and gain the experience and skill I wish to have.

I don't believe it's caused me to learn any bad habits whatsoever because I'm always being challenged by other players of varying skill.

I've smashed against so many people where I was forced to think, observe, and to try new things out just to land a few hits or even a kill. There's been dozens of times where I had to change my play-style and adapt to an opponent to win, or get close to winning anyways.

If someone fails to adapt and try something new then it should be their own fault in my opinion, not For Glory's.

Also you're going to get that sort of rude behavior Online anywhere. It isn't exactly restricted to For Glory. Any Online Game that has some sort of function where people can communicate with each other is obviously going to be abused for insults and rude gestures. It's just the way the internet is and well... Some people get crazy competitive and egotistical when it comes to games, especially online.

I guess it's because I'm not a competitive player but I feel For Glory doesn't make bad players at all. People are going to face lag, people of different skill, rude players, and more there; however I think it is a good practice area for anyone willing and wanting to improve.

For Glory is only as bad as you make it out to be. There's tons of salt there but otherwise I will continue to use that mode to get better.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Will it magically make someone bad if they play it?
No.
Can newer players get bad habits from playing it and trying to emulate whatever they see there?
Yes.
Funny how For Glory seems like it's far more for casual enjoyment than it is for actual competition. There's no way to take it seriously.

however I believe it's not as common as people make it out to be. Then again, it seems like the slightest lag can set anyone off.
The problem is that some people do experience ridiculous lag. Like me! This probably has to do with the country I live in, and that I probably mostly get matched up from people far away from me, while you probably get matched up with people closer than you. Sadly, having a good connection doesn't automatically mean you won't have lag - how far your opponent is from you arguably plays a much bigger role in your connection quality than your ISP. Playing a laggy game is zero fun at all, especially when your opponent coincidentally is using someone who's God-tier under lag (like Little Mac, Pikachu, some people argue Dedede and Cloud).

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Honestly I wouldn't say it makes bad players, but I would say it makes noticeably different players. As someone who plays almost exclusively online, I don't even notice it most of the time, but there is an inherent increase in your input delay when online, however small. This in turn makes the game play out differently from offline, as it effective acts as more startup lag on all actions for all characters, and thus puts more emphasis on hard reads than reaction punishment. For glory probably isn't the best place to go in preparation for an offline tournament or anything, but consistent play online will make you better at playing online, just like offline will make you better at offline.

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
As sometime who is pretty much intimidated by the nature of For Glory, got 2-stocked seven times, and therefore stays in For Fun because of it, I'll throw my hat into the ring here.

I didn't notice any input lag, perhaps it was coincidental, and I don't know what dash dancing or ledge trumping is, so I can't comment on that. I don't have a problem with the record book myself, I'm actually grateful there's not a percentage or I'd put Smash down altogether. I do wish you couldn't easily delete the records, instead of having to delete the entire game to do so. I personally lack the capability to be able to correct wrongs after one match, rather it takes me time to adapt to any one playstyle, so I commend you for being able to do that.

Unless you're good, and able to take on Lvl 9 CPU's with no problem, I would advise staying out of For Glory until you can easily do so. Playing with someone who is in your network, and you can get feedback in real time in between matches is the best way to learn.
I wouldn't count this as a test of skill. lvl 9's just have unfair reactions, (so fast you essentially can't hit them in the air) they aren't actually that good. They get predictable and walk into charging smashes all the time. On top of that, someone might rely on mindgames and play terribly against cpu's but great against humans.

For the original question...No, I don't think it makes you bad at smash, also if your experiencing input lag every game then there is something wrong with your connection not the network itself. Well, anyway it might make bad players not improve if they just spam every game but good players should get better. Also, you can't take those jerks who change their tags to 'Scrub' or 'lol'. You honestly should feel sorry for them if this is what they spend their leisure time doing...

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
For me FG is a way to experience different players and their go to attack routes. Captain Falcon players for instance, will do 3 things at the start of the match if I start off charging my CS (98% of the time out of roughly 1000 matches against a Falcon)

1. Rush in for quick grab (hoping I roll, shield, or try to grab out of charge given his dash grab goes further and faster than my standing grab)
  2. Rush in, powershield and then either attack or grab (hoping I will fire)
  3. Rush in and jump for ariel approach (hoping for reaction to either me rolling, firing, shielding and grabbing out of charging, essentially covering all my immediate 1 button options out of charge, most popular)

These are the typical options for a Captain falcon FG human player at the start of a match against charging. a computer fighter doesn't give me this data, and my friends don't come over enough for me to assess these strategies from them. With this composite data I have developed an alternate option that a falcon cannot anticipate nor punish given its near infinite utility.

Counter Option: While charging at the start of a match input shield with an immediate cancel with jump. Then either
  1. Short hop out of shield cancel for immediate Dair > Up B, Or FJ> FF Uair> Uair> Uair> UpB/or Fair/or Bair
  2. jump cancel into SH AD> Bair for shield damage > PP Utilt/ or Ftilt
  3. My favorite, jump cancel into FJ Nair to hit Falcon in his ariel approach, this happens so quick they all have gotten caught off guard and ate the Nair in my experience.

However these are just a few of the responses to the tested and true typical FG Cpt. Falcon approaches to an opposing charge animation at the start of a match. Being in the air I can react differently to DI and so forth. In my mind and in my practice I have more viable options at this point than the Falcon felt he had a second earlier. I lured him into a rock paper scissors scenario with a small amount of sensible approach vectors.

Why did I just go through all that? Because that is the result, not of Smashboards help, but of FG study. And to further push this point, I just came into the competitive smash world. Smash 4 was the game I realised that Rolling and smashing weren't enough to win. For years I played smash with just a handful of friends and we all sucked, but we didn't know that. So essentially when I stepped into FG for the first time I really was a new player, as noobish as they come.

Its easy to get hostile when discussing FG. Yeah lag in smash is completely unbearable, no one knows that more than me, I use Samus and if I am not at least 99.9% precise on timing my inputs I get destroyed. When you lose 20 games in a row to stupid lag or Trolly jerkwads it's simply torturous. Not to mention, Easy bake characters are a dime a dozen and the most popular. At times I feel like throwing my gamepad through a wall. But I approach FG, for the most part, as a classroom. I identify what beats me, and I find a way, an option to beat it. It may take a long time but I cant help but feel Tremendously better than I was. Sure Smashboard's Samus community helps me out a lot and I'm grateful, but all that I wrote up above, that was all me and FG.
I have an overall win rate of 58.98% (out of 6,000+ matches) last 100 matches is hovering about 67%. I'm not the best Samus, nor the best player at all, but I'm growing, and learning and each week it feels I understand a MU better than I ever have before. If you want to call me a bad player, okay I accept that, but I have a winning record technically and the Samus boards have noticed significant improvement in me over the past months.

As for playing Laggy offline I can only see that being an issue if you dont at least spend some time before or after FG in the training room or offline play. Using training to both prep for and cooldown after FG is a great help to nailing Offline inputting again. Especially after I've analyzed a strategy that gave me my latest loss, I'll then put in time in the lab to work out a counter approach and in turn sharpen my inputs. And I find when I go over to my smashing buddies place and play offline my inputs are fresher and sharper than when I was playing FG an hour prior. Using both resources I feel is best.

I guess what I mean to say is, "The ability to play anyone around the globe with a different playstyle and a different main over 100 times in one night, exposing you to more and more data and techniques is vastly superior to playing with CPU's all night."

Last edited:

Managomous

Smash Cadet
NNID
RanmaTheAncient
Mmmm...

How can FG create bad players? Regardless of what you're doing, I think the more you play, the better you become. Whether it be friendlies with someone in person, or playing FG. And honestly, I think FG gives you more exposure to a variety of different characters/playstyles.

The only time FG is bad is if lag is a factor. In which case, I would just try to find someone else.

More practice= more learning = Hell yeah.

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
I feel like FG doesn't turn good players bad, but it doesn't make new players good. There's no way to really improve when you can't really test techniques reliably, everyone's either way too good for you to even try anything, or so bad that the results you get from trying new things wouldn't work on skilled players. Practicing with a friend who can in person tell you your flaws and let you try out tricks or new characters is really the best way to improve. FG isn't really a place to learn, it's really just a place to use what you know. And when everything people know is things you've learned from FG, that's what creates the cesspool of bad FG players, it's bad players ending up teaching new players bad habits. So, if you're already really good, you can do well on FG without tarnishing your skill. But if you're new, FG is a bad place to learn how to play well.

Managomous

Smash Cadet
NNID
RanmaTheAncient
Hmmmmm,
I really don't agree with that. I think new players can learn certain things when it comes to FG. I've played players who have no experience, and a lot of experience, and i've picked up things from people i've beaten. For example, when I played a falcon for the first time, I learned that his dash grab was really effective. So I learned, that was a really good aspect to Falcon, not to mention other aspects.

So I think from FG you can really learn a lot. Now if you go into FG just trying to win, well then I think you are limiting yourself. If you are going into FG with the mentality that you want to learn certain aspects of the game, then I think that's important. Either way, I think playing in tournaments, friendlies, and playing FG can all teach you different things.

What is considered a bad habit? I mean, if something works, it works no?

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
By bad habits, I mean things like, seeing someone do something that kills you, and then trying to replicate that yourself before trying to find your own playstyle that works for you, and ending up always trying to do something that never works. That can be a common mistake. I remember when I was newer and I kept trying things like that. Like, let's say I get spiked, so then I keep trying to spike people, and I end up messing up because that's all I'm trying to do. So, when I say a bad habit, I mean constantly trying something that doesn't work even though it may have worked for someone else who has the hang of it. What you say is correct. If it works, it works. The problem is when you think something will work, and it doesn't, because you can't quite get it right, which causes the frustration of being unable to do one thing, and then you forget to improve everywhere els because of focusing too hard on one thing. If that all makes sense. And I guess it's different for different people, but that's my personal view on the situation.

Managomous

Smash Cadet
NNID
RanmaTheAncient
But then you become really beast at that one concept, and then go to a tournament because you think you're the ****, and then get rekt and learn so much!

Or you just fail and then quit. In which case, I would say it just isn't meant. Why do something you're not having fun with anymore? =P

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Yellowpikmin476 Yellowpikmin476 did you not read my post? I was new, and I use FG to improve. People who dont think fg is a place to learn are not humble enough to look past the pain of losing to see what was used against them. Try reading what I previously wrote and tell me I'm wrong. I think this whole notion that FG is ruining the quality of the community is complete and utter bull honkey.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
for glory doesnt necessary create bad players. it is a good ground to learn the "character" and its basics and a good way to train the "stuff" thats necessary for being good with said character.

however, for training the MU, stages and the tourny Meta: the For glory is not optimal and a really bad place for training!

to really get better, you need to face against opponent that will defeat you so you will learn from your mistakes. you need to get pressure on yourself, endure it and fight it through until you will get better! thats why playing with friends/tournies and stuff will make you better.

its same training for smash as for training your body to build muscels. unless you dont put up pressure, unless you constantly challenging yourself for harder stuff and always putting a easy way (like only doing regular 5 situps instead for challenging yourself to do 10), you will never get better

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
for glory doesnt necessary create bad players. it is a good ground to learn the "character" and its basics and a good way to train the "stuff" thats necessary for being good with said character.

however, for training the MU, stages and the tourny Meta: the For glory is not optimal and a really bad place for training!

to really get better, you need to face against opponent that will defeat you so you will learn from your mistakes. you need to get pressure on yourself, endure it and fight it through until you will get better! thats why playing with friends/tournies and stuff will make you better.

its same training for smash as for training your body to build muscels. unless you dont put up pressure, unless you constantly challenging yourself for harder stuff and always putting a easy way (like only doing regular 5 situps instead for challenging yourself to do 10), you will never get better
I tend to dissagre, i dont see how playing on fg isnt showing those matchups where you get kicked in the teeth over and over again. I think just because you dont play against that one person over and over again doesnt mean your missing out learning from what they did to beat you. I mean look at what i wrote previously,

I think everyones beef with FG is more an attitude towards it rather than it itself

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
More of your slower moveset is more viable.
Applying shield pressure is more viable.

On one hand, it can condition players to overvalue certain things offline.
On the other hand, it can make things more diverse. More options, and you actually have aggressive tactics like Melee has, an alternative to "bait and wait for your opponent to take the first swing."

So there seems to be this unchallenged notion that online is illegitimate. It's just a different type of game with different rules. Personally it's more interesting and relevant for me, because of the aforementioned, and that I mostly play online. Besides, as long as you think sensibly you can distinguish the two formats and it shouldn't affect your performance in either.

(Or you can refuse to adapt and call my aggressive assault "SPAM". The choice is yours!)

link2702

Smash Champion
For glory creates bad players attitude wise mostly. Smash 4's online mode is quickly becoming a cesspool of hateful arrogant douche bags who have no concept of good sportsmanship. Name tags being used as tools to demoralize and insult opponents, as well as things like tea bagging nonstop in matches. Nintendos report system is poorly implemented and therefore has allowed this to become a rampant issue

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
For glory creates bad players attitude wise mostly. Smash 4's online mode is quickly becoming a cesspool of hateful arrogant douche bags who have no concept of good sportsmanship. Name tags being used as tools to demoralize and insult opponents, as well as things like tea bagging nonstop in matches. Nintendos report system is poorly implemented and therefore has allowed this to become a rampant issue
This is the one aspect i agree with. However bad additude is inevitable when online play is involved. Every online game has this and 10000000000x worse. These are baby cries compared to the foul nature of EVERY OTHER game.
All that aside, the attitudes of fg in no way effects the gameplay aspect of fg.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Even if For Glory had absolutely no lag, even if it had absolutely no haters, I'd still think it'd make some people have bad habits.
For example, if someone rolls as their only way of transportation during a match and it works, then they'll continue to use it. Then, they find other people who roll a lot and it just ends up the way it is now.
Still, we have something most of those people don't, and that's Smashboards. If we make a conscious effort to bait, to punish, etc. the game should eventually reward us for doing so, otherwise either you're not doing it right, competitive play is useless against people who roll a lot (it isn't), or there's lag (which there usually is).

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that basically For Glory rewards people who do "For Glory things" (e.g. projectile spam) but it will reward competitive play even more. Just keep going around For Glory until you find those few people who are actually good at the game.
sooo:
- People who use only For Glory will most likely get bad habits
- People who use Smashboards and For Glory should be able to get pretty good
- For higher level play, just use Anther's Ladder

...but that's just what I think.

I'm still curious about how much exactly people are running into lag, haters, etc. Some people make it sound like every single match, but for me I see lag like 2 times out of 5, haters about 1 time out of 30.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Even if For Glory had absolutely no lag, even if it had absolutely no haters, I'd still think it'd make some people have bad habits.
For example, if someone rolls as their only way of transportation during a match and it works, then they'll continue to use it. Then, they find other people who roll a lot and it just ends up the way it is now.
Still, we have something most of those people don't, and that's Smashboards. If we make a conscious effort to bait, to punish, etc. the game should eventually reward us for doing so, otherwise either you're not doing it right, competitive play is useless against people who roll a lot (it isn't), or there's lag (which there usually is).

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that basically For Glory rewards people who do "For Glory things" (e.g. projectile spam) but it will reward competitive play even more. Just keep going around For Glory until you find those few people who are actually good at the game.
sooo:
- People who use only For Glory will most likely get bad habits
- People who use Smashboards and For Glory should be able to get pretty good
- For higher level play, just use Anther's Ladder

...but that's just what I think.

I'm still curious about how much exactly people are running into lag, haters, etc. Some people make it sound like every single match, but for me I see lag like 2 times out of 5, haters about 1 time out of 30.
Try doing any rolling or prectile spamming in fg as samus and just see if that helps you win. I think your overgeneralizing quite alot.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Try doing any rolling or prectile spamming in fg as samus and just see if that helps you win. I think your overgeneralizing quite alot.
Maybe. I didn't mean to say that people have rolling and projectiles as their only actions, but they lean more towards those if it works.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
For Glory DOES have the capability to create bad players. Here's an example

"So, I'm a new player and going to For Glory. I see an excessive Rolling Samus and that beats me! Hey I should maybe add more rolling to my gameplay!"

For Glory won't really effect you if you're a player who knows what they're doing. On the contrary it can effect you if you're a new player who doesn't really have a clue what they're doing. It just depends.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Does For Glory create bad players? Not really in my opinion if it's in terms of skills.

Does it show bad sportsmanship though? Most definitely.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
For Glory does not create bad players, I started the game off on for glory for about.... 5/6 months, I met my crew HM and started playing Anthersladder and got top G&W there with a ranking of Platinum I 59

And I took for glory very seriously.

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
I'd say for glory does turn new people into learning bad habits such as smash spamming or rolling a lot. New players will usually copy what they see, thinking it's a good strategy, when in fact they're becoming the fg players we all hate.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
I can certainly say it'd made me more sour as a human being over a long period of time. Until I realized maybe I should stop taking this mode, or rather this whole game seriously.

I mean, you can learn new things from playing online, heck, it's a global network of different players; of course you're bound to see something new. The issue is that many players find themselves having to deal with emotions rather than actual fundamentals in a match since well it's pretty understandable why you'd be ticked after going for a kill, missing because of a lag spike, your character does nothing instead, person taunts after punishing what would have been your kill confirm, proceeds to say "U CANT PLAY"/"GET REKT"/"-racism-"/"homophobia"/etc. etc.
that's why I really go in for the sake of just trying characters out, "just playing 1v1s for kicks" so to speak
maybe I'll practice with Ryu, but again, I'm walking into these streets with the assumption that everyone I face just happens to hate my guts, lmao

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Sakurai was true to his word when he said that there'd be a matchmaking system... Mostly you'll get paired with players with a similar amount of time and wins put in.

As a result, players with the right mindset can actually learn and improve from continued use. I'm not bad by any definition, but I still regularly find players better then me on for Glory. More often I find players worse then me, although they're not noobs or spammers or anything.

For the most part more skill means more maturity too, so working your way through the trash can be worth it.

TheHeroKing

Smash Cadet
NNID
GIRATlNA
For Glory doesn't suddenly turn you into some sort of rolling scrub. You can learn a lot of neat stuff from random players. It definitely helps if the connection is good and the opponent is skilled. My Smash 4 Meta Knight was pretty bad until some Meta Knight guy beat me into the ground like 10 times and showed me some cool moves. Now I like to think of myself as a pretty decent Meta Knight player. Experience is never bad. Don't choose to waste it by throwing it away.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Update:
Turns out, this seems to be a version-dependent phenomenon imho as I've just realized by the time of typing this.

A LOT of the stereotypical videos you see on For Glory? You might've realized that it's all from the Wii U version. By definition of that version being 'better', of course more people want to flock to it.

By that proxy, it makes sense for more dedicated players to stay behind somehow on the 3DS version, the version that I play.
Fortunately, I've been consistent on getting some decent matches via me playing on a New 3DS XL, but that's besides the point.

And on that note; I personally did not vote since it would break that tie. For Glory does both at once. I used to be a very bad player but right now I'm trying to master habits that can help me out one by one.

For sure, For Glory is a possibly slower process in helping you get better due to unclear matchmaking and it being only Omega Stage format (especially on the Wii U version where there are more stereotypically-'bad' players), but there's possibly better chances to really test yourself to the limit (which may be too much for your skill level if that's the case) for the 3DS version as you meet more niche players on there.

TL; DR: You'll more likely see more stereotypical trashy players on the Wii U version (who spam nametags) as opposed to more dedicated ones on the 3DS version. The latter ones CAN back up their mockery from my prior ranting experiences.

Last edited:

TheHappyDino7

Smash Rookie
For Glory does and does not make bad players. If you are starting Sm4sh and go straight to ForGlory, chances are you will develop bad habits from players. Not all people on ForGlory are bad, sometimes you might encounter a ProSmasher. On the flip side, if you have good knowledge of your main and go to ForGlory, you can beat certain habits players have, making you better know that character.

Sacren Drake

Smash Rookie
Well I just wan't to throw something out there that I didn't notice mentioned. I play on 3ds and my friends are pretty darn good players (who actually know how to play the game and their characters). I main Kirby and Roy, two characters that I have to get real close to land my hits, and are considered low tier. I can beat my friend who has made it to the semi finals of two tournaments out of four. But the moment I get on FG I begin to consistently lose. Sometimes when the match starts with a new lobby, my opponent just SD's because they see Kirby (if you don't know, Kirby has a stigma for Kirbycides, and just a bad character in general). This bothers me a lot because I play a good Kirby but when someone just SD's or has a godly character, cough* cough* Bayo and Cloud, I try to win but I have no approach. On top of this I often am put into a horrid match up because Kirby has no chance against about 23% of other characters (who are the most commonly used). So I don't know what to think some times now because I've been playing since melee and I'd like to think I'm good but FG always makes me doubt myself after loosing five matches straight.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If you want to be an online only player, I don't see why it would.

Acrete

Smash Cadet
FG helped me become better. I was a massive troll and got banned multiple times.

The real learning came from being stuck in smash hell. That’s where all the skilled players end up. 10k matches and probably half of them were in hell.

Top Bottom