• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does c-stick for tilt improve Fox's combo game?

Does changing c-stick to attack instead of keeping it at smash attack improve anything?

• Total voters

Ferntendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ferntendo128
3DS FC
2724-0900-1828
This had popped in my mind while I was watching some recorded tournament matches with fox. And as a fox main I would like to know if any of you believe that changing c-stick for tilt attacks work better for his combo game?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Lol, the title of this thread is different than the question of the poll.

No, it does not necessarily improve the combo game. But imo, being able to perfect pivot -> f-tilt u-tilt is really good when you're playing the neutral and need to sneak in a hit confirm.

Last edited:

Ferntendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ferntendo128
3DS FC
2724-0900-1828
Lol, the title of this thread is different than the question of the poll.

No, it does not necessarily improve the combo game. But imo, being able to perfect pivot -> f-tilt is really good when you're playing the neutral and need to sneak in a hit confirm.
Essentially I just wanted to know if changing cstick to doing tilts helped anything. But thanks for responding.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I find it much easier to SHAC Uair with c-stick on attack. PP tilts are also really good, of course. Being able to move in the air without losing any mobility is also very good - I find with c-stick on Smash, my Bairs sometimes send me in the direction of my Bair for some reason. That said, I find it hard to get Down Smash into my combos or get quick Up Smashes on reaction with c-stick on attack. It does take a lot of getting used to so I'd only change it if you know you have no tournaments coming up or something.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I'd imagine it would make it much harder to pull off a running up smash, which I find extremely important for nailing kills. It could be useful to help set up other kill options, though, like back/up air.

Hattie

Smash Rookie
I can never make my mind up on this. In friendlies, I tend to do better with C stick on tilts, because technically Fox's options are improved, especially with prefect pivots. Under tournament pressure though, those quick up smashes are pretty important :-).

Ferntendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ferntendo128
3DS FC
2724-0900-1828
I can never make my mind up on this. In friendlies, I tend to do better with C stick on tilts, because technically Fox's options are improved, especially with prefect pivots. Under tournament pressure though, those quick up smashes are pretty important :-).
Yeah but relying smash attacks to force a kill is really not the most optimal strategy. I mean forward tilt does set up to upsmash pretty well to a certain extant but... it's so much easier to do running upsmash with c stick to smash. but it'd would be so much easier to land uptilts with c stick to tilt and ledgeguarding would probably easier with being able to down angle forward tilt with ease. decisions decisions decisions. ugh.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Some things I do with Attack stick so I can do my smash attacks:
"L" is my jump button, though the other shoulder button works too.
A+B Smash is on.

With a shoulder button as my jump, I can freely use it to do jump + instant full hop aerials
:GCLT:+:GCCN:

It can be tricky to do smash attacks, so that's where A+B smash comes in. Unless you map your attacks to different buttons, the A and B buttons are fairly close together to be able to hit with your thumb at the same time. Then it's just a matter of doing jump cancelled u-smashes to get that KO. I play with tap jump off since my L button is my full hop already. Here's how I do my JC u-smashes:
:GCLT:+(:GCU:)(:GCA:+:GCB:)

It's a bit tricky to get used to, but I don't want to go back now that I'm used to it.

Ferntendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ferntendo128
3DS FC
2724-0900-1828
Some things I do with Attack stick so I can do my smash attacks:
"L" is my jump button, though the other shoulder button works too.
A+B Smash is on.

With a shoulder button as my jump, I can freely use it to do jump + instant full hop aerials
:GCLT:+:GCCN:

It can be tricky to do smash attacks, so that's where A+B smash comes in. Unless you map your attacks to different buttons, the A and B buttons are fairly close together to be able to hit with your thumb at the same time. Then it's just a matter of doing jump cancelled u-smashes to get that KO. I play with tap jump off since my L button is my full hop already. Here's how I do my JC u-smashes:
:GCLT:+(:GCU:)(:GCA:+:GCB:)

It's a bit tricky to get used to, but I don't want to go back now that I'm used to it.
I'll definitely try practicing this after the next tournament I go to. This helps a lot actually.

West End

Smash Cadet
I think that Having to c stick set to attack would improve fox's combo game immensely. One thing he benefits off majorly is his quick and movable arials. With the c-stick set to attack, you can do sliding arilas. With your c stick set to smash, these will become if not impossible, then extremely hard to pull off. I find that after that, alot of things are just easier, such as pulling perfect pivot tilts. Sure, being avble to do perfect pivots smashes are nice, but are impractical for fox, as his smashes are somewhat laggy, and you can eat a pretty hard punish from most characters. One thing no one has mentioned, however, is setting your c stick to special and pulling of bidou. What do you guys think about that?

wcantu5567

Smash Rookie
I also agree, I have my c stick for tilts and it helps me convert my up tilt to mostly all my aerials.

Top Bottom